10. Fiat 500 18,194 +8%

Top 5 EU Markets - September

1.RHD United Kingdom 425,861 +5.6%
2. LHD Germany 260,062 +5.2%
3. LHD France 151,089+6.3%
4. LHD Italy 110,436 +3.3%
5. LHD Spain 57,010 +26.2%

EU Sales ACEA LINK

General Motors of Europe biggest markets in September.

No1 RHD GM UK 44,883
No2 LHD GM Germany 19,759
No3 LHD GM France 6,531
No4 LHD GM Italy 6,334
No5 LHD GM Spain 3,994

Just under 45,000 of 91,989 GM of Europe sales were RHD Vauxhall UK sales. Chevy don't leave EU until December 589 Chevy EU sales & 3 Chevy UK sales, Caddy dropped from 11 sales down to 0 sales in September 14 according to ACEA.

Top Brand performers were Dacia, Jeep & Mazda. Spain, Cyprus, Greece & Portugal were some of the best performing markets with biggest percentage rise in sales. VW Golf & VW Polo seem to be eating larger portions of the cake. GM star country was Spain sales were nearly up +50% at Opel.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
I think German car sales are more than the UK over the course of a year.
Indeed they are - the difference is that the UK has recovered from the recession and is now clawing it's way back up while the Eurozone is still in recession and severely restricted by the common currency which means that the bankrupt countries of Europe are dragging Germany down with them.

But the Eurozone has always been dominated by Germany - gaining the economic power over mainland Europe that Hitler never could by force.

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought a LOT of the UK sales are driven around corporate tax time as companies make profit offsetting purchases and that causes a very PEAKY month to month sales patterns
The change of registration number and model year introduction does boost retail UK sales in September - fleet sales aren't affected, simply replace cars as leases expire.

Of course comparing Sept '13 to Sept '14 removes that effect.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Does Vauxhall equal/exceed the sales of Opel ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
So obviously the upcoming new Corsa and Astra are the most critical elements for GM Europe's success. A new Insignia will be nice too, and the Mokka and Adam have been relative successes, but one look at the top ten tells us that once the Corsa and Astra are out we will see whether GM will have any real turnaround in Europe.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I'm glad to see Peugeot and Citroen up. I've always rooted for the PSA group, as I think they have a really likeable lineup. I'm still nervous for their longterm viability, but I feel they deserve this current uptick in sales. The Citroen Cactus will be an interesting vehicle to follow, as it is a departure for Citroen.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
The real news is the rise of the Renault-Nissan group - they are actually number 2 if counted together. This is thanks to the new Twingo and Qashqai. Dacia is going gangbusters by offering unparalleled value. PSA is also up far beyond the rise in home market France - the new refreshed 508, the 308 and 208, as well as the budget sedan 301 on the Peugeot side and C4 Cactus and Picasso at Citroen. Mazda continues to grow on three models basically - 3, 6 and CX5. Watch them grow further once the new 2 debuts.

This all proves that in the retail market, uniqueness, great styling and value sell, and it also counts to explore new segments and innovate.

GM's cars are better than ever, but dropping the value-segment Chevrolet did nothing for their sales. Opel cars are also boring, and still do not have the same cachet as VW, and VW has Skoda and Seat to cover the value segment. Same is the fate of Toyota and Honda - Toyota has the massive EU support for their hybrid cars and Hondas are arguably trumping everybody on almost all counts (in terms of specs, practicality, economy etc.), but they are hardly moving. They are simply seen as not innovative enough, there is nothing exciting about owning their cars.

Do also watch BMW and Daimler becoming almost as big as Ford and Opel, while Lexus, Volvo and even the poor Lancia/Chrysler grow in the double digits. MINI and Fiat 500 are also on the rise, despite being in the market for a while (it is irrelevant that the MINI is all-new, nobody noticed). Premium is the new volume, but the pricing premium is still there. More and more people see owning a new car as a luxury and a personal statement, and appreciate the better interiors, styling, options and general qualities that come with that.

Same for second-hand buyers and those with a lower budget - why settle for a boring Astra if a slightly used certified pre-owned BMW can be had for the same monies. Dealers and manufacturers effectively make the money twice-over and keep income coming from service and spare parts. But most importantly the resales keep the actual cost of buying the car via leasing affordable and comparable with the rapidly-depreciating volume-brand cars, who suffer from the number of beaten-up decontented fleet specials in the used car market (and competition from similar-priced premium cars push them down even further).

With record low interest rates, more and more new car buyers opt for leasing, which is why the premium brands are on the rise. PSA is rolling out a new total leasing offer as well, which combined with the appeal of their newer cars draws in buyers as well. Opel is still stuck in the past. Time to wake up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The real news is the rise of the Renault-Nissan group - they are actually number 2 if counted together. This is thanks to the new Twingo and Qashqai. Dacia is going gangbusters by offering unparalleled value. PSA is also up far beyond the rise in home market France - the new refreshed 508, the 308 and 208, as well as the budget sedan 301 on the Peugeot side and C4 Cactus and Picasso at Citroen. Mazda continues to grow on three models basically - 3, 6 and CX5. Watch them grow further once the new 2 debuts.

This all proves that in the retail market, uniqueness, great styling and value sell, and it also counts to explore new segments and innovate.

GM's cars are better than ever, but dropping the value-segment Chevrolet did nothing for their sales. Opel cars are also boring, and still do not have the same cachet as VW, and VW has Skoda and Seat to cover the value segment. Same is the fate of Toyota and Honda - Toyota has the massive EU support for their hybrid cars and Hondas are arguably trumping everybody on almost all counts (in terms of specs, practicality, economy etc.), but they are hardly moving. They are simply seen as not innovative enough, there is nothing exciting about owning their cars.

Do also watch BMW and Daimler becoming almost as big as Ford and Opel, while Lexus, Volvo and even the poor Lancia/Chrysler grow in the double digits. MINI and Fiat 500 are also on the rise, despite being in the market for a while (it is irrelevant that the MINI is all-new, nobody noticed). Premium is the new volume, but the pricing premium is still there. More and more people see owning a new car as a luxury and a personal statement, and appreciate the better interiors, styling, options and general qualities that come with that.

Same for second-hand buyers and those with a lower budget - why settle for a boring Astra if a slightly used certified pre-owned BMW can be had for the same monies. Dealers and manufacturers effectively make the money twice-over and keep income coming from service and spare parts. But most importantly the resales keep the actual cost of buying the car via leasing affordable and comparable with the rapidly-depreciating volume-brand cars, who suffer from the number of beaten-up decontented fleet specials in the used car market (and competition from similar-priced premium cars push them down even further).

With record low interest rates, more and more new car buyers opt for leasing, which is why the premium brands are on the rise. PSA is rolling out a new total leasing offer as well, which combined with the appeal of their newer cars draws in buyers as well. Opel is still stuck in the past. Time to wake up.
I wish SAAB was still around and part of GM. It will be difficult for Cadillac or Opel to occupy the volume-premium segment in Europe.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if this is only temporary, and that the EU will slip back into a recession. The southern EU countries keep spending too much without becoming more competitive, and countries like Germany and the Netherlands are perhaps disciplining themselves too much in order to balance the budget.
I wouldn't be too pessimistic. All of the countries were disciplining themselves overly, this proved that neither Keynesian nor Friedmanian theories work, the actual practice is more complicated and good econometrics should be applied. I do believe all Southern countries did indeed change profoundly when it comes to both structural reforms and, more importantly, social consciousness with regard to economy. Portugal had the most robust economy oriented towards delivering value, and they were the first out of the recession and relatively most well off. The others will follow suit.

The segment that will continue to grow regardless of the others, though, will be premium cars. Buying new cars is becoming second priority for both consumers and enterprises given the amount of other choices. This shift will continue regardless of economic situation.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I wish SAAB was still around and part of GM. It will be difficult for Cadillac or Opel to occupy the volume-premium segment in Europe.
What GM did to/with SAAB is a major major corporate fcuk up. And then GM blamed the market.

Good luck with Opel/Vx in Europe - according to the latest brand strength indicators, they are way behind Kia/Hyundai, not to mention the VAG group.

Cadillac EU = 0 sales in September. Why even bother?

·
Registered
7,899 Posts
GM's cars are better than ever, but dropping the value-segment Chevrolet did nothing for their sales.
The after-discount prices for "value-segment" Chevrolets were higher than Vauxhalls - so much for being budget-priced, but budget-built they certainly were.

Hyundai/Kia have shown how to make money out of budget-built/budget-priced cars but Chevrolet was doomed from the start when GM tried to sell budget-built cars at mainstream prices.

If they'd kept the Daewoo badge and sold at budget prices, they could have been successful.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
ThThis is thanks to the new Twingo...
Do you have any specifics on how the Twingo is doing? We all scream and yell (at least on the forums!) for more RWD cars, so I'm VERY curious to know how this little car is being received. I thought that it was a bold move by Renault, so if it's doing well like you say then I'd say they deserve their success.

Also, is the Smart version out yet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts