1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson Reviews The Cadillac CTS-V
October 12, 2008​
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article4920262.ece

here's a little piece of the article

And that brings me, briefly, to the BMW M5. It’s a little bit complicated perhaps, with all its various settings, but provided you have the time to set it up properly, it goes, stops and steers with a panache and a zest that’s extremely rare among four-door saloons. Lovely, except it costs £65,890, and these days you could buy an island for less.

So now we arrive at the Cadillac CTS-V, which you can buy, in the UK, for about £47,000. That’s a saving of roughly £19,000. And that equates to approximately 3,800 gallons of fuel. You could drive an M5 as though it were made from bits of your children from now to the end of time and you’d never make up the difference.

So what, then, are the drawbacks to the Cadillac? Well, first of all, it’s a Cadillac, so everyone will think you are a Wilmslow pimp. And second, this hot version will be available with only left-hand drive.

Depreciation? Yes, a Cadillac will plummet as though it’s being fuelled by melted-down Bradford & Bingley executives. But the M5 is not exactly a 10-year government bond, is it?

So make no mistake: financially, the Cadillac smashes the M5, completely and utterly. And here’s the next part. Round the Nürburgring, it smashes it again. With an ordinary part-time racing driver at the wheel, an automatic version of the hottest ever Caddy went round in 7min 59sec — a record for any four-door saloon.

Part of the reason is its 6.2 litre supercharged V8, which develops a dizzying 556bhp. That’s 49 more than you get from an M5. The Cadillac is mind-bogglingly fast. The manual version I drove will hit 191mph. And it accelerates with a verve that truly leaves you breathless. It also makes an utterly irresistible growl. Like an AMG Mercedes but more refined. More muted.

And now you are expecting the “but”. But there isn’t one. Maybe the steering is a bit too light, but other than this it handles beautifully when you have the Ferrari-style magnetic dampers in “sport”, and rides soothingly when you switch the knob to “comfort”. This is unusual for an American car, which usually can do neither thing properly.

Even more surprising is the interior. Trimmed by the people who do the Bugatti Veyron, it is — and you won’t believe this — a nice place to be. The seats are by Recaro, the leather is hand-stitched and the graphics don’t appear to have come from Amstrad circa 1984. You would swear you were sitting in something European.

Of course, you’d expect the illusion to be gone when you look at the exterior. It isn’t. There are no badges written in the typeface used on northern wedding invitations. There’s no onyx. Maybe the chicken-wire radiator grille is a bit sudden, but then again, have you seen the front of a Bentley recently? No. I’m sorry but it’s a good-looking car, this.

As you may have gathered, then, I like it. I believe that ultimately an M5 would be more satisfying, a touch more crisp. But if you had an M5 you’d have to drive it carefully, to save fuel. With the Cadillac, you can blast through the recession at 191mph, knowing you made the savings when you bought it.

The Clarksometer

You'd be mad to buy anything else

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
SO, let me get this straight:

After months and months of hearing how gasoline would never be below $3 a gallon again and oil would destroy the US -- we see gas and crude prices plummet in the last two months.

Ford is considering selling their stake in Mazda -- would would seem to be a HUGE mistake. Unless Ford is in desperate need of money, which would be even WORSE news.

GM and Chrysler are looking to possibly Merge - and there will undoubtedly be brands cut, egos bruised, and all around pain in the process.

The Stock Exchange dropped over 2000 points in three weeks over the mess in the market -- and American seniors who were just about to retire discovered that they now HAVE to work a few more years.

AND Clarkson loves an American car with no "IFs ANDs or BUTs" -- AND its a Cadillac?

That's it - that last is certainly confirmation that the Apocolypse is nigh!!!

:D

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Just proves that GM was serious about making a first class M5 killer.!!
Finally Clarkson see's the light, and realizes that Americans can make
great cars.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Just proves that GM was serious about making a first class M5 killer.!!
Finally Clarkson see's the light, and realizes that Americans can make
great cars.

Ahaha...very awesone e-Clarkson. Its one of the best e-Clarkson impressions

in the world.

Sometimes you have to pause

in the middle of your post

to get your point across

in the world.

This truely is the end of the world. Whats next, 5 for 5 for Camaro?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
That is a bad headline. Many people in the US never heard of J. C. The few Americans who know who he is could care less what he thinks. Nobody needs j.c. to validate anything they drive.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
That is a bad headline. Many people in the US never heard of J. C. The few Americans who know who he is could care less what he thinks. Nobody needs j.c. to validate anything they drive.
Unfortunately, SOME people do.

But yes, this is truly good news. I want EVERY GM vehicle to get a review like this from him (minus the long irrelevant first half).

·
Premium Member
36,173 Posts
SO, let me get this straight:

After months and months of hearing how gasoline would never be below $3 a gallon again and oil would destroy the US -- we see gas and crude prices plummet in the last two months.

Ford is considering selling their stake in Mazda -- would would seem to be a HUGE mistake. Unless Ford is in desperate need of money, which would be even WORSE news.

GM and Chrysler are looking to possibly Merge - and there will undoubtedly be brands cut, egos bruised, and all around pain in the process.

The Stock Exchange dropped over 2000 points in three weeks over the mess in the market -- and American seniors who were just about to retire discovered that they now HAVE to work a few more years.

AND Clarkson loves an American car with no "IFs ANDs or BUTs" -- AND its a Cadillac?

That's it - that last is certainly confirmation that the Apocolypse is nigh!!!

:D
you forgot one, Jaguar and Land Rover are Indian now.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I love it.. American Muscle!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can't believe it. Check Clarkson for bolts, or panels, or electrodes....or SOMETHING.

I mean, I KNOW for a fact that Euro cars aren't superior as most Euros would like to believe...

I also know that the CTS stomps the crap out of German luxury cars, to such an extent that only a complete and utter buffoon, devoid of any intelligence whatsoever (or possibly so smugly nationalistic that his ears bleed when he hears the Star Spangled Banner) could deny it...

I just honestly believed Jeremy Clarkson was that buffoon.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
I can't believe it. Check Clarkson for bolts, or panels, or electrodes....or SOMETHING.

I mean, I KNOW for a fact that Euro cars aren't superior as most Euros would like to believe...

I also know that the CTS stomps the crap out of German luxury cars, to such an extent that only a complete and utter buffoon, devoid of any intelligence whatsoever (or possibly so smugly nationalistic that his ears bleed when he hears the Star Spangled Banner) could deny it...

I just honestly believed Jeremy Clarkson was that buffoon.
Post of the quarter nominee.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
The BMW M5 is no doubt a nice car, but for me, way too much tech that takes you away from the primary purpose of the car.

In the CTS-V, sport or comfort? Press the button if you need to make a change and then go.

The M5 drive will be an hour behind you as they try to figure out what setting they need to be in.

Cadillac will love this review, Clarkson, for better or for worse is a harsh critic of the American cars, a review like this will do wonders for Cadillac in Europe.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.