GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For nearly ten years now, I was always under the impression that my 95 GMC Sonoma had six speakers (two in the king cab, two in the door panels and two on top of the dash). To my surprise I discovered that the two top dash speaker holes were just that, speaker hole covered over with speaker grills. Found this by accident when I was trying to find out where some rattling sound was coming from. Thought maybe the speakers had came loose and was causing the noise. I was even more bummed out when there were no wires available to even hook up extra speakers.
Therefore, my question is why would GM go through the expense of fake speakers and not tell me or anybody else about it. I looked at my original window sticker and there was no mention of how many speakers the truck came with.

:(

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had a 02 S10 and thought the same thing. I just figured they added the door speakers and instead of redesigning the dash just kept it the way it was. But its more likely they have those foux speakers there because they use the same dash in the blazer which I believe has 6 speakers, and that common dash would keep costs down.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Well, at least it gives you a place to put aftermarket speakers. You're better off with aftermarket quality speaker wires anyway.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't think it is about the expense of putting holes /with no speakers it's about making 1 dash for reg-cabs and ext-cabs suv's, thus costing less than making 2 separate dashes.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by LakeMichigan@May 6 2004, 09:33 AM
the only "dummy" speaker applications on the S/T trucks were in the 1994 (& up) series extended cabs only, only if there were rear 1/4 speakers on 2 door extended cabs...per my contact at GM Par-Tech...my 2000 Sonoma extended cab DOES have dash speakers, and no rear speakers, because it is equipped with a 3rd door...that should answer the mystery!!
Thats true. Now that I think of it my moms 95 S10 has an extended cab with those little speakers in the back plastic of the cab. My S10 had the 3rd door, so no speakers in the back. For having the speakers in the dash and the front doors they did a good job of making the sound feel like its coming from all around you not just from the front.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts