GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford will be resurrecting Lightning for the F-150 EV…apparently.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It makes total sense, so why not?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Ford will be resurrecting Lightning for the F-150 EV…apparently.
Do you mean all F-150 EVs would be called "Lightning", or there would be an EV variant called Lightning?

A high-performance F-150 EV seemed a given and Lightning (a fortuitous name in their portfolio) seemed written in the stars but won't there at some point be lower-level, work-focused versions of the EV truck? It sort of sullies the name. Personally, I think "Lightning" should be reserved for a Raptor-level, high-performance version of the EV.

Too bad they used "E" series for the Econoline all those years because E-150 (E-250 etc.) sounds like it should have been written in the stars too. It seems they could have transitioned all vans to "Transit" names to free up the "E" series name for such an important vehicle.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I honestly can't believe I didn't put this together sooner. But Lightning is a venerable performance name that seems ripe for this application. Although the low-slung 2-door truck thing isn't happening in this case.

And as far as I understand it, F-150 Lightning applies to all F-150 EVs. Needless to say, they'll be quick no matter what trim you get them in.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Reactions: CJH and 1958carnut

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
A high-performance F-150 EV seemed a given and Lightning (a fortuitous name in their portfolio) seemed written in the stars but won't there at some point be lower-level, work-focused versions of the EV truck? It sort of sullies the name. Personally, I think "Lightning" should be reserved for a Raptor-level, high-performance version of the EV.
Not sure how it sullies the name. Just read an article that said it will be the quickest F150 ever. And Lightning is about the best branding ti could get, considering the speed/power and drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Not sure how it sullies the name. Just read an article that said it will be the quickest F150 ever. And Lightning is about the best branding ti could get, considering the speed/power and drivetrain.
I think the concern is that if there's some lower level pedestrian EV F-150 that isn't performance oriented, that calling all EV F-150s "Lightning" would sully that name, but he's happy with a performance EV F-150 being called Lightning, so I think you're on the same page if Lightning is a performance oriented model that is the quickest F-150 ever.

Reactions: Syclone478 and CJH

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I think the concern is that if there's some lower level pedestrian EV F-150 that isn't performance oriented, that calling all EV F-150s "Lightning" would sully that name, but he's happy with a performance EV F-150 being called Lightning, so I think you're on the same page if Lightning is a performance oriented model that is the quickest F-150 ever.
By the time low level F150s get electrified, they'll probably just be called F150s, I think the first few MYs of EV F150s will be high level, high priced variants worthy of a "Lightning" badge...just my .02

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I said it could sully the name if a "lower-level, work-focused" version of the EV truck is later released under the model name Lightning, such as Lightning XL. That is why I asked ahead if the name was for all F-150 EVs or just a high-performance version (for which the name Lightning, I mentioned, seems written in the stars). I presume they've worked out a naming strategy but from my limited perspective thus far it seems short-sighted.

Yes, that is what I said. I believe "Lightning" could have been leveraged for a super-truck version while a broader name should be used for the entire line, such as my "E" series example which leaves room for a full line (e.g., E-150 XL through E-150 Lightning). I'm sure the first new Lightning will be worthy of the name but calling the model "Lightning" (as opposed to just a top-end version) seems to be painting themselves into a corner, if they are heading to an EV future and plan to expand the line.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Do you have the same concern for the Hummer EV?
For what my thoughts are worth, I think transitioning the Hummer name to an EV was innocuous but calling the model simply the "GMC Hummer EV " is peak short-sightedness and similar to the problem I see in naming the F-150 EV the "Ford Lightning". Are there no plans to expand the lines?

·
Registered
184 Posts
For what my thoughts are worth, I think transitioning the Hummer name to an EV was innocuous but calling the model simply the "GMC Hummer EV " is peak short-sightedness and similar to the problem I see in naming the F-150 EV the "Ford Lightning". Are there no plans to expand the lines?
I think "F150 Lightning" is Ford's branding for a range of EV F150s, I wouldn't be surprised if it came in multiple trim levels and power levels with standard and extended range versions.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I see what you mean about Hummer being the model instead of the brand, kind of paints themselves into a box.

But Ford is simply calling the electric F150 "lighting" couldn't Ford add a "lighting" trim to every model?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I think "F150 Lightning" is Ford's branding for a range of EV F150s, I wouldn't be surprised if it came in multiple trim levels and power levels with standard and extended range versions.
That's what I'm thinking too but my opinion is it could "sully" the name. Even though I've never owned a Ford*, perhaps I revere the name Lightning and its heritage more than the average person and want it to remain super special. I fully expected a Lightning revival as an EV but expected it to be the top-dog version of a differently-named EV range.

* So as not to be mistaken for someone xenophobic to non-GM brands, I drive a Hyundai preceded by a Chevy, Acura, Chevy, Toyota, Nissan, GMC (still have), Dodge, Toyota, Pontiac, Chevy, Chevy. I came reeeeeeeally close to a second-gen Probe GT when they came out (which would have been after the Pontiac) but the dealer was the problem, not the car.

I see what you mean about Hummer being the model instead of the brand, kind of paints themselves into a box.

But Ford is simply calling the electric F150 "lighting" couldn't Ford add a "lighting" trim to every model?
Yeah they could have called it the GMC Hummer E1 or something along that line (although I'm already tiring of all the "E" themed names which will look silly in a few short years). GMC either does not plan any other Hummer models or they didn't think it through well. I'm not even sure if "Pickup" and "SUV" are just descriptive or official parts of the names. Plus I assume the "EV" part of the name will eventually be dropped as it will be stating the obvious after a while. Even though it is under GMC I think they should have treated it more like a model of a sub-brand, rather than a singular sub-branded model.

Also, I had not considered what you suggest for the Lightning name (I did mention they likely have thought of something) but it sort of has the same problem. Meaning, what do you name any top-end, performance oriented version? The Ford F-150 Lightning Lightning?

I'm sure the initial truck won't disappoint but it still seems to me an opportunity missed to have an exotic truck—with an epic name—cap off lesser tucks from a shared line. With that said...

Ford seems to be honing their branding skills. They seem to be crystalizing their most critical and storied models into sort of sub-brands of their own. For example what they have done with Mustang (and the Mach-E) and Bronco (and the Sport, and even separate Bronco showrooms). Could it be a similar plan for "Lightning"?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts