GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first read about these folks back in '99. I e-mailed them at the time asking when they might be offering their new Packard to the public, and the reply I received indicated that manufacturing would begin in 2001.

Anyway, that never happened, and it looks like they really haven't gone anywhere. Even their Web site hasn't really changed in five years. Too bad, I was really excited about the idea and, based on a Detnews article I read at the time, I thought they had some money behind them.

The idea of a revived Packard as a preeminant American luxury car is also fading fast considering that Cadillac is quickly moving up the luxury scale. Pretty soon, there won't be any need for a Packard Motor Car Co. to produce American luxury cars with V12's and six-figure prices, as Cadillac will already have assumed that role.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I heard of that car. I think that's the car that they got celebrities to design it. I believe the back was by Stevie Wonder, and the front was Ray Charles.

Bleah!

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Actually, I heard that eventualy Packard will be returning... I went to the Packard Meuseum in Dayton Ohio about a year ago and the tour guide showed us a drawing of some future Packards... Looked quite promising..

He said that the only thing stoping a future Packard was the name itself... Something about the name is now owned by someone else or something ;)

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
:lol: That one gave me a smile, this morning, RexRaider. The first sentence about celebrities caught my attention- then came the punch line.
I agree, it looks bad.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Feb 24 2004, 12:28 PM
Actually, I heard that eventualy Packard will be returning... I went to the Packard Meuseum in Dayton Ohio about a year ago and the tour guide showed us a drawing of some future Packards... Looked quite promising..

He said that the only thing stoping a future Packard was the name itself... Something about the name is now owned by someone else or something ;)
The Company has the registration for the Packard name and trademark, and it is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
So I guess some other people are trying to as well?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by cyboexpo2002@Feb 24 2004, 12:02 PM
Well, photo gallery is from 2003...

http://www.packardmotorcar.com/pg.htm

Does look a little odd... might be the color though...

From what I've read, they are trying to secure financing...
ha! love how the comments they quote are all positive... they omitted "what the $%@# is that!"... and "free willy returns"! if they can't use the packard name, there's NO WAY this car'll fly. not that 'packard' means anything to my generation.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The Packard shown here was developed by a company based in Arizona (or New Mexico, I forget). The car is fairly impressive (aside from the polarizing styling) with its Falconer OHV V12 and all-wheel drive. The company failed to raise the desired capital and an attempt was made to liquidate the company.

Packard Motor Car Company, including the rights to the name, logos, website, and all car designs and parts, was put up on ebay a few years back. It failed to bring the desired million dollar reserve, topping out at well under $300k.

This is the reason why the folks in Dayton can't build a "Packard."

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Feb 24 2004, 05:26 PM
The Packard shown here was developed by a company based in Arizona (or New Mexico, I forget). The car is fairly impressive (aside from the polarizing styling) with its Falconer OHV V12 and all-wheel drive. The company failed to raise the desired capital and an attempt was made to liquidate the company.

Packard Motor Car Company, including the rights to the name, logos, website, and all car designs and parts, was put up on ebay a few years back. It failed to bring the desired million dollar reserve, topping out at well under $300k.

This is the reason why the folks in Dayton can't build a "Packard."
Data from US Patent (and Trademark Office)
2002-08-25 - Section 8 (6-year) accepted
So the application was filed in 1999 and accepted in 2002...

So the folks in Dayton will have to wait until the 26th of August 2008... then they can file for the name :)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Yeah-- this car's styling was horrendously outdated in 1999 even-- My first car was a 1953 Packard Clipper-- I drove it back and forth to school everyday in-- er-- I guess it was probably starting in '99... I kindof liked the idea of the brand coming back, but I don't see how it can ever be a success.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Feb 24 2004, 08:53 AM
I

The idea of a revived Packard as a preeminant American luxury car is also fading fast considering that Cadillac is quickly moving up the luxury scale. Pretty soon, there won't be any need for a Packard Motor Car Co. to produce American luxury cars with V12's and six-figure prices, as Cadillac will already have assumed that role.

he car looks ugly but if i think their could still be need for a Parkard, use some classic styling and hand build them and make it look good. I mean germany has lots (Rolls-Royce=BMW, Bentley=Voltswagen, Maybach=DiamlerChrysler). The US needs a contender sense Cadillac's RollsRoyce fighter is a few years away and Lincoln seems to be lots with totally new design thems every year and none of styling makin it to production. The sad thing is it is successful it will probably be baught out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts