GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Alfa's drop isnt to suprising, i think the factory that makes the 159/brera/spyder was closed most of the year to make changes to the 08 models, so i dont think they had any 08s of those models to sell.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Interesting to note that in February, the VW make alone (not group) outsold every other complete group of manufacturers (GM, Toyota, Ford, Fiat, etc.) except for PSA. Also, it seems that Nissan is doing quite well these days, especially compared to other Japanese brands (apart from Toyota). It can't hurt being tied in with Renault.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These numbers are for WESTERN EUROPE.Most of the sales for Chevrolet Europe comes from former soviet union countries.
I actually meant to post the chart for the whole EU, including the former eastern bloc countries, but it doesn't really make a difference since the new car market is so small there. For comparison...Italy alone bought 216k new cars in Feb, the 10 Eastern European countries combined don't even buy half that.

Anyway, INCLUDING Eastern Europe the number for Chevrolet is 14,813 units (1.3% market share).

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting to note that in February, the VW make alone (not group) outsold every other complete group of manufacturers (GM, Toyota, Ford, Fiat, etc.) except for PSA. Also, it seems that Nissan is doing quite well these days, especially compared to other Japanese brands (apart from Toyota). It can't hurt being tied in with Renault.
Along those lines, the VW group alone outsells all Japanese and Korean makes combined.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
What's all this fuss about Chevrolet brand being a success in Europe? Chevy's only selling in Lancia numbers...

Disappointing.
You know how press releases work, right? They'll do anything to show facts in the most positive light possible.

Chevy used to be all but non-existent in Europe (a few 'vettes and Tahoes sold each year and that's it). When GM decided to start gluing bowties on the same old Daewoos sold in Europe, the Chevy brand instantly jumped a totally insane percentage in sales -- regardless of how few of these cars are sold every year. That's where the fuss comes from.

It's as if Renault suddenly decided to badge some U.S.-market Nissans as Renaults. The Renault brand would instantly be up a over a trillion percent in the States, a fact that they could (and probably would) trumpet in press releases.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
These numbers are for WESTERN EUROPE.Most of the sales for Chevrolet Europe comes from former soviet union countries.
True. I know Chevy is going like gangbusters in Russia, but never having looked at actual sales figs, I thought they were doing a little better in Europe. And of course 1% of the market isn't bad for a new brand (as lio45 pointed out) in a very saturated market. I think once the next-generation of better-designed products arrive, with more Diesel options, Chevy could see an increase in market share.

I'd like to see numbers on how Chevy is doing in Russia...

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True. I know Chevy is going like gangbusters in Russia, but never having looked at actual sales figs, I thought they were doing a little better in Europe. And of course 1% of the market isn't bad for a new brand (as lio45 pointed out) in a very saturated market. I think once the next-generation of better-designed products arrive, with more Diesel options, Chevy could see an increase in market share.

Couldn't find any for 07, but in 06 Chevrolet sold ~9000 cars/month in Russia, 5.x% market share.

However, while the Russian market is growing quickly, it's easy to overestimate its importance. It's still a relatively poor country and $7000 cars don't make much money, if any. It'll probably be decades before any real money is to be made there.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Couldn't find any for 07, but in 06 Chevrolet sold ~9000 cars/month in Russia, 5.x% market share.

However, while the Russian market is growing quickly, it's easy to overestimate its importance. It's still a relatively poor country and $7000 cars don't make much money, if any. It'll probably be decades before any real money is to be made there.
Chevrolet Europe in 2007 sold 457,224 vehicles up 33.6% with 2.0 precent marketshare,189,492 of which was sold in Russia,Chevrolet sales in Russia was 189,492 up 53 precent over 2006.Chevrolet also has 7.0% marketshare in Russia.

Chevrolet sold 169,011 vehicles in Western Europe in 2007. So when it comes to Chevrolet in Europe:Russia>>>>>>>>>>>West Europe http://www.gm.com/europe/corporate/sales/european/chevrolet/

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Checkin' out Chevy's Russian site...

What happened to the Niva and Viva? Were they dropped?

Oh wait, the Niva and Viva are on the GM-Avtovaz website. Are these two sold through the Daewoo-based Chevy dealers? Or another set of dealers? Anybody know enough about GM Russia to explain this?

Funny how the model names are in Roman characters!

·
Registered
781 Posts
The absolute drop is totally meaningless, it's the relative drop that matters. (Which is what HoosierRon was talking about.)

Of course it's meanigful - If you look at the manufacturer's MARKET SHARE and not their own sales increase/decrease year-on you will see GM's share of the market decreased by 0.9% whereas Toyota's dropped 0.6%.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Chevrolet is currently the top "foreign" brand on the Russian market, and 2nd best overall, topped only by Lada. In 2007, Chevrolet sales totalled 190553 units which is 70% more than in 2006.

According to http://www.autoreview.ru/archive/2008/03/stat/, the distribution of various Chevrolet models and "sub-brands" in the total sales volume is as follows:

1. Niva from GM-AvtoVAZ - 47748 units, a 16% increase;
2. Lanos from UkrAvto - 57902; 3rd place after the Ford Focus (90446) and the Renault Logan (67844) )
3. Lacetti from GM Daewoo - 40627; 7th place
4. Aveo from GM Daewoo - 26265; outsells the Corsa (17025)
5. Spark from GM Daewoo - 5283
6. Rezzo from GM Daewoo - 4999
7. Captiva from GM Daewoo - 4224
8. Epica from GM Daewoo - 1562
9. Trailblazer from GM NA - 1061
10. Viva from GM-AvtoVAZ - 801
11. Tahoe from GM NA - 64

Oh wait, the Niva and Viva are on the GM-Avtovaz website. Are these two sold through the Daewoo-based Chevy dealers? Or another set of dealers? Anybody know enough about GM Russia to explain this?

GM-AvtoVAZ, GM Europe and UkrAvto appear to have three different and independent dealer networks. More than that, most bigger dealerships just sell cheap cars in volumes and are not bound to a specific brand; they offer everything from Lada to GM-AvtoVAZ Chevrolet to GM-Daewoo's Chevrolet to Daewoo (from Uzbekistan) to Hyundai/KIA to Chery etc. See http://www.incom-auto.ru/ In practice, I have never seen the Niva and the Lanos alongside GM Daewoo models.

BTW, the Viva, which is the previous generation Opel Astra, will probably be dropped from the range in 2008, and the most expensive version of the Niva with Opel's 1.8 L Family 1 engine and Aisin manual transmission will probably come along the Viva. Considering that Renault agreed to buy a majority share in AvtoVAZ (talks with GM, Fiat and Magna) and the sales of Lada cars will now count towards the Renault sales, GM-AvtoVAZ will probably die out after AvtoVAZ launches an updated Niva somewhere in 2011 under its own Lada brand.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
YTD, Toyota is tanking faster than GM.
Yes, I saw that; second. They don't seem to be a juggernaut except for the U.S. and Japan. I also noticed that Honda doesn't do much in Europe either, I guess the Europeans like exciting vehicles.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Of course it's meanigful - If you look at the manufacturer's MARKET SHARE and not their own sales increase/decrease year-on you will see GM's share of the market decreased by 0.9% whereas Toyota's dropped 0.6%.
No, it's not meaningful. As I was saying, you need to look at the relative drops in marketshare -- that's what's going to tell you who's doing well and who isn't.

Let's look at the following hypothetical situation for a very clear example that shows why:

In a given year and a given market, GM has 80.0% marketshare and Toyota has 0.61%.

The following year, GM loses 0.9% and Toyota loses 0.6% (the actual figures for Europe this year, figures from which you're apparently concluding Toyota is better off than GM).

Result: GM now has only 79.1% and Toyota now has 0.01%.

Who is weathering the storm well, and who is all but extinct?

Who is better off, the company whose marketshare has decreased by 0.9%, or the company whose share has "only" slipped 0.6% ?

See why I'm saying the absolute numbers aren't useful?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.