GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would pass along this quick update on the G6 GXP. The current sedan will be a 2005 Model year car. Because it is only a sedan, the Grand Am will continue in 2005 as a coupe only. This is to facilitate a slow ramp up at the G6’s Ohio plant. A new model always has glitches, and it is easier to work them out on each model at a time than it would be to intro all three G6 models in one year. The sedan will launch with a 170 HP Ecotech base version, 200 HP 3.5L GT, and a 240 HP 3.9L GTP. The coupe (which was shown on GMI earlier in the year) will come online in 2006, with a hardtop convertible following it by 6 months to a year. At some point late in this process we will see a 6 speed manual and AWD work their way into the mix as options. The market will dictate when and how these options are available. If the US continues it’s love affair with AWD, that option will be available across the whole model range. If not it will be reserved for the GXP version. The 6 speed is most likely to go across the whole model range since more and more companies are offering them.

That last piece of the G6 puzzle is the GXP version which will likely show up in 2007. Initially, it will likely only be available on the coupe and convertible versions, with a sedan coming later and depending again on the market. The hardtop convertible will be the centerpiece of the group sporting an ASC roof unit similar to the SSR’s. It will also have an upgraded interior, AWD, the 6 speed, and about every other option GM can cram on the Epsilon platform. The car will be powered not by the rumored supercharged 3.5L engine, but instead by a 3.9L OHV V6 armed with three valve heads, variable valve timing, and Displacement on Demand. This engine will be good for 270 hp plus, and offer superior fuel economy to the supercharged 3.5L. Expect the price for a G6 GXP to run very near $35,000 by the time it is out.

In closing I want to stress that things at GM change daily, and the timeline for this is far from concrete. Everything mentioned in this article is fully engineered and likely to happen, it is just a matter of when and whether the market dictates it.

Please credit GMI when using this information!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I only wish that it wasn't so far away. I await the day when GM has enough confidence to release all models, all options on one day.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Hmm, by the time that 270+ "import killer" gets on the market in 07, the average HP in this segment will probably have risen to 270... :eek:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@Feb 22 2004, 06:08 PM
Hmm, by the time that 270+ "import killer" gets on the market in 07, the average HP in this segment will probably have risen to 270... :eek:
yeah, but like Branden stated: GM changes things daily.... So those numbers are diffenetly not set in stone yet...

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
I envision big things for the G6. My only gripe is the anticipated GXP price: $35,000? Yikes, that's pretty steep. And I cannot say that folks wouldn't be looking twice at the GTO at the price, particularly since the more powerful "Goat" comes with more hp and won't be eqipped with power-sapping AWD (though I imagine AWD will be an option on the GXP as opposed to a standard feature)...

Hmm, then again, things like the actual price may change by 2007 and make the GXP even more appealing...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Remember, though, that while the GTO will be cheaper, it's aimed at a different market than the G6 GXP, I believe. While I'm sure there will be some people who will buy the GTO over the GXP, I don't think it will be enough to matter. GM's starting to do their homework again, and I hope it's right.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by nightwave@Feb 22 2004, 08:16 PM
Remember, though, that while the GTO will be cheaper, it's aimed at a different market than the G6 GXP, I believe. While I'm sure there will be some people who will buy the GTO over the GXP, I don't think it will be enough to matter. GM's starting to do their homework again, and I hope it's right.
Top of the line GTO WILL NOT be cheaper than the G6 GXP.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hmm....GM has always appealed to me as the carmaker with better cars for a cheaper price. I don't know if I like them having a better car for a higher price. I'm cheap! :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Where did you get this info? I disagree with some of you're GXP info, based on my knowledge of the G6 program.

·
Registered
533 Posts
This is a good news / bad news type situation....we're getting better performance and a better car; that's the good news.

The bad news: I smell price creep here...first the GTO will go for $30k ('round here its $36k), then the G6 was pegged for mid-20's (now its $35k)....seems like bad news is for the Soltice's $20k base price....

I hope this trend doesnt continue.... :drevil:

·
Super Moderator
10,942 Posts
Originally posted by Branden+Feb 22 2004, 06:16 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Branden @ Feb 22 2004, 06:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The 6 speed is most likely to go across the whole model range since more and more companies are offering them. [/b]

Good news there, it's about time that GM started to offer manual transmissions on their cars. Though I know this may change later on, the option of a 6spd manual on all trim levels will go a long way towards getting performance oriented buyers to consider Pontiac again. When the original press release at the NAIAS stated that only the 3.9L would have a 6spd manual I was a bit taken aback. Why would GM only limit this to the top of the range model? Especially when not everyone (especially younger consumers who arguably would want this car) can not afford to purchase the top-end model. This was a stupid decision, but I'm glad to hear that they will offer it on the whole range.

<!--QuoteBegin-Branden
@Feb 22 2004, 06:16 PM

The car will be powered not by the rumored supercharged 3.5L engine, but instead by a 3.9L OHV V6 armed with three valve heads, variable valve timing, and Displacement on Demand. This engine will be good for 270 hp plus, and offer superior fuel economy to the supercharged 3.5L.
[/quote]

As for the 3.9L V6 w/270hp, here is an article from Auto-Report.net that has complete info on this new engine (as well as the new 3.5L-V6 and the 2.2 & 2.4L-I4s. It also mentions the 3 vales per cylinder configuration. If I remember what I've read correctly, this 3 valves per cylinder set up will also debut on the next Z06's Gen IV small block.

http://www.auto-report.net/index.html?gmpt05.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
This sounds like the right direction! Too bad it might be awhile, but I always wanted the RWD/AWD version of this or a Grand Prix. I hope price is closer to upper 20,000$ as well...
The optimal thing would be RWD mostly but switchable to AWD when weather permits to help with traction. Yet I'll take FWD with AWD as well I guess.
I would predict and hope that the 270+ HP is more "+" than not. I mean if there's AWD and all, then 270 HP from 240 won't be too noticeable ( performance-wise IMO) and therefore not worth the addition except maybe for the economy of cylinder shut-down, which is very nice.
Now I'm excited about this company and hope these changes trickle down to the Grand Prix as well. I heard of the 5.3 L V8 GPX possibilities but haven't heard much else as of late on that...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
goooood info! Price is very $$$ for what the car, and what the competition is doing... I dont know wtf Pontiac is doing? Perhaps they are aiming at the Acura and Infinity cars? TL vs I35x vs G6 GXP? I guess they are going to cover a broad market and I think that GM can take many positions with this one car
You have the base 4 cyl gets good gas milage. That covers the base
then you have the GT and GTP versions to take on Accord, Camry and Gallant.
then with teh GXP, it takes on the higher "sport luxury" imports like the Acuras and Infinitys.
And hard top vert!!! Holy crap, thats gunna get a lot of people turning heads. IMO, Id buy a GTP 3.9 240hp AWD 6spd manual hard top vert. Probably gunna cost in the low to mid 30's itself without the GXP package.
I can JUST imagine the price increase of the GTO after it becomed domesticated.
When it comes to the US, you will have several options probably.
(the following is my guess, and might not be even remotly right, but just an idea)
#1 base LS2 370-380hp. Options like sun roof, on star, wheels, etc
#2 "judge" package wil get a 390 hp package with hood scoops or some other fancy thing so that they can bump up the hp.
#3 GXP model 425-430hp w or w/o a blower
I think it would get a regular soft top vert, power operated unless they can find a cheap way to make a hard top.
The GTO will top out at perhaps 40-45k. Which might not be all that bad.
Cobalt SS around20k
Camaro(RS/Z28/SS) 20-35k
GTO 35-45k
Corvette 45-55k
Z06 55k-60k
CTSV 50-55k
STSV 70-75k
XLR 75-80k
XLRV 90-100k

You can climb the performance lader till you run out of money or time.
I see the Vert 270hp VVT 3.9 with the 6spd, GXP package, etc etc... gunna reach the north side of 35k.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The imports will laugh over the 3.9L, even if it makes 270hp.

No import is going to be killed by any OHV engine for the sole reason that import buyers demand DOHC. What GM should do is offer a supercharged 3.2L HF V6 with 320hp and 350 lb-ft torque, AWD, and a six speed. Then you have an import killer.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
270 HP seems too low for 2007. Either that of $35K seems too high.

I can get a 6 speed w/270 HP Acura TL loaded for $35K today. No need to wait 3 years. The G6 will have AWD, but I don't see it in the league of vehicles like the Infiniti G35 and Acura TL.

Mark

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Northstar@Feb 23 2004, 05:02 AM

No import is going to be killed by any OHV engine for the sole reason that import buyers demand DOHC. What GM should do is offer a supercharged 3.2L HF V6 with 320hp and 350 lb-ft torque, AWD, and a six speed. Then you have an import killer.
I dont think they DEMAND ohc. I dont see people all over the OHC motors. Hell, Id be impressed if 50% of the import buyers knew the difference between OHC and OHV motors.

Now why is OHV so bad here? this one uses VVT technology, 3 valves per cyl, and other. I bet that this "pushrod" motor is more technologicly advanced then the VVT OHC motors it will go up agaisnt. And 320hp in a FWD application? Id rather have anything north of 300hp come in RWD.

If you want a TL... then go ahead get it. I guess since eveyrone else has a car out there already, GM should just give up and not make any more cars?
270hp isnt too low, its just 270hp is out right now. 3 years from now, the TL could stay the same HP, and perhaps more like Brandon said. the numbers are not set in stone. By the time it rolls around, it could be 290hp. People buy imports, people buy domestics. If I can buy a high quality car from both import and a domestic company, both giving equal quality, performance and appearance, I will go to domestic all the time.... well not all the time. The G6 looks like it can put up a good fight with teh imports and it will give an AWD advantage over its conterparts. How many cars in the G6's class have a hardtop vert? How many have AWD? How many have a 270hp motor with a 6spd? Now how many have all of that?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Only thing wrong with the post is the fact that the G6 is not build at an Ohio plant, but at the Lake Orion, MI Assembly plant (which currently builds the Lesabre, Ultra, and Bonneville).

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Originally posted by Northstar@Feb 23 2004, 05:02 AM

While I'm certain that there are a minority of import buyers who express a preference for imports based on VVT this or DOHC that, I would be willing to bet that the majority have no idea what that means or which cars have them. This site is filled with people who are not the average car buying public (in some ways); I'm willing to bet that GMI members know a lot more about cars of all makes than the average American.

As anecdotal evidence, when I ask my friend why he bought a Nissan Maxima (ugh), he says things like "I like the looks" and "Nissan builds a better car than GM." While the first reason may be subjective and the second plain "mis-information," I'm not so sure he has the foggiest notion as to the horsepower that his car produces, let alone what the valve configuration is. As frustrating as it is, he bases his preference on taste (ahem) and plain old ignorance of the facts! :D

1 - 20 of 116 Posts