·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even Humble Aztek Outselling Pontiac's Touted GTO
June, 2004
JIM MATEJA
Chicago Tribune

There are a few red faces at General Motors.

In the first four months of this year, sales of the Pontiac Aztek sport utility, considered by many the most gosh-awful-looking vehicle on the planet, totaled 7,416 units, down from 11,311 a year earlier.

But the countdown to Aztek obscurity is not what's causing the red faces.

In the same period, sales of the Pontiac GTO totaled 2,800 units, meaning Aztek outsold the highly touted performance coupe by more than 2½-to-1.

GTO is derived from the rear-wheel-drive Monaro produced by GM's Holden operations in Australia.

Even before GTO went on sale in late December, critics complained that the styling was plain and not suited to a nameplate that kicked off the muscle-car era in the 1960s.

Although Pontiac is considering styling tweaks on future models to soothe the critics, it insists that as many people like the look as object to it and that styling isn't what held back sales.

"While we'd always like to sell more, we haven't been disappointed with GTO sales so far," Pontiac spokesman Tom Beaman said.

Not disappointed even though Pontiac forecast sales of 16,000 to 18,000 units a year, and is on target to sell only about 7,400?

Beaman cites a winter launch of a rear-wheel-drive performance car as one reason for slow early sales in the Northern states.

He also said that although the GTO did not fare well in the Snow Belt during the winter, it has done well in southern California, where Pontiac is traditionally weak.

There, more than 40 percent of GTO sales are conquests - captured from rival brands - so more GTOs will be shipped there.

Full Article Here

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
god, people just look for anything they can possibly put to words to put GM down. You cant compare the two. One is an SUV that sells for 20-25 grand, the other is a rwd performance coupe that sells for 35 grand. Come on!

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Originally posted by GM_Guy81@Jun 16 2004, 02:52 AM
god, people just look for anything they can possibly put to words to put GM down. You cant compare the two. One is an SUV that sells for 20-25 grand, the other is a rwd performance coupe that sells for 35 grand. Come on!
good point

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to mention all of the Azteks I saw at the airport rental lot last winter - 40% fleet sales wouldn't shock me.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm surprised sales have been so low. I've yet to read a review of the GTO that wasn't overall very positive.

I like the GTO front and interior. The gas tank in the trunk and the rear turn me off though.

Mark

·
Registered
533 Posts
Three words: Dealer Availbility Adder. Above and beyond the 'affordable' $35k it adds another $1800 to $2500 per unit. Then the dealer throws on some 'bling-bling' rims and suddenly its $39k and no negotiations.

An affordable RWD / v8 / manual tranny coupe sounded good...too bad it's gonna wear a blue oval and come out in September. :drevil:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
jeez, people don't even think of the fact that the GTO was never supposed to be high volume to begin with. it's a limited appeal car, and it's mighty hard to get ahold of, and on top of it all, car sales in general have been down this year... at least they are down here. people are just morons.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Let's not forget the fact that if I (like many others) was in the market for a GTO, it'd be foolish to buy one this year when it's going to get the LS2, hood scoops, and dual exhaust outlets next year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You know what's contributing to the GTO not selling so much also is that some dealers that have them are guarding them too much.
Case in point: I went into a major Pontiac dealership that had only 2 GTOs in stock and IN the showroom. I asked to 'take a look at one' and the dealer just let me do that -but only the outside of it, he didn't offer to let me in or ask if I was looking to buy one or nothing. He didn't even offer to let me test drive it. Needless to say, it's no wonder they aren't selling with sales tactics like that!!! (I'm middle aged and well-off financially, so no excuses.)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
altough I won't waste my time reading all this BS article, what is their suggestion? to drop the gto and build some more aztecs? that's pathetic...

is there any other car in thhe chevy/pontiac/buick lineup selling above msrp? the fact that the gto is even more expensive dosen't help at all, because anyone expects a huge rebate from those manufacturers, the second they step in
i could bet that is no way you can take a demo for a spin either...

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
haha, we must have writing those replys the same time:

some dealers suck, we should also thank them for the low sales of the f-body...

·
Registered
956 Posts
EXACTLY!!! Dealers are doing the same thing to the GTO as the f-bods...won't let people drive them, hold the price up high, no negotiations, etc. Maybe GM will smarten up one day, I for one would love a 2005 but will they be available in Canada?? Probably not...more sales lost....

later
Tim

·
Registered
118 Posts
Originally posted by chev454ls@Jun 16 2004, 04:06 AM
Let's not forget the fact that if I (like many others) was in the market for a GTO, it'd be foolish to buy one this year when it's going to get the LS2, hood scoops, and dual exhaust outlets next year.
Those options, with a price around $28,000.00 would surely boost sales.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Ballistic+Jun 16 2004, 04:55 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ballistic @ Jun 16 2004, 04:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chev454ls@Jun 16 2004, 04:06 AM
Those options, with a price around $28,000.00 would surely boost sales. [/b][/quote]
Its not a high volume car, so dont expect to see thoes prices unless there is a few years on them. People have yet to gather the notion of paying 30+k for a Pontiac. As you can see by the last TA sales, this trend isnt new. The GTO isnt supposed to be a stripped down car, and never was. It was always the highest option for the Tempest, and then turned into is own high cost market. Someone brought up the idea that the GTO was made for kids back in the 60's when the GTO cost about as much as a mid level Corvette. And it was deffinatly not made for teens. Maybe teens wanted the car, and eventualy when they were 3-5 years old, they fell into the hands of teens, much like the third gens, 5.0s and LT1 cars of today.

On top of the fact that anyone looking for a GTO probably now knows that next year its getting more power, better brakes, and a new revamped look, they will probably hold off, and sales of the GTO will stay at the level they are now. At least thats what I predict. I see next year GTO sales hitting the 18k mark.
Remember also that our GTO is much cheaper then the less powerful base V8 Monaro. A Monaro V8 starts at around 40k US$. I think we got a great deal. Its just that if this was a Lexus, Infinity, Acura, MB, or BMW, people would have zero problems and sales would probably be pretty good. But because its a Pontiac, and its stablemates are the 10 year old sunfire, Grand Am, and Azteck, no one will take Pontiac seriously. Every review of teh GTO has all been full of praise.
I can honestly say that if I had 35k to spend on a car, the GTO would be sitting in my garage right now. There isnt a better car out there for the money. Of course Id wait till 05. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's really too bad about the Aztek's looks. A lot of the people who own or have driven it love it for some reason. Apparently its pretty practical and drives well. Hell, I know a particular automotive executive that owns an Aztek (no, its not a company car).

Its also too bad that the GTO was not given a more exciting design from the beginning. The car has the nicest interior of any sub 40,000 GM car.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Add me to the list of people who think the dealers are responsible. Last month I was buying a new car and seriosly considered a new GTO. I went to 2 local pontiac dealers that had them, and at both places they had an addition to the window sticker saying "limited availability: $3000.000". I went inside and the salesmen/managers I spoke to said there would be absoultly no negotiating on the cars, that the price on them is the price a person had to pay to buy one.
I ended up buying a Saturn Redline SUV.
I haven't checked out those 2 pontiac dealers in the last week, but 2 weeks ago I drove by and the GTO's were STILL sitting there at both of them Unsold.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Same here...was in the market for a car, looked at a local dealership in April, and they had them marked up $2,500. No thank you. (Of course, that same dealership had a new 2003 Bonneville that I liked {stickered at $37,000}, offered $27,000, being that it was a year old, and they laughed at the offer.) Both cars are still sitting on the lot. When will they learn?

To agree with an earlier post, they should be priced a little lower, and they would be selling better. Including taxes, if one was able to get out the door for $30 grand or less, they wouldn't be on the lots.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
i think the purpose of the comparison was to show just how low the GTO sales are. both are unique pontiac vehicles with only a limited audience. GTO never was designd to reach aztek levels, perhaps, but it's even off pace for it's own moderate sales target. hopefully there is a seasonal factor and that sales will climb now that it's warmer, but according to what i've heard from GMi posters the car seems to have lots working against it (despite being a pretty fantastic car by all other measurables): understated styling, high pricing, promise of an improved version shortly, and a dealer network with an ego problem.

i thought i heard once that lotus was applying for an exemption from the bumper standards for the elise in attempting to bring it into the states, citing low volumes as an excuse (cost to modify the bumpers would be excessive for such a low-selling vehicle). maybe it'd never fly, but i wonder if the canadian government would look the other way and let a few GTO's trickle through the gates!

okay no, i guess that won't happen. pipe dream over. bring on the pontiac wave!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I grew up in the 60's and early 70's and owned several "muscle cars" in the 70's. I currently own a C5 coupe. Considering my age, income, etc., I am probably one of Pontiac's "target market" consumers.

The main reason that I would not consider buying a new GTO is that it looks like a big Cavalier. I don't care how powerful the engine is or how good the inside styling is. It is an overpriced, bland looking car.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts