GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I did a Lincoln Date Night with the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid a bit ago. I was very impressed with the dealership experience, and was invited to have my Explorer Sport serviced there after I had relayed our less than stellar experiences with service locally in Payson.

Fast forward to yesterday. The Explorer needed its 30K mile service. I was heading to the Valley today anyway, and asked if they could get it in. To my surprise I was given a 8:30am apt (meant I was up at 6 to head down there). I was also informed that I could get my warranty work done there, which really surprised me, and made me very happy as there were a few little things than needed to be addressed (the horn cover had an almost invisible crack in it, and a weather seal had a tear on one side and was working toward the same issue on the other side, plus the latest iteration of MFT needed to be installed).

Off to Phx I went. We had a bad storm that had come through, so it was the "dodge rock" game on the way down, from rock falls off of the mountains due to rain. There were quite a few vehicles on the side of the road that were disabled from hitting some of the rocks. I get there 10 minutes late (weather), and go through the items again with David. He gets my license and insurance card and when he is done Joe comes to me with my Lincoln loaner. It is a MKS with 6000 miles.

A small point on the MKS. Boy, you sure can tell that it is "old" Lincoln. It is in a different world from the MKZ Hybrid that I had. It truly does feel like the spiritual successor to the Town Car. While not a horrible car by any means, there was nothing compelling about it at all. It was soft and comfortable, and perfectly capable......... but boring enough to put you to sleep. Its replacement cannot come soon enough. It does nothing for the Lincoln brand, and I felt older just driving it. Short of a few material differences, my Explorer Sport has a nicer interior.

That said, I spent some time with my Dad and then headed back to the dealership. David called while I was in route to tell me my Explorer was done and washed and ready. I dropped off the yawn mobile and David went over everything with me. The parts are ordered to fix my few issues and we will be informed when they arrive.

I realize that this experience sounds perfectly boring and how service should be. That is the point. It was an excellent service experience. Based on my previous experiences getting my Explorer serviced and fixed from a recall (don't even want to go there), this was an excellent experience. The Explorer was clean and waiting for me. Everyone was friendly and nice. At no point did anyone try to sell me anything. I was not referred to as a customer, but as a guest. I had some coffee, got a bottled water, and could have had a munchies or two. I felt like I actually mattered.

Is this enough to get someone to buy a Lincoln. Not in and of itself. However, it is all part of the picture. A great dealership experience and a great service experience make you want to do business with them. All in all a very good impression.

I stopped by to talk to Patrick, the gentleman who heads up the Date Night program at the dealership. He is a great guy, and we got along great. I asked him how the MKC was doing for them. He said fantastic, and he wishes they could get more. The 2.3 AWD versions are on the ground for 4 days, and the others are sitting for 9 days. They just received 7 in today, and 5 of those are sold. He was honestly very excited about it (he can't fake it, as he is a true car guy, and his whole face lights up). He also said they got to see the GT350 at a Ford / Lincoln get together in Vegas. He couldn't say anything, but you could just feel the excitement radiating off of him.

So there you go. How Lincoln goes about getting back in the game. The "guest" experience is very good, in my experience. There are a couple of very compelling offerings at this time. The low hanging fruit need to go, and I know they are. I just need to be patient.

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
Right, Extreme. That's how a service visit ought to work.

richmond I will be glad to drop off a few commas periods and paragraph breaks just tell me how to IM you and those parts will be delivered which will make your posts much easier to read if anyone besides me even gets to the end of them thanks so much for using them they will be a great improvement

·
Registered
19,337 Posts
My experience with my Cadillac dealer has been very positive. Very courteous and helpful, they treat you like you are someone special. Last time I was in for an oil change (on a Saturday) they even offered me a loner even though they were taking my car right away. I'm very impressed with how they treat me; so let's not turn this into a Lincoln is superior to everything Cadillac does thread. I suspect my dealer is treating me as Cadillac desires, but how do they force all dealers to treat people right?

When I had my 2002 Grand Prix GTP I had bought it from a Pontiac/Buick dealership. Every time I needed an oil change I'd have an appointment for first thing in the morning, I'd make sure I got there early so I'd be the first taken, and I'd always be the very last on let out (of the people who were waiting), they'd always put the Buicks ahead of me. Really upset me as at the time there wasn't much of a difference between Buick's and Pontiac's other than appearance (price was similar). So to take me last even though I was first and make me wait for two hours for an oil change. So same issue as you richmond2000!

And richmond2000, I'm not trying to be a jerk (nor do I think Neanderthal is trying to be either) I'm offering constructive feedback to you and others. Your purpose in writing a post is for people to read your post. If you use improper punctuation it becomes difficult to read, and correspondingly a chore to read. There are certain people who I wont read their posts if they are lengthy as it is flat out to much work to read, akin to reading Shakespeare. Punctuation would've only taken you another 15 seconds, so it is a well spent 15 seconds to make people more likely to read your post that you probably spent several minutes typing.... And I'm far from using punctuation correctly, but it is much easier to read when you at least try.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Service experience is really important when buying a car, I'm glad that Lincoln is doing it right. Now bring us the great products the brand desperately needs.

·
Registered
18,466 Posts
There is a local Ford store and a locall Ford/Lincoln store. We avoid the Ford store like the plaque. Its run so badly that its laughable its still in business.

I will agree that the new Lincoln "training" is slowly elevating it to a much better brand status.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Ok I am sorry for the bad english post above
I used to own a Pontiac G8 and had warranty covered "issues" that where dealt with at the local Pontiac,Buick,GMC,Caddy dealer.

The dealer used Hertz Rents for there "loaner" car program and Hertz had on offer CTS and DTS Caddies and I had both of them
The DTS was OK for a "old mans" Caddy BUT the CTS was so low on the equipment that my G8 was a luxury car in comparison, to the point that I have little interest in a MK2 CTS anymore

last summer I went in to the same dealer to look at a NEW ATS 2.0T with a stick and the sales person was more interested in doing a deal on a Sierra then showing me the ATS

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My experience with my Cadillac dealer has been very positive. Very courteous and helpful, they treat you like you are someone special. Last time I was in for an oil change (on a Saturday) they even offered me a loner even though they were taking my car right away. I'm very impressed with how they treat me; so let's not turn this into a Lincoln is superior to everything Cadillac does thread. I suspect my dealer is treating me as Cadillac desires, but how do they force all dealers to treat people right?

When I had my 2002 Grand Prix GTP I had bought it from a Pontiac/Buick dealership. Every time I needed an oil change I'd have an appointment for first thing in the morning, I'd make sure I got there early so I'd be the first taken, and I'd always be the very last on let out (of the people who were waiting), they'd always put the Buicks ahead of me. Really upset me as at the time there wasn't much of a difference between Buick's and Pontiac's other than appearance (price was similar). So to take me last even though I was first and make me wait for two hours for an oil change. So same issue as you richmond2000!

And richmond2000, I'm not trying to be a jerk (nor do I think Neanderthal is trying to be either) I'm offering constructive feedback to you and others. Your purpose in writing a post is for people to read your post. If you use improper punctuation it becomes difficult to read, and correspondingly a chore to read. There are certain people who I wont read their posts if they are lengthy as it is flat out to much work to read, akin to reading Shakespeare. Punctuation would've only taken you another 15 seconds, so it is a well spent 15 seconds to make people more likely to read your post that you probably spent several minutes typing.... And I'm far from using punctuation correctly, but it is much easier to read when you at least try.
Maybe I missed it, but I do not really see where anyone has mentioned Cadillac in any way???

What impressed me the most was me bringing a Ford to be serviced at a Lincoln dealership and I was treated no different than if I had a Lincoln. I did not have to argue or complain for a loaner, either.

I really like the "guest" thing. It is those very small things that really make a difference. Never being referred to as a customer, but as a guest.

LetsRace, I think the MKZ and MKC are great products, and it shows in their sales. The MKX is a very good product, that will be that much better when the new one comes out. The others are just placeholders before the new generations come out.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I do not really see where anyone has mentioned Cadillac in any way???

What impressed me the most was me bringing a Ford to be serviced at a Lincoln dealership and I was treated no different than if I had a Lincoln. I did not have to argue or complain for a loaner, either.

I really like the "guest" thing. It is those very small things that really make a difference. Never being referred to as a customer, but as a guest.

LetsRace, I think the MKZ and MKC are great products, and it shows in their sales. The MKX is a very good product, that will be that much better when the new one comes out. The others are just placeholders before the new generations come out.
They are good products(specially the MKC), but they are not the best that FoMoCo can do. I see more innovation in the F-150 than in every vehicle in the Lincoln lineup combined. That's not a good thing in my book. I have high expectation for the next MKX and MKS and I hope that Lincoln doesn't let me down. Ford has the Money, the technology, and the know how to make great luxury cars( hello! the owned PAG). They need them I can't wait to see them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They are good products(specially the MKC), but they are not the best that FoMoCo can do. I see more innovation in the F-150 than in every vehicle in the Lincoln lineup combined. That's not a good thing in my book. I have high expectation for the next MKX and MKS and I hope that Lincoln doesn't let me down. Ford has the Money, the technology, and the know how to make great luxury cars( hello! the owned PAG). They need them I can't wait to see them.
I agree with you LetsRace....Ford is not using all they have for Lincoln!
I have high expectations for the MKS and MKX

1 - 11 of 11 Posts