1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
Outsourcing IT is always a very sketchy proposition.
Outsourcing CAN bring significant cost savings and greater efficiency to a corporation if it is done correctly; however, managing outsourcing relationships can easily be a boat anchor if not done properly.

From the looks of this article, it looks like GM is doing a superb job of managing and outsourcing IT.

They are running IT as a separate business. They use business people, not technology people. It's interesting to say the least.

For my company, I am the sole "business person" in the heart of technology. Everyone else is a technologist and content to talk about blade servers and networking and software. I take a look at what the Business is doing and the strategy. It's a very interesting position to be in.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Too bad it has to be outsourced in order to get the cost savings GM is looking for. I'm glad GM is looking for areas to get overhead more in sync with the current size of the company. The UAW contract savings should be a major cost savings coming on-line around 2010. That'll make a huge difference.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
My wife is an IT recruiter for a small company in our town.

Most of the other recruiters are in their 30's and are only concerned with making comissions for themselves. My wife works to get her "techs" the most money for the job and to make sure the "hiring company" treats the techs properly at the job site. She also works to see that the tech is paid for the job ASAP and refuses to send a tech out to a job site when the cost of transportation to the job site is more than the tech would make on that job.

She just completed a big project in Canada, that none of the other recruiters would touch because of the language problem. My wife got the project completed because she believes in doing a good job and cares about people.

Most of the younger recruiters don't like her, but the bosses do, based on the profit they get and the comments from happy customers. I think she's finally had enough with the immaturity in that company and will accept an offer from another recruiting company.

What I'm trying to say is that outsourcing can be good or bad, depending on the company you hire and the people it employs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts