GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brands with the highest volumes to ethnic buyers (Source IHS via Autonews)

Nissan is the brand with the highest share of ethnic buyers in America at 36%, followed by Mitsubishi (35%), Toyota (33%) and Honda (31%) while Dodge is the only American brand in the Top 13 brands with the highest rate of ethnic buyers in 5th place with 30%. Could this partly explain the tremendous success of the Dodge Dart in Albuquerque? Notice the exceptional strength of premium marques such as Lexus, BMW both at 29% of ethnic buyers, Mercedes at 28%, Acura at 28% and Maserati at 27%.

According to IHS, new vehicle consumption among ethnic consumers, defined as African-American, Asian and Hispanic buyers, is up 8% year-on-year over the first 6 months of 2014 vs. 4% for the overall industry, with Hispanic consumption up an even more impressive 10%, in effect lifting the overall US car market up. Ethnic population growing faster than the national average, this is a very important trend in the U.S. new vehicle market as the share of ethnic buyers in the overall market is bound to become more and more prominent. The side-effect of this is manufacturers doing well with ethnic buyers have great chances to see their national market share outperform the market in the next decade. There should be a red flag here for the Detroit Big 3 as ethnic buyer patterns show a strong preference for foreign brands – albeit most of the cars they purchase still being made in the U.S.

Brands with the highest volumes to ethnic buyers (Source IHS via Autonews)

In terms of market share, Toyota holds almost 18% of the 1.6 million new vehicles ethnic consumers have bought over the first 6 months of 2014 vs. 12.2% share of the overall national market, followed by Honda at 12.2% vs. 8.1% and Nissan at 11.1% vs. 7.9%, Chevrolet at a timid 4th place with 8.6% share vs. 12.6% nationally, while Ford is at an even more unimpressive 8.4% share, that’s almost half the market share it has with the entire American population at 15%.

LINK

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Why would it be surprising that US ethnic groups have less allegiance to the "All-American Dream" than non-ethnic groups ?

Although I'm baffled by the definition of US ethnic group that doesn't include every group except Native Americans - ie why exclude the original settlers and subsequent waves of immigrants.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why would it be surprising that US ethnic groups have less allegiance to the "All-American Dream" than non-ethnic groups ?

Although I'm baffled by the definition of US ethnic group that doesn't include every group except Native Americans - ie why exclude the original settlers and subsequent waves of immigrants.
Americans don't live in wigwams anymore Rupert, the US has moved on progressed a bit.

Buffalo Bill used to drive a F-150 everyone knows that though, did you watch his show when he toured Europe.

I wonder what the Indians ride today Rupert, probably motor cycles?

I can see why Obama has gone all hot on immigration at the moment, wonder who they will vote for now in the future? (Obama has aged a lot since he become President, he is looking more like Uncle Remus every day who tells the the Brer Rabbit stories, he as only gotta grow a beard now). Still he saved GM, and millions auto workers jobs.

You are probably a Froggie Rupert, the UK used to be joined to France many moons ago before it broke away into what is now known as the English channel.

UKIP look like they are upsetting the political status quo in the UK at the moment, what do they stand for Rupert?

A great film well worth a watch a very funny movie, Burt Munro a true "Engineer" and racer thats rare.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Since every single Asian - no exceptions- buys an import (per my observation), they probably skewer the ethnic results somewhat. But at least not having an Asian component reduces the accident rates of domestic cars, and therefore presumably insurance premiums. Sometimes stereotypes are true people!

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Not surprising at all. I for one know that hispanics love their Japanese cars. You would be surprised how many Toyotas I see everyday, is like they have a damn monopoly on the car market. They kind of do, but only because everyone put them there. Driving a domestic is rare here, only Ford and Jeep are the exeptions and are not selling that much compared with Toyota.

Not surprised about the luxury brands either. The thinking is that if you can buy an Avalon then a bit more cash will buy you a Lexus, obviously the Lexus wins everytime. That said Lexus isn't the best seller, BMW and Mercedes are always fighting for the best selling lixury brand. And Cadillac still doesn't have a decent dealership:mad:.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts

Native Americans aren't included because they are the smallest population group by and by an order of magnitude

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Since every single Asian - no exceptions- buys an import (per my observation), they probably skewer the ethnic results somewhat. But at least not having an Asian component reduces the accident rates of domestic cars, and therefore presumably insurance premiums. Sometimes stereotypes are true people!
LOL. They aren't "accidents," they are cause-and-effect results of a combination of events that often includes incompetence of some sort.

Native Americans aren't included because they are the smallest population group by and order of magnitude
Wrong answer dslay.

American Indians are not included because they do not stage huge protests, threaten people with great bodily harm, and wield undue influence over corrupt for-sale legislators and other politicians, such as oh perhaps a POTUS.

Reactions: sfbreh

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
OK, folks, wait until we Neanderthals get our class action lawsuit fired up over the obvious snub here.
As a great general once said, "This **** must cease!"

Reactions: patrickbec

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, folks, wait until we Neanderthals get our class action lawsuit fired up over the obvious snub here.
As a great general once said, "This **** must cease!"
LOL Mexicans will blame Davy Crockett for not letting them into the country earlier in Texas, you have opened up the flood gates of Indian/Mexican claims, look what you have started now Rupert!!

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Me? It was the IHS's statistics that you quoted.
LOL It's very hard to say do say anything these days with all this political correctness without offending somebody, they are only a set of statistics, but you had go mention the Indians though didn't you Rupert?

You have got poor ole Neanderthal all fired up now, he is gonna get his tribe to take IHS to court now, they will be circling round the IHS office looking for scalps for omitting them.

You might have just started another Civil war Rupert, and you are sit on the other side of the pond tip tapping on your keyboards.

Still worse stranger things have happened Rupert, when Tony Blair gathered his British secret service intelligence on Iraq, the intelligence material he used to justify sending Britain/US to war was on the back of a young American graduate student Ibrahim al-Marashi students dossier, entitled Iraq's Security and Intelligence Network: A Guide and Analysis, Bliar used students study notes material that the young student was researching for towards obtaining his university degree.

The young graduate was sitting in Starbucks sipping coffee when he found out his student study project material was being used as a dossier by British Intelligence Secret Service to justify going into a war with Iraq.
LINK

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Still worse stranger things have happened Rupert, when Tony Blair gathered his British secret service intelligence on Iraq, the intelligence material he used to justify sending Britain/US to war was on the back of a British graduate student Ibrahim al-Marashi students dossier, entitled Iraq's Security and Intelligence Network: A Guide and Analysis, Bliar used study notes material that the young student was researching for his towards obtaining his university degree.
LINK
I think there was a guy in America doing something similar - GWB.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
This confuses me as to what they mean by Ethnics, and how they are separated. I really see foreigners/ethnicities of a European, and Asian decent buying and driving foreign cars thinking they are superior cars. However I see more Afro-Americans, and Hispanic/Latino-Americans driving in Chevys, Dodges, Caddys, GMCs, and Chryslers more or less the American dream cars. If they prefer to drive something foreign I see them in BMW's, and Mercedes' on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
To be worthy of being called a "study" it should break out by make and model.

For example, I note numerous members of the Neanderthal ethnicity driving Souls, black Chargers, and white 200 V6s.

What is one to make of all that?? Is it raysis to choose one car color over another? Should your friendly local neighborhood Neanderthal have chosen a Red Soul in order to better represent the American Indian?

Where oh where is The Shell Answer Man when we really need him?

In his 1976-82 heyday, the Answer Man was Ogilvy & Mather`s answer to corporate oil company advertising in an often difficult environment. Over the seven years, Houston-based Shell distributed more than 1 billion booklets, full of automotive tips, via magazine inserts, its gas stations and mail. So popular were the booklets that eight years after the Answer Man campaign ended, Shell still was getting requests for them.

Jim Hine, managing director of Ogilvy & Mather/Houston, says the earlier campaign ``certainly was the thing that took Shell from the middle of the pack among oil companies in 1976 to the front`` in the 1980s.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...0325_1_ogilvy-mather-booklets-mather-s-answer

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I'm half "white," a quarter Chinese, and a quarter Filipino, but if you see my signature I don't have much of a bias.

My mom is half Chinese and half Filipino...her first car was a Corolla and her experience was so bad she's been 100% domestic ever since...she's had a circa '87 Daytona, '91 Silhouette, '92 Cutlass Supreme, '98 Durango, the '05 Durango, and '07 Cobalt.

My half brother, who's more Filipino than I am, has owned mostly domestics...first car was an '81 Mustang. I know he's had an '87 Mustang conv, a brand new '93 Ranger, a '94 Bravada, a '99 Mustang GT conv, a 2004 F150...his current fleet is an '08 Toyota Sienna (said it was the best minivan available), an '08 Dodge Sprinter for work, and he just bought a new Wrangler Unlimited.

My dad is "white" and looooooves Hondas, including old Civics.

So go figure...I know there are stats that exist but my family has been all over the place

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
This confuses me as to what they mean by Ethnics, and how they are separated. I really see foreigners/ethnicities of a European, and Asian decent buying and driving foreign cars thinking they are superior cars. However I see more Afro-Americans, and Hispanic/Latino-Americans driving in Chevys, Dodges, Caddys, GMCs, and Chryslers more or less the American dream cars. If they prefer to drive something foreign I see them in BMW's, and Mercedes' on a regular basis.
Your comment actually hits on a good point about the miss use of the term ethnic in the US. ethnicity is a socially-defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience. However often it is used in the US to mean non white, not that I am blaming anyone for the IHS just pointing out this odd thing in US society. The reason being is the default ethnicity when you say American suddenly becomes white (when in reality there shouldn't be a default ethnicity in America). It is funny because those who were here already (and I am in big part native American) suddenly becomes less American then those who are decedents of Europeans within the last 500 years.

truth be told there are many different demographics, it isn't that every single Asian in America only buys Asian or European cars. Actually it isn't uncommon to see older Japanese Americans who grew up here buying Buicks and driving around in classic Mustangs. People are making the mistake of looking at local demographics and applying them nation wide. Certainly with much more recent Asian immigrants in my area I noticed that they tend to buy Asian, then European. It is kind of funny because Chinese Americans here will buy Japanese cars yet in China they want American cars over Japanese cars. This largely comes down to herd mentality, the 1980s and 1990s happened and a lot of people were burned buying American cars. So they stopped, then more people come here from Asian countries and are told not to buy American cars. In lower income Asian communities they tend to really only trust their own groups, so it becomes hard to impossible for an out sider to convince them otherwise.

Also American premium brands had really gone down hill, until now there really wasn't any American choices as you start to move up the luxury car segment. Now at least with Cadillac you have a solid compact luxury sedan competitor (ATS) and mid sized competitor (CTS). Hopefully by the end of next year you will have a competent full size short wheel base offering in the CT6. It is much easier to get groups that have been in America longer and who see themselves as being more part of the bigger group to get back into Cadillac then it will be for newer immigrants.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Your comment actually hits on a good point about the miss use of the term ethnic in the US. ethnicity is a socially-defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience. However often it is used in the US to mean non white, not that I am blaming anyone for the IHS just pointing out this odd thing in US society.
Thank you for that explanation - it explains why I was baffled by the use of the term - I apologize for the thread drift.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts

Asians (a lot of newer immigrants) and Hispanics repeatedly buy Toyota - cheap and reliable.

Asian-Americans with $$ buy Germans since the domestic have been stinking it up in the lux market until just recently.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts