GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Neat idea, but sort of childish. Porsche does that, but as car keys.
Is that a problem? I think it's a great idea for a brand to reach that child we all have inside of us. I would personally love it, but then again, I used to collect these.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neat idea, but sort of childish. Porsche does that, but as car keys.
Dude we spend a big part of our lives arguing on GMI about door handles, spoilers, grills, wheel arch shapes, the color of Buick's badge etc and you think this is childish lol?!

Edit: to clarify, when I say "we" I mean "you" especially!

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
I would kill to get one of those with a Cadillac purchase. Even if the buyer finds it childish, they can give it to their son/daughter, and they'll hopefully learn to like Cadillac at a young age. And then, maybe when they get older, they can buy one.

In other words, it would make them Cadillac fans at a young age.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Uh I have one of a Seville STS that I bought when I owned mine. I loved that car, and I love the diecast.
I have a Silverado diecast. It's not like my truck, but close enough.

Reactions: ryannel2003

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Is that a problem? I think it's a great idea for a brand to reach that child we all have inside of us. I would personally love it, but then again, I used to collect these.
So did I, when I was 5. Leave the diecast cars to Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and whoever else makes them.

Buying and owning a Cadillac shouldn't have any puerile aspects to the experience.

Why is it childish?
You're right, every Cadillac should come with a small diecast replica of it, as well as a rare stamp and some foreign currency to cover everyone's collections. Maybe a Lego set, too.

Dude we spend a big part of our lives arguing on GMI about door handles, spoilers, grills, wheel arch shapes, the color of Buick's badge etc and you think this is childish lol?!

Edit: to clarify, when I say "we" I mean "you" especially!
Door handles are a material and tactile part of the experience. It's one part of the car you KNOW someone is going to touch and that is going to see abuse; as such, it should be given whatever attention it needs.

The spoilers on the ATS-V and CTS-V look dumb, but if you can buy one without it... who cares?

Grilles, don't care.

Square arches are at the very least a distinguishing aesthetic feature if not a heritage cue (which I believe they are).

Color of Buick's badge, don't care.

Do I think buying ANY car, never mind a $50,000-$100,000 car, and getting a free Matchbox is stupid and banal enough to be laughable? Yes, I do.

Some enthusiasts might care (like the mob on GMI), but to the rest of the hoi polloi, it would be stupid.

I would kill to get one of those with a Cadillac purchase. Even if the buyer finds it childish, they can give it to their son/daughter, and they'll hopefully learn to like Cadillac at a young age. And then, maybe when they get older, they can buy one.

In other words, it would make them Cadillac fans at a young age.
Or they can throw it out. Or GM can just have them made by a third party and someone can hunt for it if they really wanted one, thus adding to the thrill of owning a footlong diecast car.

Maybe they should give out candy bars, too.

I liked Cadillacs because I appreciated heritage and history and because I respected and continue to respect my dad's idealizations of the brand's past.
I liked Mercedes because my dad bought them and they were awesome cars.

I had and have more Cadillac diecasts that I ever had of Mercedes (I don't know of many, if any) and I still loved Mercedes while I called my dad's Seville the Crapillac.

Diecasts don't do **** if you have no cars on the road (where it matters) and if you don't have product parents are proud of owning.

I had Hot Wheels cars with flames on the hood and sides of them and one that was a Stegosaurus on wheels. Still like Triceratops better and I still think decals on a car are retarded, just like I thought then!

Uh I have one of a Seville STS that I bought when I owned mine. I loved that car, and I love the diecast.
Yep. You want one, buy one... as long as they're made.

I have a Silverado diecast. It's not like my truck, but close enough.

Yes. The community on GMI is entirely skewed towards enthusiasts and people who actually care about cars.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Children like model cars. Children are more likely to like something they can play with or see every day (model car) than something they'll merely sit in or see a glimpse of on the road.

Like I said, they can give the person buying a Cadillac one, and they'll most likely place it in their child's room. That will hopefully teach them to like Cadillac at a young age.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
Children like model cars.
Ding.

Children are more likely to like something they can play with or see every day (model car) than something they'll merely sit in or see a glimpse of on the road.

Like I said, they can give the person buying a Cadillac one, and they'll most likely place it in their child's room. That will hopefully teach them to like Cadillac at a young age.
It'll encourage them to like cars at a young age. Riding in Cadillacs and growing up around them will teach them to like Cadillacs.

Getting model cars does nothing to incentivize parents of children to own and love Cadillac, which is THE issue Cadillac has to focus on. Not producing model cars for kids to play with.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
So did I, when I was 5. Leave the diecast cars to Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and whoever else makes them.

Buying and owning a Cadillac shouldn't have any puerile aspects to the experience.

You're right, every Cadillac should come with a small diecast replica of it, as well as a rare stamp and some foreign currency to cover everyone's collections. Maybe a Lego set, too.

Door handles are a material and tactile part of the experience. It's one part of the car you KNOW someone is going to touch and that is going to see abuse; as such, it should be given whatever attention it needs.

The spoilers on the ATS-V and CTS-V look dumb, but if you can buy one without it... who cares?

Grilles, don't care.

Square arches are at the very least a distinguishing aesthetic feature if not a heritage cue (which I believe they are).

Do I think buying ANY car, never mind a $50,000-$100,000 car, and getting a free Matchbox is stupid and banal enough to be laughable? Yes, I do.

Some enthusiasts might care (like the mob on GMI), but to the rest of the hoi polloi, it would be stupid.

Or they can throw it out. Or GM can just have them made by a third party and someone can hunt for it if they really wanted one, thus adding to the thrill of owning a footlong diecast car.

I liked Cadillacs because I appreciated heritage and history and because I respected and continue to respect my dad's idealizations of the brand's past.

I had and have more Cadillac diecasts that I ever had of Mercedes (I don't know of many, if any) and I still loved Mercedes while I called my dad's Seville the Crapillac.

Diecasts don't do **** if you have no cars on the road (where it matters) and if you don't have product parents are proud of owning.

I had Hot Wheels cars with flames on the hood and sides of them and one that was a Stegosaurus on wheels. Still like Triceratops better and I still think decals on a car are retarded, just like I thought then!

Yes. The community on GMI is entirely skewed towards enthusiasts and people who actually care about cars.
PMS symptoms are strong with you these days, right?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

Grilles, don't care.

When I bought my CTS I was given a wooden box with a champagne bottle and Cadillac pen inside. Very nice. But as a purile car enthusiast, who others look to for car buying advice, I'd rather have had a diecast CTS model as a freebie. At least it's a display item and conversation piece, not a consumable that will be gone in a week. Cadillac could sure use to be part of car enthusiasts' conversations at this point, so it's not a bad idea. Still, in the whole scheme of things, for a brand's marketing, it's totally insignificant and hardly worth an extensive discourse by one of our most erudite albeit grumpy (today) Cadillac commentators.

Anyway, I'll definately get one and bring it to NY for the CT6 unveiling so that if you make it there (must be tough to leave NJ) I'll let you play with it for a few minutes, but only if you promise to make believable ATS engine and tire noises.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
I'm just a big kid I guess.

I still laugh at fart jokes, too.
I never laughed at fart jokes, I never got into the "toilet" part of low brow humor. More of a slapstick guy, myself.

When I bought my CTS I was given a wooden box with a champagne bottle and Cadillac pen inside. Very nice.
More Cadillac's speed.

But as a purile car enthusiast, who others look to for car buying advice, I'd rather have had a diecast CTS model as a freebie. At least it's a display item and conversation piece, not a consumable that will be gone in a week. Cadillac could sure use to be part of car enthusiasts' conversations at this point, so it's not a bad idea. Still, in the whole scheme of things, for a brand's marketing, it's totally insignificant and hardly worth an extensive discourse by one of our most erudite albeit grumpy (today) Cadillac commentators.
I appreciate the compliment, calling me erudite, and as I'm not one to disappoint... It's puerile, not purile. It comes from the Latin "puer", meaning "boy".

Not grumpy, I just think it's a little immature of Cadillac to be doling out miniature cars... so I don't know why everyone is getting their collective panties in an uproar.

Cadillac could use to be a part of more people's conversations, but if they're getting these diecast cars after purchase, won't that sort of defeat the purpose of using the cars as conversation pieces for more enthusiasts? :ponder::confused:

It would make you happy and people who like cars happy... and it would be gimmicky. It does nothing to confer additional status on the brand, nor would it drum up a whole new generation of customers (which is probably the most laughable justification for it).

Anyway, I'll definately get one and bring it to NY for the CT6 unveiling so that if you make it there (must be tough to leave NJ) I'll let you play with it for a few minutes, but only if you promise to make believable ATS engine and tire noises.
I actually am going to the show. Early Access tickets for me, my frand, my parents, my sister, BIL, and niece. :yup:

But I hate to break it to you, my larynx is too refined to make believable ATS noises. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.