GM Inside News Forum banner

EU lawmakers agree to phase out combustion-engine cars by 2035, EU not very popular.

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  CaptainDan 
#1 ·
EU lawmakers agree to phase out combustion-engine cars by 2035 as scientists warn emissions must fall by 45 percent THIS DECADE to hit 1.5C target – but Sunak pulls out of Cop27 summit and downgrades minister
  • Cars currently account for 12 per cent of all C02 emissions in the EU
  • Negotiations finalised to stop new C02 emitting cars by 2035 in the EU
  • But emissions need to fall by half by 2030 in order to meet 1.5C heating target
  • Plans being put in place may not be enough and may only achieve five to ten per cent reduction in emissions by 2030
Hair Spokesperson News Flag of the united states Microphone

By OLIVIA DEVEREUX-EVANS FOR MAILONLINE

EU lawmakers struck a deal on Thursday to effectively ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2035, with the goal of accelerating the switch to electric vehicles and to combat climate change.

However, the agreement came as scientists warned emissions must fall by 45 per cent this decade to hit the 1.5C target, suggesting even the landmark move will not be enough, and many more measures will have to be taken.

The Emissions Gap report, completed by the United Nations Environment Programme, found that national promises made since last year's COP26 summit in Glasgow would only shave less than one percent off global greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.

Fears continue to grow over climate change, as numerous weather events strike the world, exacerbated by climbing temperatures.

Since the start of the Industrial Revolution, the world has warmed nearly 1.2 degrees.

The Emissions Gap report examines the difference between the planet-heating pollution that will still be released under countries' decarbonisation plans and what science says is needed to keep to the Paris Agreement goal of limiting warming to between 1.5-2.0C.

Progress on emissions cutting was labelled 'woefully inadequate' by UNEP, a day after the UN's climate change agency said that governments were still doing 'nowhere near' enough to keep global heating to 1.5C.

It stated that the world was 'hurtling towards' a temperature rise far in excess of the Paris goals.

Inger Andersen, the executive director of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), said: 'This report tells us in cold scientific terms what nature has been telling us all year through deadly floods, storms and raging fires: we have to stop filling our atmosphere with greenhouse gases, and stop doing it fast.

'We had our chance to make incremental changes, but that time is over. Only a root-and-branch transformation of our economies and societies can save us from accelerating climate disaster.

'It is a tall, and some would say impossible, order to reform the global economy and almost halve greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, but we must try,' she said. 'Every fraction of a degree matters: to vulnerable communities, to ecosystems, and to every one of us.'

The UN secretary general, António Guterres, said: 'Emissions remain at dangerous and record highs and are still rising. We must close the emissions gap before climate catastrophe closes in on us all.'

Prof David King, a former UK chief scientific adviser, said: 'The report is a dire warning to all countries – none of whom are doing anywhere near enough to manage the climate emergency.'

'It's another year squandered in terms of actually doing something about the problem,' the report's lead author, Anne Olhoff, said.

'That's not to say that all nations have not taken this seriously. But from a global perspective, it's definitely very far from adequate.'

Glasses Tie Chair Blazer Crowd

Currently, cars account for 12 per cent of all CO2 emissions in the EU, while transportation overall accounts for around a quarter.

Head of the European parliament's environment commission, French MEP Pascal Canfin, said that the negotiations had been finalised and legislation was put in place to stop new CO2 emitting cars.

Their agreement means that they are aiming for 100 per cent zero emission vehicles by 2035 and intermediary phases between 2025 and 2030.

In order for the EU to meet the target of only 1.5C of heating, emissions must fall by about half by 2030.

But current plans being put in place to target climate change may not be enough, and may only achieve a five- to 10-percent reduction in emissions by 2030.

Also, the UN environment agency has revealed that the only way to lessen the impact of the climate crisis is a 'rapid transformation of societies.'

And after analysing the gap between CO2 cuts pledged by countries and what needs to be done to limit rise in global temperature to 1.5C, it said that progress has been 'woefully inadequate.'

Despite the bleak new report, Downing Street announced Thursday that Sunak will not be attending the Cop27 summit in Egypt next month in order to focus on 'other pressing domestic commitments', sparking outrage.

The new report also came as oil giant Shell announced another huge spike in profits - 8.2billion in just three months - without paying a penny in windfall tax.

After the negotiations on combustion-engine cars, Mr Canfin had tweeted: 'Historic EU decision for the climate which definitively confirms the target of 100 percent zero emission vehicles in 2035 with intermediary phases between 2025 and 2030.'

A spokesperson for the Czech presidency of the EU Council also tweeted 'We have an agreement.'

Talks had taken place between representatives of the European Council fronting for the 27 EU countries.

The European Council got underway on Thursday and was set to continue until an agreement was reached.

It comes as the EU takes further steps to move towards a carbon-neutral future- a key pledge by commission chief Ursula von der Leyen.

But not everyone has been fully on board with all of the targets. Conservative lawmakers and Germany showed reluctance on some of them as they fear that there would be a costly burden on EU automakers competing against global rivals with looser targets.

Thursday's agreement to ban cars with internal combustion engines was voted for by the European Parliament in June.

That backed a commission proposal unveiled last year, part of an ambitious climate target to cut emissions by 90 percent by 2035 compared to a 2021 baseline.

It comes as consumers affected by energy costs and greener traffic regulations begin to move away from CO2-emitting models, with around 12 per cent of new cars sold in the EU now electric.

And China, the world's biggest automobile market, wants at least half of all new cars to be electric, plug-in hybrid or hydrogen-powered by 2035.

However, the UN has said that more needs to be done in order to stick to the 1.5 degree target and has said that there is 'no credible pathway to 1.5 degrees in place.'

On Wednesday it warned that current plans to combat climate change leave the world on track to heat by as much as 2.6 degrees this century.

It said that emissions have to fall by 45 per cent this decade in order to limit global warming.

Sky Plant Font Tree Landscape

LINK

Looks like the jet setters are off the Egypt COP27 jolly next week to save the planet which will no doubt involve taxing us all more to make the weather better for us all, 10 feet of snow outside your front door, and black outs with no money left in your pockets for heating your homes or food.

You will own nothing and be happy.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like the jet setters are off the Egypt COP27 jolly next week to save the planet which will no doubt involve taxing us all more to make the weather better for us all, 10 feet of snow outside your front door, and black outs with no money left in your pockets for heating your homes or food.

You will own nothing and be happy.

Still wearing masks there, eh?

So 1.5 C = 2.7 F. They need to Speak Amurrican at these wacko conferences. No wonder half the audience is asleep or looks crazy. As for the other half, they look like bank robbers. :devilish:

#3 ·
Lol great pic of Boris. Johnson always reminded me of Yeltsin in appearing like the last guy on earth who would be running a country. Ironic they shared the same first name.

• Haha
Reactions: Oldsmobile stopped
#5 ·
That's the problem, they can't think. They follow The Master Computer. They Obey.
They would have absolutely utterly zero idea why, when they wake up one day and there's no heat, no light, no fish n chips, no beer.

#6 ·
I want to see their "solution" for volcanic eruptions. Maybe a giant cork.

By 2030, caves for all. No fires, because fire bad. Those that don't freeze will be the chosen ones. Losing over half the population in a couple of short years should allow them to reach their goal, as long as we get that pesky volcano thing, and naturally caused fires from lightning, taken care of.

#9 ·
I want to see their "solution" for volcanic eruptions. Maybe a giant cork.
...and corks rammed up cows butts, according to men in white coats with big Bill Gates paid budgets, say cow flatulence causes global warming and make nasty smelly niffs.

Experts say if this sort of nasty cow flatulence thing is not stamped out Florida & Maldives will under 20 feet of water, GW experts say it can't go on we will all drown, and Bill will cut our scientific budgets.

WEF punishment & plan, will be turn everyone Vegan at McVegan lentil soup & lettuce leaf salad slow food outlets or starve choice, for consumers after 2030, Bill Gates foundation has been buying up all the US cattle farms & land to save American's and the world to grow rice, lentils and lettuce leafs on mass.

You will own nothing and be happy vegans.

You could not make this crap up if you tried, but this is the truth it's coming what our masters want.

None of it will matter China will have opened up another 50 new coal power stations by the time the Jet-setters have finished COP27 cut global warming jolly in Egypt next week.

#7 ·
Greta isn’t attending either, she finally figured out politicians. She said they are all talk and no action. And basically correct. Everyone talks about doing something but no one does or skates out of it. Give it time it will fall apart.

#8 ·
Oh wait, "World Leaders." Funny, I didn't see any "World Leaders." I saw Boris but he looks like he's leading the sleep corpse, as my boy Barry would pronounce Corps.

Roberta looks like she could be a bot. The Latvian Parliament? That's world leaders? Krikey, WTF is Western Civ coming to?

:oops::rolleyes:o_O:alien:

#10 · (Edited)
Oh wait, "World Leaders." Funny, I didn't see any "World Leaders." I saw Boris but he looks like he's leading the sleep corpse, as my boy Barry would pronounce Corps.

Roberta looks like she could be a bot. The Latvian Parliament? That's world leaders? Krikey, WTF is Western Civ coming to?

:oops::rolleyes:o_O:alien:
Yes Boris is totally worn out with jet lag, has taken 5 different holidays in the Caribbean in the last 2 months his constituents he is supposed to serve represent in Uxbridge have been wondering where Boris is, he serves them as an Uxbridge Tory MP have not seen him in Westminster/Uxbridge where he is paid to serve work, has not seen 2 months.

Sadly, Boris holidays has been back and forth to the Caribbean from the UK, his holidaymaking trips got ruined by a new Tory leadership campaign he had to fly back, soon quick stepped aside knowing he had less votes than Rishi the guy that wrecked the UK economy, hapless irresponsible Liz Truss found she had left nothing left in the UK kitty for doing huge tax cuts, she should have looked at UK PLC bank account first, Rishi ex Goldman Sach had spent it all covid loans to banks, British taxpayers ended another £65 billion worse off to our central bank the Bank of England who stepped in as nobody in the UK would have been left with a pension, Liz Truss seemed to think losing £65 billions was just a minor PM beginners little mistake, the who country disagreed.

Sometimes l think we are being run by total idiots at Westminster all parties in the UK are corrupt bent, l might be wrong. l totally hate politics like most British people. Westminster is great spending most of your hard-earned money in taxes on your behalf for you, can't speak for the US but you do support your car industry well in hard times, UK just sell it off to the highest foreign bidder. Rishi will get rewarded with lots of directorships on different banks once he is finished in politics in 2 years time, when its Leftie Labours turn to tax us more destroy the economy more, most are expecting more of the same tax and overspend our future generations disposable income to look good not, that are not born yet..

Boris will be doing jetting off to COP27 global warming jet setters jolly in Egypt next week to save the planet from global warming, with higher taxes on something once known as simply the weather in the past expected to increase massively. Al Gore was the first to notice taxing the weather is nice little earner, sorry what he meant said was London would be 20 feet underwater by 2015 if we did not change our way back in the late 90's.

#15 ·
I'm guessing the sarcasm escaped you.

Oldsmobile Stopped - I'm wondering how much research has been done on flatulence with all wild animals. After all, a huge number of them are herbivores. So we will have corks for volcano's, cows, and any other herbivores. Oh, we won't??? Then how will we get to our "the sky is falling" numbers??

#17 ·
Wow the negativity on this thread is unbelievable. If you've been to Europe you know that for most people an EV will work just fine and a large ICE engine in a large vehicle is very impractical. When I walk the streets of Utrecht or Gothenburg mostly what I see is small 3 or 4 cylinder vehicles and many of my colleagues do walk or take a train or tram to work. The car is for weekend trips or shopping after work. You now its going to be a transition over 20 years to get rid of ICE. No we won't hit the 1.5 C target. We will have to wait and see what the consequences are if any. But some of you need to be more open minded. I don't wann hear the "but the other side is cramming it down our throat" excuses. Yes they could comprise a bit too. But the digging in to one side or the other and hatting each other is getting old. No wonder this site is so dead compared to 5 or 10 years ago. The world is changing and always will be. Have an open mind. BEVs have lots of problems but someone has to go first, luxury car buyers mostly for now, and in ten years most of the problems will be solved. I have owned many V8s in my lifetime and V6s straight 6s and currently a turbo 4 and other vehicle a hybrid. They meet my needs and have same power as my V8 and V6 of 15 or 20 years ago. I assume my next purchase in 5 to 7 years or so will be a BEV. Maybe an Equinox BEV? Or if Ford comes out with something competitive to that. Mach E is a bit too pricey for me right now, but the tech will trickles down just like it always has. The day will come if you live long enough were the BEV offering will make much more sense than to keep driving your old ICE vehicle. 2030 something is probably about right. Until then buy your V8 pickups but keep an open mind won't you?

#23 ·
I try to keep an open mind. I really do.

This is not a political statement but alas everything is these days. My frustration is the free market not driving the change to electric. No one forced people out of the horse and buggy to the model T. GM and Ford are literally tripping over each other to out ‘green’ one another. Vehicles are bad for the environment no matter what powers them.

Yes, change is inevitable. However it saddens me to watch an industry that used to be about variety and character of vehicles. I mean, I appreciate silky smooth BMW straight sixes, high reviving VTEC 4 cylinders, the growl of an SBC V8 and the rush of torque from a Powerstroke Diesel. Vehicles with those variations in powertrain have characteristics that make them unique and I appreciate that. I love the sound, smell, vibration of an internal combustion engine. These days are coming to an end sooner rather than later due to the forcing of the hand.

Let the market decide. I will keep enjoying my small block V8’s as long as GM allows me the ability to purchase them. I can change too, ended up with a 1.5L Turbo 4 cylinder in the Terrain Denali too. Not a small block but gets good fuel economy and performs well for what it is.

#18 ·
You just don't get it.

#20 ·
lOOK, I'm just not here to hatt anyone. Except possibly that guy from Alice In Wonderland.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.