GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out some insurance numbers and found out a Fiero would only cost about $500 (Can) more then my rust bucket '88 truck. I want something different and cool and thought of the Fiero. What moddles should I avoid or look for? What are some major problem areas with these cars? Thanks for any information you can give me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good to see someone thats interested in Fieros.I will try to steer you in the right direction:

The model/year is going to be determined by what you can afford And what is avallible. The model that is considered the best/most desireable is the 5spd '88GT, and the lowest would be the '84 "sport" coupe. Since you mentioned something about saving money on insurance, I assume that price is a significant factor. For inexpensive, reliable and fun transportation I would look for a '87-'88 4 cyl "SE" or "sport coupe." The "iron duke" and "tech-4" 4 bangers are more reliable and much easier to work on than the 2.8 V6. They also get around 30MPG vs. around 20mpg for the V6.

For 1987 GM refined the ignition, induction system and oiling system in the iron duke and renamed it the "tech-4." This motor makes about 10 more HP , and is smoother doing it. The only disadvantage is that the oil system is a little unconventional, but it works. GM also fixed the poor headlight motor design of the earlier cars. These improvements, along with a sleeker nose, gives the '87-88 an advantage. In 1988 GM re-designed the suspension, which greatly improved the handling and finally got rid of the "X-car" borrowed parts. Despite legend, this suspension was NOT designed by Lotus. Nevertheless, it features stiffer coils, longer A arms and better geometry in general.

If you must get an older fiero, a '85/'86 SE Would be a good choice. The 4cyl w/ the isuzu 5-speed is a good reliable combo. Mine has 178K and the drivetrain is in excellent shape. Avoid automatic models as the TH-125 makes the car a slug behind the 4cyl , and is not terribly reliable behind the V6. A sunroof is a nice addition (girls like em). And the factory 'speakers in the headrest' was a great idea. Below is a rough list of fiero models. IN decending order of desireability. This is just my opinion and it can be argued with on many points.

'88 GT 5 spd w/ T-tops
'88 Formula 5 spd (followed by the '85 GT if you like the V6 w/ notchback body)
'87 GT " "
'86 GT " "
'85 GT
'84 INDY "pace car" edition w/ 4:10 gears
'85-87' SE "2M6" V6
'88 SE 2M4
'87 SE 2M4
'85/'86 SE 2M4
'84 SE/2M4

·
Registered
1,500 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Hey Thunder, what part of Canada? Ontario insurance rate are so rediculis that the only true way to shopo is by going to kanex and compare different models with your own profile.

They say the large cost of car insurance is the hospital bills after an accident. This is why J-Car insurance is outragous. Maybe you need like a Pinto so that you have little chance of surviving the accident. (kidding) but Ontario insurance system has to be changed, anything they can do to raise your rate and the last thing you want to do is make a claim.

·
Registered
685 Posts
All I can say is it is good to see someone discovering or rediscovering the Fiero. Which ever one you choose, realize there are MANY things you can do to improve performance and change the style. If a GT Fastback (my fav.) isn't availible, any fiero still makes a fun and sometimes fast, economical ride. The sites listed above are a good start and will answer many questions. Buy a Chiltons or Haynes when you get it. It is as old as 20 years afterall and will need some work sometime.

www.l67swap.com
FOCOA
www.fieroaddiction.comFiero WebringTons of sites

Parts:
Fiero Store
Fiero Factory...Ed is cool
Fiero Shop

This is only the beginning there are a lot of Fiero fans out there and on this site.

Enjoy your American mid engine sports car!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in south-eastern Ontario, about 15 minutes away from Lake Erie, near long point, I hate this insurance scam that is going on. I'll check out those sites, thanks for all the information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts