GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, no big deal. I went to the GM.com site and updated my email subscriptions. It asked for all the vehicles had interest in. Camaro was not on the list. FIREBIRD was. WTF? Then I realized a few weeks ago I was on pontiac.com and saw a blip about the firebird....past, present and future of pontiac. Now I realize they could be talking about the GTO and other concepts, but, I get the distinct feeling we will see our beloved bird again.

Keeping the faith,
SyK

·
Registered
475 Posts
I doubt it as long as Boob Lutz is running things.

He's already said, and I quote, "The Firebird's day is gone."

Too bad too, because the Firebird was always cooler than the Camaro. I'm biased though...

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Pontiac gets the GTO, Chevy gets the Camaro. I think that's how it's going to be.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fire inside Pontiac present and future.
Bold, beautiful, passionate, rebellious. Few cars have defined our lives and times like the great Pontiac Firebird. From the first models, to the awesome Trans Am, to the magnificent madness of the Super Duty 455. There's a story in each and every one; a piece of our past and even a glimmer of the future. Check it out...
Take that how you want, I prefer to see it as it is stated. I refuse to give up!*psycho laugh* :woot2:

Linkidy link link

·
Registered
475 Posts
In another thread, I've already had this argument. :)

I think the Firebird will be back, but not until Bob Lutz leaves or dies of a heart attack (hopefully the latter).

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm ordering the documentary on the Firebird from historychannel.com.

There's no camaro documentary there though. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
This needs to end once and for all. If you go to pontiac.com, on the front page under News/Events there are a sires of links under it. One is Heritage. Under Heritage are the Pontiac Timeline, GTO, and Firebird. For all concerned those 3 links have been there for the last year and a half, if not longer. The Firebird link was added after the announcement of the departure of the Firebird. The GTO link was added after the announcement that GM was bringing it back. The Pontiac Timeline has been there since the website was created.

If you go to the Chevy site there is no Heritage link for Camaro, among others. It should be noted that the people at Pontiac are far more in love and far more in favor of bringing back the Firebird than the people at Chevy care about the Camaro. What that means in terms of the future is anyone’s guess. :blink:

I have stated before on these boards that since the demise of the Firebird, the car has popped up on TV shows and ads more and more.

I personally think the Firebird will be back. It will only be a few years from now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm sorry, but I really don't see the 'Bird coming back soon. Yeah, I miss it, but I kinda hope that the Camaro will pick up some of the "Essence of BadA**" slack for '07, if only with the SS.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I can only imagine the level of mullet-rage we are going to see when Boob Lutz displays the new Holden Designed and Built 2007 Camaro.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm not guessing on looks; my crystal ball's in the shop. As for where it's built it doesn't matter to me. I'd rather have a car that is actually different setup rather than a different marketing strategy, as GM did in the 90s. I'd rather have a real Camaro, no matter where it's designed. If we have to go to Australia for it, big deal. GM is an international corporation, not a national corporation. It's got divisions that do stuff better than others, and it took Bob to figure that out and get it through GM's ultra-thick skull.

All I want is a car that looks like it could be a Camaro (NOT RETRO!), has muscle under the hood :eatarrow: , and is RWD.

·
Registered
475 Posts
GM releases 2007 Camaro Concept Photo!

(2007 Camaro Concept)

"I believe if the Camaro had continued in production since 2002, this is exactly what it would have looked like" - Bob Lutz

Also released, 2007 Chevrolet Chevelle Concept Photo!

(2007 Chevelle Concept)

"GM really needs to start being more like BMW, so we're basically making the same car over and over agin. These stupid 'Mericanay's' are too dumb to notice." - Bob Lutz

Chevy. We'll be there. As a clone of some other company.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh wait, and this just in!

GM releases 2007 Firebird Concept Photo!

(2007 Firebird Concept)

"Orignally, I didn't plan on bringing this car back. However, once I realized how easy it was to sell the Ho... I mean this Pontiac, yeah that's the ticket.. Pontiac, to the sheeple of America, I knew GM just couldn't pass up the chance." - Bob Lutz

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish they would make it a Holden just to piss you off.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
T/A chill out. Lutz is good for GM. Lutz did not kill the Fbody Zallera, Roger Smith, Brand Management did Lutz actually likes cars and has been in the business before most of us were born. I will take a car guy attempting to fix GM anyday over someone who likes brand management and thinks cars just need to be marketed like shampoo or toothpaste. Remember the 90s? At least Lutz has a plan and so far it has been to bring out the Solstice concept, the very fast return of the GTO, and I am sure some more great concepts and new models at this years NA Autoshow. Is Lutz perfect? No, the imo the Malibu doesn't look like anything and may be a great platform but it looks terrible. I would love it if the Firebird/Camaro had continued as a model past 2002 but GM did no investment in updating the platform, interior, etc. In addition the buying public is in love with trucks and SUVs not coupes. I wish people preferred rwd coupes to trucks and SUVs but they don't right now. T/A Freak you really are a freak wishing death on someone? Take a pill. The future of Pontiac and GM is much better with Lutz than without him.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Originally posted by Canuck@Dec 9 2003, 02:10 PM
T/A chill out. Lutz is good for GM. Lutz did not kill the Fbody Zallera, Roger Smith, Brand Management did Lutz actually likes cars and has been in the business before most of us were born. I will take a car guy attempting to fix GM anyday over someone who likes brand management and thinks cars just need to be marketed like shampoo or toothpaste. Remember the 90s? At least Lutz has a plan and so far it has been to bring out the Solstice concept, the very fast return of the GTO, and I am sure some more great concepts and new models at this years NA Autoshow. Is Lutz perfect? No, the imo the Malibu doesn't look like anything and may be a great platform but it looks terrible. I would love it if the Firebird/Camaro had continued as a model past 2002 but GM did no investment in updating the platform, interior, etc. In addition the buying public is in love with trucks and SUVs not coupes. I wish people preferred rwd coupes to trucks and SUVs but they don't right now. T/A Freak you really are a freak wishing death on someone? Take a pill. The future of Pontiac and GM is much better with Lutz than without him.
My thoughts exactly!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Bob Lutz also said "don't expect a new Camaro in the next 30 years" and here the 5th gen is 3 years away........

Whats all this BS about Holden building all of GMs RWD performance cars? I think it's already been proven that the Sigma-Mass/Lite or whatever its called is going to be produced in North America. So just get over the fact that the Firebird/Trans Am is dead.................. for now........

I too see no reason for the Lutz bashing. He's doing a great job, and GM would be in serious trouble without him.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Lutz is not a car guy... if you see the list of cars he owns/collects, you won't see one American car on there.

He should be running Mercedes or Fiat or something...

The problem here isn't the fact that Firebird is dead, it's the fact the new GTO is less than it SHOULD be.

·
Registered
750 Posts
WHAT THE ****, does it matter what kind of cars he has. Hes still a car guy, I would trust him a million years over some ******* bean counter that drives an american car. TAFREAk get over it already were all getting tired of your useless comments.

Canuck HERE HERE

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wish that they would birng back the firebird but if they cannot make it as good a quality car as the rest of the camaros and firebirds have been then they should not waste their time. Whether or not the cars are made in the U.S. is not as important as them being made with quality. My T/A was made in Canada but it runs strong and represents American ingenuity even though it was not built here. That Bob Lutz guy needs to realize that you dont have to imitate a successful car company to make good cars you just need to build quality cars for "affordable" prices. BMW sucks! :chef: :mrt:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by TAFreak@Dec 9 2003, 07:26 PM
Lutz is not a car guy... if you see the list of cars he owns/collects, you won't see one American car on there.
You need to have an American car to be considered a "car guy?" Really? In what world do these two things need to go together? I know many "car guys" who own a wide variety of cars...and many don't have an American car in the collection. Some of the most fantastic (and collectible) cars ever built weren't American.

By the way, doesn't Lutz have a Cunningham in his collection? Last I checked, Cunningham was American.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts