GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, jurors are finally starting to figure out that laws of physics trump laws of greedy lawyers... <_<

Explorer verdicts go Ford's way
Automaker wins 10 straight rollover suits
By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

DEARBORN — The Ford Explorer has been the target of hundreds of product liability lawsuits, but Ford Motor Co. successfully has defended the popular sport utility vehicle in 10 consecutive jury trials.

In fact, while Ford has settled dozens of lawsuits charging the Explorer is unstable and prone to rollovers, the company claims it never has lost a jury verdict on a design issue.

In the past month alone, Ford has prevailed in three Explorer rollover cases seeking millions of dollars in damages.

While the victories help Ford avoid potentially huge verdicts, they also strengthen the company’s bargaining position in dozens of outstanding Explorer rollover lawsuits.

“Those jurors who have seen and heard the evidence in these cases confirm what real-world experience and testing prove: The Explorer is a safe vehicle, consistently performing as well as or better than other vehicles in its class,” said John Mellen, the automaker’s associate general counsel for litigation.

“We believe strongly in our products and we will continue to aggressively defend them.”

more...

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Its true, I always thought it was 75% Firestone's fault, and 25% Fords fault. Firestone's because the tires were simply crap, and Ford's because the Explorer couldn't handle the blowouts properly. I have had blowouts on all my vehicles (cept for the GTP) and they all handled them with ease even the Safari, which is definitely more prone to flipping over than the Explorer.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Jan 26 2004, 10:01 AM
Its true, I always thought it was 75% Firestone's fault, and 25% Fords fault. Firestone's because the tires were simply crap, and Ford's because the Explorer couldn't handle the blowouts properly. I have had blowouts on all my vehicles (cept for the GTP) and they all handled them with ease even the Safari, which is definitely more prone to flipping over than the Explorer.
I remember the summer that Ford did all the recalls Car & Driver did a blowout simulation (instant deflation of right rear tire). They did a number of speeds and said each time the Explorer tracked straight and you didn't need to touch the steering wheel, just let off the gas. Now this is only one example and in no way proof the explorer will always track straight but it certainly lays claim that a lot of the people involved probably over-reacted and oversteered their vehicle when the blowout occured.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The reason this "Explorer Rollover Crises" is fresh again is because U-Hall is Not allowing of any year or typeof Explorer vehicles to rent tow behind trailers, do to several law suits. (wich all went in the Explorers Favor so far)

- U-Hall is Americas #1 source of trailer rentals today.

- Explorer has one of the higest and well regarded saftey ratings since it's redesign.

"As a measure of how far this insanity goes, consider that U-Haul will rent you a trailer to tow behind a Mercury Mountaineer or Mazda Navajo, despite the fact that these vehciles are mechanically identical to many Ford Explorers."

This being the facts at hand, it is now believed that With U-Haul illogically discriminating against Explorers.

With the research already done and all, I would have to agree that Explorer owners are unfairly penalized. !!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by frenstall+Jan 26 2004, 10:40 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frenstall @ Jan 26 2004, 10:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TaHoE@Jan 26 2004, 10:01 AM
Its true, I always thought it was 75% Firestone's fault, and 25% Fords fault.  Firestone's because the tires were simply crap, and Ford's because the Explorer couldn't handle the blowouts properly.  I have had blowouts on all my vehicles (cept for the GTP) and they all handled them with ease even the Safari, which is definitely more prone to flipping over than the Explorer.
I remember the summer that Ford did all the recalls Car & Driver did a blowout simulation (instant deflation of right rear tire). They did a number of speeds and said each time the Explorer tracked straight and you didn't need to touch the steering wheel, just let off the gas. Now this is only one example and in no way proof the explorer will always track straight but it certainly lays claim that a lot of the people involved probably over-reacted and oversteered their vehicle when the blowout occured. [/b][/quote]
I remember watching that and being very happy that they just proved 99% of those morons wrong. One day everyone will stop trying to take the whole country to court.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Jan 28 2004, 12:25 AM
This is horrible: trial lawyers lost the Ford lottery! What is America coming to?
Don't be led down the garden path by those who substitute sensational anecdotes for sound science.

anecdote: NOUN: 1. A short account of an interesting or humorous incident.

The bottom line: NOT GUILTY.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Originally posted by xellow+Jan 28 2004, 03:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (xellow @ Jan 28 2004, 03:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tgagneguam@Jan 28 2004, 12:25 AM
This is horrible: trial lawyers lost the Ford lottery!  What is America coming to?
Don't be led down the garden path by those who substitute sensational anecdotes for sound science.

anecdote: NOUN: 1. A short account of an interesting or humorous incident.

The bottom line: NOT GUILTY. [/b][/quote]
I think we're saying the same thing; I was using sarcasm to illustrate my believe in Ford's innocence.

sarcasm, n. a sharply ironical taunt or gibe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts