GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For sh!ts and gigs I built an Escalade. A message popped up that the gas engines no longer have stop/start but I can option to have it with a $50 credit. This is odd. Anyone know what’s going on?

5372F47C-C4C6-4CB7-B71D-CEA94009B48F.png

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because We are fresh out of computer chips. Things will be back to normal at some point and the feature will return sadly.
Thanks that didn’t occur to me that they would remove features to push out models. Fuel economy is not likely a priority for Escalade buyers so makes sense

·
Registered
20,528 Posts
See chip shortage, not all bad!...............

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,348 Posts
GM trucks losing another fuel economy feature due to chip shortage | Fox Business

I wonder what this is doing to GM's corporate mpg average. Don't auto makes have to pay fines if the average falls below a threshold?
Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds And also this from Microsoft Bing:
How much fuel does a stop start system save?
It used 2.7 gallons with A/C on and stop-start off, and that shrank slightly to 2.6 gallons with stop-start up and running. That works out to a modest fuel savings of 2.9 percent, with fuel economy climbing from 30.0 to 30.9 mpg.
Negligible to somewhat decent is the benefit and yes, the automakers have to pay up if things fall below a certain level but I don't know what. This is why they seem to need these smaller more efficient things to offset all the gas hogs flying off the lots these days.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
QUICK. BUY IT!

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I've said it before, I don't really see the problem w/ S/S...I've actually gotten used to driving around it. For ex...if I'm at an intersection that I may have to split some sort of traffic, I just let off the brake momentarily to re-start the car then go back on the brake to sit stopped w/ the engine running in order to split oncoming traffic. The Buick is the only car I have w/ S/S but that feature is low on my list of complaints I have w/ it.

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds And also this from Microsoft Bing: Negligible to somewhat decent is the benefit and yes, the automakers have to pay up if things fall below a certain level but I don't know what. This is why they seem to need these smaller more efficient things to offset all the gas hogs flying off the lots these days.
Yes! I think these little things matter more to GM than most people. I'll take what little savings I can get, if the cylinder deactivation and start/stop cost me an extra $50 but saved me $100 in gas over the lifetime of the car, then I say it's better to have $50 in my pocket vs. someone else's.

So, once this chip thing is behind us, I wonder what they'll charge if someone wants the chip installed as I assume everything else is in place. I bet more than the $50 they are knocking off the price of the vehicle.

I'll take what I can get though. With working from home/no commute most of my driving is shorter, local trips. Over the winter with the heat, heated seats and heated steering wheel on I was averaging around 16 mpg's, I'm up to 18mpg's now that it is warmer. I assume I'd loose an mpg or two without stop/start and cylinder deactivation.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
17,749 Posts
A compassionate government would recognize this unique situation and offer a one time exemption to the automakers given the chip shortage and covid issues. Of course that will never happen.
I almost wrote that same comment. I agree, I think the requirement should be waived until this is behind us. Or, waive it but say the chips have to be installed within 3 years post crisis, though that'll cost someone (either GM or the consumer).

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Let's wait and see if S/S being missing on a few thousand units affects GMs CAFE rating to the point where they incur penalties before blaming gov't for not waving a fine that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
A compassionate government would recognize this unique situation and offer a one time exemption to the automakers given the chip shortage and covid issues. Of course that will never happen.
I would assume GM needed a compliance waiver from the EPA for selling a vehicle without an emissions component it is certified with
I also assume the "CAFE" ratings are on the "certified" configuration and would hope the waiver for the missing parts assumes the OLD ratings and CAFE is unaffected

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
If Ford did this, it would be a big PR hazard, I can't imagine they would let that slide. Imagine the headlines "America's Bestselling F-150 missing parts, now less fuel efficient"..etc...

I would certainly prefer to have it after living with it for years.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I really dislike this feature, but I assume it's because of my driving habits. I'm not a slow, leisurely driver. I'm always in a hurry to get everywhere. Every car I've driven with S/S bugs me. I'm quick from the brake to the gas pedal and this becomes very noticeable. Maybe if I owned a vehicle with it I could adapt, but that's to be seen.

Reactions: Ed753 and jzchev28

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,348 Posts
I really dislike this feature, but I assume it's because of my driving habits. I'm not a slow, leisurely driver. I'm always in a hurry to get everywhere. Every car I've driven with S/S bugs me. I'm quick from the brake to the gas pedal and this becomes very noticeable. Maybe if I owned a vehicle with it I could adapt, but that's to be seen.
I've noticed in my Equinox numerous times now that summer is here and AC, the thing will not shut off and then if it does it's ill advised timing(FWIW the system doesn't know what traffic is going to do lol) because I need to go so on the gas and it starts after just barely stopping(shutting off). Something else too, the the intellibeam headlights can be a real joke. It seems it can't see out far enough to know the brights can't come back on quite so soon but they do and then right back off again. I guess I'll have to check the manual to see if it's adjustable ;).

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The system in my '19 Nautilus (2.7T) and '21 F-150 (2.7T) is really good, the one in my Mom's '20 Escape (2.0T) is more annoying. The difference comes down to how quick it starts back up as soon as you twitch your foot off the brake. My Lincoln in particular is superb at starting up smoothly before I've even left the brake. The Escape is less responsive, needing you to remove all pressure on the brake before starting up. I also notice older systems on cars without automatic climate control can be more annoying, such as ignoring that the A/C is running, that hasn't been an issue with any of my cars with automatic climate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts