GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gm Europe sources tell us cadillac won't sell the CTS or CTS-V on the continent, but there are plans for a totally different caddy better suited to european dimensional tastes and needs. The sedan will sit on the same platform used by the saab 9-3, opel vectra and chevy malibu, and should go on sale by 2007. the new midsize cadillac, most likely built in sweden, will join the XLR in the effort to re-establish the brand as a world-class luxury builder. there is a distinct possibilty of importing the car to the united states.

-AutoWeek Mag

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
keep it in europe, where its logical, not needed here.. send IMAJ concept over here as deville replacement or all new model!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imaj alone, not as deville. sorry to disagree. ok well yeah i agree to keep it over there, the mags would rip it open and spill out its guts by calling it a dressed up malibu.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, I dont think that caddy should get an epsilon. HOWEVER, they NEED a smaller than CTS vehicle.

The CTS is HUGE, and thats why I bought a 9-3. I want a RWD 3-series style caddy. The CTS will never compete with the euros for those of us who like small tossable luxury vehicles.

5,934 Posts
Ballistic - I agree. I think the CTS may sell in Europe.

:type:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I dont see why they dont sell the CTS over there. It was born there! A CTSV model would be cool. Really show up them germans. But im sure they have even more evil models over there.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by me3head@Apr 15 2004, 08:40 PM
Well, I dont think that caddy should get an epsilon. HOWEVER, they NEED a smaller than CTS vehicle.

The CTS is HUGE, and thats why I bought a 9-3. I want a RWD 3-series style caddy. The CTS will never compete with the euros for those of us who like small tossable luxury vehicles.
the next gen CTS will shrink 3 inches.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Apr 15 2004, 03:41 PM
Ballistic - I agree. I think the CTS may sell in Europe.

:type:
europe has small streets and crampted parking , CTS is huge compared to their standards. and RWD factor that we love, doesnt do much for them. something off malibu platform would be good for europe, not the U.S. though.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat+Apr 15 2004, 03:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Smilingoat @ Apr 15 2004, 03:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-me3head@Apr 15 2004, 08:40 PM

the next gen CTS will shrink 3 inches. [/b][/quote]
ughhhh.. why?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by me3head@Apr 15 2004, 08:40 PM

your argument makes a round-about (and unintended) case for an epsilon-based european caddy. you said "The CTS will never compete with the euros for those of us who like small tossable luxury vehicles"... and you bought a saab 9-3... which leads me to think the epsilon paltform is a decent small, tossable luxury vehicle. i think it could be a fine euro caddy... but i'd agree with those that say it's not needed over here in north america.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If the CTS is too big for europe then why do they make the BMW 5 series, 7 series, Merc E-series and Jag S-type and all those big audis?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s+Apr 15 2004, 08:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (IMPALAon20s @ Apr 15 2004, 08:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2004, 03:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-me3head
@Apr 15 2004, 08:40 PM

the next gen CTS will shrink 3 inches.
ughhhh.. why? [/b][/quote]
to make it more different from the STS, im actually glad, when i drove it it was still a little larger than i wanted, the wheelbase will stay the same, short overhangs, all that stuff. it will be good, 3 inches will be a good thing in my opinion.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Originally posted by Z28x@Apr 15 2004, 08:50 PM
If the CTS is too big for europe then why do they make the BMW 5 series, 7 series, Merc E-series and Jag S-type and all those big audis?
They make 5-series and 7-series, but the 3-series sells a LOT more than those models. And Europeans like things even smaller, that's why BMW is about to release the 1-series, and Mercedes has the A-class, Audi A3, etc.

The CTS is just as big as a 5-series, even though it's supposed to compete against the 3-series. Here in the U.S. the extra size is a plus for many people, though not for all, but in Europe it's actuall more of a hindrance to people who are worried about small, narrow streets and really high gas prices.

I say GM should wait to release the smaller, next-gen CTS in Europe, which will be closer in size to the 3-series, keep the STS where it is, and make a DTS to compete against the 7-series. Then they'll have a full lineup that they can sell anywhere in the world, not just here in the U.S. and in very small numbers in other parts.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
same here, although one day ill probably own a STS anyway and skip over the small gen one anyway... but still, would like a smaller coupe version.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat@Apr 15 2004, 04:15 PM
same here, although one day ill probably own a STS anyway and skip over the small gen one anyway... but still, would like a smaller coupe version.
either size in a coupe would be great. would that be a CTC? ugh, this whole letter naming thing was cool for awhile, gettin on my nerves now.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
if there is an Epsilon Caddy, hopefully it will bring about AWD. SAAB needs it, but GM doesn't seem to want to put too much money into them. if they do it for Cad, then it would be something that SAAB could get as a byproduct. or will the Epsilon platform even support it? hmm... just a thought.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Apr 15 2004, 04:30 PM
if there is an Epsilon Caddy, hopefully it will bring about AWD. SAAB needs it, but GM doesn't seem to want to put too much money into them. if they do it for Cad, then it would be something that SAAB could get as a byproduct. or will the Epsilon platform even support it? hmm... just a thought.
Epsilon would support AWD, just hasnt been done yet. i was reading an article that said the reason the Epsilon platform is a "global platform" was because its flexibility with different drivetrains, axles, so it can be used in all markets.. and pointed out that it now could accept AWD but hasnt been done.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts