GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I still can't understand what DC was thinking with the 300 it may have a nice interior but it is really hit with a ugly stick, really hard.
Yep, it looks to me very much like a retro-modern Dodge Diplomat, at least the grille. The body sideview actually reminds me very much of the 1980 Dodge St. Regis my friend drove many years ago in high school.
The thinking behind the 300 is that it is the return of the all American sedan. You know, the only kind we can make are all boxy - from the German point of view. <_<

However, this car is suppose to, according to the marketing and styling people in Auburn Hills, represent the good old days of the United States in the 50s. The 300 is suppose to be inspired by the 1955 Chrysler C-300. See, they can't even get the name right. The 300C was the 1957 model that looked a lot more sleek and stylish. This car is suppose to represent the 50th Anniversary of the C-300 and the return of the American sedan. The 300 letter cars weren't even sedans. They were 2 door hardtops and convertibles that were in comparision to today's Vipers, not sedans with a wimpy 190 hp 2.7 V-6 engine as the base. That was the 300 line (non lettered cars) in the 60s.

Now, I've grown up around MoPar all my life. I had great respect for the old 300 letter cars. Today, I'm just not into this German engineered, American styled Bentley look-alike. Some people like it, but I'd rather pass. I like vehicles that represent the pass while keeping the great heritage alive. That is why I left the MoPar camp for a 2003 Mustang Mach 1.

As for the St. Regis and Dipolmat, I have to agree. We must be about the same age because I never had high praise for those boxy cars either. They were nice police cars, but that was it. I prefer more aerodynamic packages.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I hate to be critical, however, I have seen it at NAIAS, the concept at the GM Tech Center during the EOD exhibit, and today there was one going thru the intersection on my way to class, and this is my impression. It reminds me of a good retro, one that captures the essence, but does not mimic, but at the same time, I feel it’s…at odds with the Chrysler lineup. The crossfire looks odd as well as I saw a Cream colored one the other day at a stoplight. I must admit the 300 reminds me of the old MB limo, Uma Thurman rides in in the movie Batman & Robin. It’s got the same presence, Wide, high belt line, and low profile. I’m biased, yes, but I am a Pontiac guy, I love all cars, but Pontiac is me, and while I liked the B pillar back on the 300M, the new 300 will not grow on me.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@Apr 1 2004, 05:42 PM
hmmm for less than a cts-v ill take an STi or EVO spank the caddy all day long, with money to spare.
There's a lot to refute about this, but I won't be a party to highjacking this thread to something that couldn't be more unrelated to the original topic.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
This car looks a lot less like the low graceful, pathbreaking '57s (which, I must note, set the low wide shape of large American cars for a solid 25 years following its introduction) than it looks like the early '50s Chrysler sedans.

It's got a high beltline, boxy lower body and a low greenhouse with wide pillars. It's a '51, not a '57.

Here's a '51 (Plymouth, actually, but the same body):

http://www.spacey.net/cconnor/gerry_shaffer_51.jpg

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA@Apr 3 2004, 01:43 PM
This car looks a lot less like the low graceful, pathbreaking '57s (which, I must note, set the low wide shape of large American cars for a solid 25 years following its introduction) than it looks like the early '50s Chrysler sedans.

It's got a high beltline, boxy lower body and a low greenhouse with wide pillars. It's a '51, not a '57.

Nah, I still think it reminds me of the bigger, boxier Chrysler sedans in the late 50s and in the 70s. Big, boxy, powerful, sexy. Nice... :D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Originally posted by AMcA@Apr 3 2004, 07:43 PM

I agree that it looks like the boxy cars from the early 50s. When I first saw the 300C, I instantly thought of K.T. Keller's comment about designing cars so that gentlemen would not have to take off their hats to get into the car. Chrysler was behind in styling back then.

The forward look of the '57, '58, and '59 models really helped Chrysler get noticed again. I saw that same styling ideology in the LH cars. I guess I should as Tom Gale liked the older Chrysler designs of Virgil Exner. I guess the Germans know better, though.

In any case, I would take my family's '59 DeSoto over the new 300C just for its nice, low look. My dad, a long time MoPar fan, saw the high beltline and boxy shape on the Magnum and commented about how it reminded him of the 1950 Dodge Wayfarer that was at the Auto Show. He didn't care for the Magnum or 300 all that much.

To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@Apr 1 2004, 04:11 PM
Yea not nearly as awe inspiring as the W cars :rolleyes: You want some more plastic cladding with your GTP :lol:
I'm sorry my friend, but for sure you sound like you never drove a w body...
they were great cars!

·
Registered
633 Posts
did I say anything about the drivetrain. I think that GM has done very well over the years in their drivetrains... it the design center that need HUGE help.

Not to go to off topic but the numbers don't lie. Both the STi and EVO will out class the CTS-v on the track. They will do so for 20K less. Both cars are very well respected world wide as very high performance sedans, and for 50K I would expect Caddy to reach at least these levels. It's benchmark of the M3 would also hand the caddy its arse. I will give you that the caddy is a little less boy racer, but take the STi whos intierior is as nice as the CTS in materials, fit and finish, remove the rear wing and it becomes much more subtle.

If you want affordable, well rounded performance you need not look to GM.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by bakerna@Apr 1 2004, 08:42 PM
The 300c styling isnt actually that bad, line it up next to a 300m or an older c300 and you'll see the design cues jump out at you immediately, it's high class, not a sports car....and even then....it's ot more get up and go than almost anything the general can offer....not to mention RWD....
Resemblance to a 300M? This boxy retro-Diplomat doesn't look anything like a 300M. 300M is a beautiful, sleek, round, and aerodynamic car, I would love to own one if it weren't for the poor IIHS crash test ratings and fragile transaxle.

Pass the crack pipe because I see ZERO resemblance to the 50's! 50's was a time of rounded, fat-fendered cars with tailfins. 300C is a box on wheels with a huge egg-crate grille, like the boxymobiles of the late 70's and early 80's. It's shape is almost a dead ringer for a retro version of early 80's cars like the Diplomat, St. Regis, Ford Granada, boxy Caprice, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@Apr 8 2004, 05:23 PM
This car has very up scale proportions, it looks to take cues from the likes of Rolls, and bently.
Those are also ugly cars that have remained relatively unchanged in styling since the early 70's!!! A new Rolls looks almost just like a 72 Rolls! They are nothing more than status symbols that old stodgy people who watch Antiques Road Show can appreciate.

The 300C may have the boxy shape of the Rolls down, but there's nothing prestigious looking about an egg-crate grille. You won't find an egg-crate on a Rolls or Bentley.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree the egg crate grill, as we should call it, is large and overpowering but there's nothing prestigious about American cars these days near this price range to begin with. This car is so different than what anyone is doing right now; I think Chrysler is aiming with a vengeance at a segment in the United States that has flown below the radar screen of manufacturers trying to compete with Japanese and German rivals. I don't know how well a monster like this would do overseas and you can argue about the front end, but there is no doubting this behemoth belongs on American highways. At 4046 lbs, this is a huge car for the money. We are talking BMW 7 Series and Audi A8 here and even Cadillac’s largest offerings. With a massive 340hp 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 there is no direct competition to be found and with a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds, some had better hope Chrysler doesn’t make it lighter or more powerful anytime soon. I hope it does. If Chrysler can get it down to a Lexus LS430 5.9 seconds, there is going to be a huge killing field. At 33,000 dollars, I imagine dealers convincing people to bite and a few to even bite a little more than they can chew. This car is going to temp many people to move above the tame leather interior family sedan with costly options they thought they were out to get. Mercedes is offering safety and transmission features that it has already paid to develop, keeping cost down. Styling is subjective, but numbers are objective and with these numbers, both domestics and imports are looking and listening. This car has so much potential, I doubt GM and others are going to sit idle while this car carves out it's own, but if they didn’t see it coming they surely have some engineers working overtime as we speak, no matter how ugly or beautiful the public thinks it is.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.