GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 Chevrolet Camaro Brings American Muscle to the Nürburgring

Click Link For Video: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/d...=125513?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2.*#3

By Ed Hellwig, Lead Senior Editor Email | Blog
Date posted: 04-13-2008

It was only a matter of time before the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro hit the Nürburgring test track. GM has been using the German road course to fine-tune nearly all of its performance cars as of late, so the appearance of the Camaro alongside the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 didn't surprise our spy shooters.

Unlike some of the earlier Camaro prototypes we've seen, this particular test mule has a set of Brembo brakes and a more aggressive wheel-and-tire package. The obvious conclusion? This is a Camaro Super Sport model. But not so fast, because when you consider that previous Camaro test mules have featured very tame-look brakes, this upgrade could indicate nothing more than the Chevrolet Camaro Z28.

Then consider the sound of this Camaro test mule. It's all motor, yet it doesn't have the same sonic signature as GM's supercharged LSA V8 that speculation indicates will be the centerpiece of the top-of-the-line Camaro SS. With 525 horsepower, the supercharged engine would give the SS a big advantage over both the Dodge Challenger SRT8 and the Ford Shelby GT500. But this prototype sounds like it probably has a normally aspirated V8, most likely a detuned LS3 V8 with somewhere around 400 hp.

Judging from the looks of this Camaro at speed, the suspension is already well dialed in. Roll, dive and squat are all pretty minimal for a car that's expected to have a curb weight in the range of 3,600-3,800 pounds. With the start of production for the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro still a year away, the engineers at Chevrolet still have plenty of time to fine-tune this car, so these Nürburgring tests are just the beginning.

See new Chevrolet models
See future Chevrolet models

Photos
Slideshow

(Enlarge photo)
Although the headlights aren't production units, the rest of this 2010 Chevrolet Camaro test mule is what you'll see in production next year. (Photo by KGP Photography)

(Enlarge photo)
Maybe it's just the angle, but the rear discs on this prototype look almost as big as the front rotors. (Photo by KGP Photography)

(Enlarge photo)
Forget those amber taillights; they're for testing purposes only. (Photo by KGP Photography)

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I wish the Camaro would get a Turbocharged V6!!! And hopfully it will get a Supercharged SS version with over 500hp!! ... hopfully the same Supercharged V8 thats in the CTS-V like the video says!

Does anyone know if it will get a 6-Speed Auto with a manual mode?? (steering wheel paddle shifters would be crazy awesome too!)

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Mmmm.....American Muscle.....yummy :D

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Oh, baby!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
They're also calling this exclusive, I've already seen pics on Camaro5.com
I tHought i had seen these already, thanks for pointing that out.

so what is the consensus/ speculation on what will be the camaro hierarchy

will the the Z28 be the top like it should be with SS and RS as trim packages. or will it be like the forth gen with base, z28, then SS. obviously know body knows for sure but whats everyones best guess?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Does anyone know if it will get a 6-Speed Auto with a manual mode?? (steering wheel paddle shifters would be crazy awesome too!)
Apparently it does, so says an eyewitness. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3589

Does Edmunds do any research? Last I heard production will start at the end of the year, not "a year away". If the ZR1 is running laps at the same time as the Camaro, I really don't see the Camaro being 1+years from dealer lots when the ZR1 will be out in what? Late August, September?

The platform and running gear have already been proven in other cars, all that remains is proving them together in a Camaro.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I really like the Camaro - especially the convertible concept. I don't know if I can nurse my current car along until 2010. It will be 9 years old and have a lot of miles by then (about 160k at my current driving rate). I think may have to defect to the dark side and pick up an S197 Mustang GT convertible or a low-milage used Saab 93 Aero convertible. Why, oh why is it taking so long to roll the new Camaro out?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Nothing more then a Z28?
Shesh...Edmunds has no idea wth they are talking about.
Everybody has their own opinion about which is more appropriate to be the top end moniker ... Z28 or SS. I'll agree with you that in '69 the Z28 was the hotter car compared with the SS. But with the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th gens, Z28 really just identified the V8 version and there really wasn't a "hi po" V8 version until the SS returned in '96. (Z28 was replaced with IROC for the late 80's, and I also know you could actually get a V8 in the berlineta which was a "businesman's" camaro.) Most people put the Z28 on par with the Trans Am, and then quantify the hi po versions as either the SS or the WS6.

I think it's safe to assume that most people therefore recognize the Z28 to be the base V8 while the SS specifies the hi po version, which in Camaro's case is a hi po V8 (compared with the Cobalt hi po I4).

So ... your entitled to your opinion, but understand that there are many others than have a different opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
The more I see of this car the more I like it. And it looks simply wicked on the 'ring. If they're testing it there it's gotta handle well! It'll eat the Dodge and Ford. And maybe even the Europeans will like it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
we were told at a gm dealer meeting that the camaro will be in canada first quarter 09, we weren't told if it was 09 or 10. hard to say, we are still waiting for G8's that are now going to be 09's when they were suppose to be 08's

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
for a car that's expected to have a curb weight in the range of 3,600-3,800 pounds.
Hmm... That could be good news. It could also be wishful thinking. If the LS3 version Camaro comes in a biscuit under 3800 pounds, I'll eat said biscuit. ;)

Here's to wishful thinking. :D

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Everybody has their own opinion about which is more appropriate to be the top end moniker ... Z28 or SS. I'll agree with you that in '69 the Z28 was the hotter car compared with the SS. But with the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th gens, Z28 really just identified the V8 version and there really wasn't a "hi po" V8 version until the SS returned in '96. (Z28 was replaced with IROC for the late 80's, and I also know you could actually get a V8 in the berlineta which was a "businesman's" camaro.) Most people put the Z28 on par with the Trans Am, and then quantify the hi po versions as either the SS or the WS6.

I think it's safe to assume that most people therefore recognize the Z28 to be the base V8 while the SS specifies the hi po version, which in Camaro's case is a hi po V8 (compared with the Cobalt hi po I4).

So ... your entitled to your opinion, but understand that there are many others than have a different opinion.
agreed, could not have said it any better myself. Thanks, I totally think you hit the bull's eye.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hasn't this car been seen enough to no longer warrant calling all these pictures "spy Photos"?

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
Hasn't this car been seen enough to no longer warrant calling all these pictures "spy Photos"?
hahahaha When people complain about it needing a refresh I'm pretty sure "spy photo" has been played out.

The car does look good squatting down on it's suspension while cornering nice and flat. Nice work!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts