GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One can add Prestone super radiator ANTI-RUST or similar products to enhance and restore vital rust inhibitors ! Why waste antifreeze at $15/gal or at any price ? let's hear it for or agains'
t please folks ! ......:feedback:

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
One reason to actually change/flush out your coolant is to get the actual rust particles out of the system. You don't want a buildup of that stuff.

Antifreeze isn't THAT expensive anyway. Consider my Subaru manual says to change every 30k AND add a bottle of Subaru coolant conditioner. For me that's once a year...I shouldn't ever have to replace gaskets, water pump, heater core, and the radiator and heater core are going to stay clear.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It was a little low so I added 8oz of Prestone rejuvenator and some antifreeze to resouvoir. It's my '93 Deville. Just noticed a few oil light flickers after oil change and highway runs, oil ok......tyia

today after 10 minutes on freeway and slowing at lights, oil light came on and off a few times plus green engine light also.......think maybe it needs oil pump ? tyia

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
One reason to actually change/flush out your coolant is to get the actual rust particles out of the system. You don't want a buildup of that stuff.

Antifreeze isn't THAT expensive anyway. Consider my Subaru manual says to change every 30k AND add a bottle of Subaru coolant conditioner. For me that's once a year...I shouldn't ever have to replace gaskets, water pump, heater core, and the radiator and heater core are going to stay clear.
I concur. The buildup in a cooling system can be nasty after 6-7 years. On a properly maintained car that has not had any cooling system problems, I have seen them go a long time without any service at all. But if we do any work, like pumps, intake gaskets, etc. we always recommend a flush of the system. Once air gets in older system it can encourage oxidation (rust) and it can go downhill pretty fast. No additive is going to fix that kind of problem.

Generally speaking on the newer cars, say 99+, you can go 5 years between services. Older then that with the green coolant, and some cars even with dexcool, and you want to do them 1-2 yrs apart tops.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I concur. The buildup in a cooling system can be nasty after 6-7 years. On a properly maintained car that has not had any cooling system problems, I have seen them go a long time without any service at all. But if we do any work, like pumps, intake gaskets, etc. we always recommend a flush of the system. Once air gets in older system it can encourage oxidation (rust) and it can go downhill pretty fast. No additive is going to fix that kind of problem.

Generally speaking on the newer cars, say 99+, you can go 5 years between services. Older then that with the green coolant, and some cars even with dexcool, and you want to do them 1-2 yrs apart tops.
Sounds good to me boss. ...now my previous other problem please ? last post edited by me

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/1559466-post6.html

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Sounds good to me boss. ...now my previous other problem please ? last post edited by me

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/1559466-post6.html
Well, if I am reading that right, it sounds like the low oil pressure light is coming on at times (little red oil can looking light). If so it does have a oil pressure sender which is far more likely then a pump.

The first thing to do is to have an actual oil pressure gauge on it and watch the readings when the light comes on, although I dont know if that is the type that would use the same hole for the gauge as the electric sender does, in that case one you take that out to screw in the gauge the light would stay on.

Either way, there is a spec for the oil pressure and if it doesnt go low, then it is the sender or sender circuit. One common problem is them leaking oil. The oil then gets all over the connector and causes false readings. So if you replace it be sure to clean the plug well. Other possiblites are wiring issues to the PCM, the PCM itself or sometimes even the instrument cluster itself can go tits up and make lights come on. The part should be failry cheap so it may just be worth it to swap it out, and if it still happens then go through all the motions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts