GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I amusually not a fan of purchasing an extended warranty on a vehicle and have never done so in the past. And "almost" never regreted it. The exception was my wifes 03 Mazda MPV. It came with a 4yr/50K warranty. At the 4 year point it was at 39K miles and never any issues with it. Now 5 weeks after, the EGR went bad. Mazda paid for the part and I paid for the labor, it was about a 50/50 split. I would have just done it myself, but then I would have to buy the part, and like I said, it was about a 50/50 split for them to do it, so I would not have saved anything doing it myself. Then two months later, the IAC went bad (stalled a few times, ran a can of seafom through the intake since).

When I bout my HHR in October 06, I did not get the extended warranty. But I still get offers from GMAC to add one. They have one price if I have under 24K and one if I'm over. I am just under 21K on it and got another notice in the mail yesterday. For the "gold" plan I think it stated about $1600. I'm considering cause we use the HHR more than the MPV since it gets better mileage. The plan shows "x" number of months/miles and I'm guessing that is on top of the factory warranty? Is it really worth it? I plan on keeping the HHR, it's been great to own and I like it. I wish I would have brought it in today to list the specifics, but seems to be a bumper to bumper warranty.

Inputs?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I acutally remember to bring in the packet they sent me, for mine with the current mileage the cost for a 36/54000 plan is $1380. One question, does that mileage get added on top of the factory 36/36000? I can't seem to find that answer.

5,934 Posts
I got one when I purchased my used Vette, in large becuase I heard people say, "When Corvettes break, they are expensive". I'm glad I did. It cost me $1700 for the 3 year/36k warranty and it paid for itself in the first few months. I had the car a few months last year and I got a trio of messages on my DIC saying Trac Control Fault and others. It turns out the ABS module was bad + a few other things. It was $4500 before labor.

I just bought a used 2001 Silverado but didn't get the warranty, except for the dealer 2 month/2k mile drivetrain warranty. Warranty was $2000 and I don't expect $2000 in repairs anytime soon <knock on wood>.

It depends upon the vehicle being purchased, and the cost of the warranty.
For your HHR, you've got to figure what you figure may break and how much it would cost to repair. I'd prolly get it. Just a confidence thing, then you don't need to worry.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I bought a 7yr/75k warranty from the dealership on my wife's 08 Dodge Caliber. It only cost 700 bucks and I have peace of mind. I wish I did with my truck because I just shelled out 2k for a warranty for it. I had my tranny mess up at 28k and do not want to have to pay for another one. It's just paying for peace of mind. I'd much rather pay 2k when I expect it vs paying for it if we're on vacation or during some other family crisis. I say go for it!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally called GMPP and asked how this worked. The said the extended warranty (36/54K) starts the day I sign up and runs with the current warranty. So at my point, I would only get an additional 16 months/18K miles after my factory warranty expires. SO for now I will wait. They told me I could sign up anytime before the factory warranty expires, they have a price listing for under/over 24K miles. I'm under right now, but I think the additional $400 would be better spent if I waited to be closer to the end of the factory warranty.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Instead of getting the high price "deal" from a dealer on a GMPP
check out http://www.gmoutlet.com
Best prices on the net for GMPP!

IMO....Its better to buy it near the end of your mfr. warranty
period if your gonna keep the car.
Sure your gonna pay more BUT the time and mileage is
added onto your almost ended mfr. warranty period.

For me...... I never buy one for my Cadillacs but my trucks YES
because I snowplow and heavy tow. I can always count on
something $pendy like a transmission or transfer case to break
after the warranty expires

1 - 6 of 6 Posts