GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The EV1 Club has photos confirming GM's "scorched-earth" EV1 policies. These photos were taken in December 2003 at GM's Desert Proving Grounds in Mesa, AZ and show the cars - which were leased not owned - being dismantalled as they come back to GM.

A sad end to what was a real technological wonder - especially as GM now lags behind Toyota and Honda in environmentally-friendly hybrids.

See http://ev1-club.power.net/ and http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=ar...cle&storyid=622.

·
Registered
524 Posts
GM really got screwed on that deal. California was trying to force all manufactorers to sell an electric car. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to sell cars there any more. Everyone an elctric car still wasn't practical, but GM spend millions to develop one, that actually wasn't that bad for an electric car. Only GM and Honda actually sold any, and California set the whole thing aside. Meanwhile Toyota spends there money elsewhere and they look like the hero. I'm sure if GM didn't waste so much time and money on the EV1, they might have hybrids already.

-T

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Jan 15 2004, 04:06 PM
GM really got screwed on that deal. I'm sure if GM didn't waste so much time and money on the EV1, they might have hybrids already.
Indeed. Instead we get a few Silverados sold to Fleet with hybrid assist... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Except, the knowledge they gained on electric motors, batteries and controllers (the last being the most complex) is all applicable to hybrids. If anything, the EV1 program should have gave the General a big head start on hybrids.

Too bad to see the cars go the crusher. Kind of reminds me of what happened to the Chrysler Turbine cars. Hopefully someone will hang on to a couple of EV1s as they will likely have some kind of historical significance in a few decades.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by Tone@Jan 15 2004, 10:16 PM
Hopefully someone will hang on to a couple of EV1s as they will likely have some kind of historical significance in a few decades.
Doubtful. GM will probably call them all back in to be crushed.

GM might just save one or two for historical references in some warehouse - but i think it's unlikely GM will ever let those see the light of day again.

·
Registered
135 Posts
EV1 was the only GM north american vehicle with an aluminum chassis, could make a heck of a sports car out of this structure.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
In addition to GM and Honda, Nissan (Altra EV), Toyota (RAV4 EV), Chrysler (EPIC minivan), and Ford (Ranger EV) had electric vehicles. GM didn't get screwed...they (all of these companies) made the attempt to prove a point to California that the state wasn't learning on their own.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by GroundedZ@Jan 15 2004, 09:45 PM
GM might just save one or two for historical references in some warehouse - but i think it's unlikely GM will ever let those see the light of day again.
Actually, I remember reading before that some EV1's are going to be donated to universities. I'm sure GM will hang on to one or two as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts