GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
The A8 is faster....why bother with a manual these days...and I've been driving manual transmission cars for over 35 years.....

Manuals are relics with automatic paddle shifters this good..

Plus the certification process and costs would not be cost effective..

Nobodies buying manuals in sedans any more...or at least not enough to warrant the cost.

I'd choose the A8 even if I were buying the hellcat challenger....even though it's available with either transmission.

I look forward to first year hellcat challenger transmission split.

Interestingly the new c7 z06 split could be as high as 85 /15 in favor of new A8....( might settle in around 60/40 due to supply side by the end of the year..

Automatic is just faster...

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
When manuals were faster I agree...when the latest automatic are faster...gotta go with that.

Reactions: 3M TA3

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I think comparing speed of every day driven sedans that 99.99% of never see a track day, and most importantly, that are driven by folks that would find themselves way over their head even on a track day...is completely moot. I like a manual transmission as I love to row my own gears and I can change a clutch and rebuild the gearbox with outmost confidence, as I like to keep my cars for a longer terms. Where anything electronic and German is a nightmare when it does not function right. Then there is the cost...shutter...

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
The A8 is faster....why bother with a manual these days...and I've been driving manual transmission cars for over 35 years.....

Nobodies buying manuals in sedans any more...or at least not enough to warrant the cost.

I'd choose the A8 even if I were buying the hellcat challenger....even though it's available with either transmission.

Interestingly the new c7 z06 split could be as high as 85 /15 in favor of new A8....( might settle in around 60/40 due to supply side by the end of the year..

The issue isn't shift speed it's control.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

No doubt that modern day auto's are far ahead of just about even the most experienced competition drivers but for me, I'll choose a stick every time just for the whole driving experience.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Are all of you out driving around as fast as possible all the time and need that last 0.2 seconds on a daily basis? Maybe I'm a different kind of car guy. I understand that some people prefer automatic, but can you not at least fathom that some other people might be willing to give up a tick of speed in a modern car for the enjoyment of changing gears?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts