GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Escalade last ICE model standing as Cadillac, Buick go all-EV by 2030; GMC, Chevy to follow (msn.com)
Brandan Gillogly
August 1, 2022

Automotive News has reported on new details about GM’s timetable for electrification. While we’ve known that GM had an ambitious goal to roll out 30 electric vehicles by 2025, the current EV timetable suggests that, with the exception of the Escalade, Cadillac will have an all-EV lineup by 2026. By that point, according to AN, Cadillac will have an electric Escalade to sell alongside the current, ICE-powered model, which is planned to last through 2029. By 2030, Cadillac’s portfolio should be all-EV—no body-on-frame exceptions.

When we drove the raucous Escalade-V back in June, Cadillac had announced that it would be the brand’s final internal-combustion-powered vehicle debut. (Supercharged V-8 with 682-hp—hell of a way to go.) Based on the anticipated timeline, we’re due to get more Cadillac EVs to follow the Lyriq, its first battery-powered crossover, in short order.

Continues at link

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The REAL question is: Will they require us to subscribe to Onstar to own such luxury??

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
4,601 Posts

Germany's No1 energy supply is now coal that generates EV power. UK has hundreds of years of coal reserves doesn't touch it, how bad is that.

Personally nothing pleases me more than doing holiday trips somewhere on an steam train like Goathland on the North Yorkshire steam railway that's a full time working railway service, in other smaller part-time railways like North Norfolk's steam railway.

I personally think we should still embrace all types of technology let the market decide, when electric cars become more price friendly with fully solid state battery tech that will naturally beat older ICE car on price with batteries that last for 30 years rack up a million miles there will be a tipping point.

GM definitely needs to start by getting Cadillac EV's with high profit margins into every car market on the planet don't give up just stick at it breaking down protective barriers overseas markets put in place, there is now a level playing field out there with electric cars. Europeans certainly could not afford to run a v8 Caddy on $10 gas. When Cadillac make a success of EV's then push other gm Electric brands out globally everywhere.

Best of luck Caddy, hoping to see you make a success doing EV's, a golden opportunity to conquer the world exists now just ask Tesla, don't waste it.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
We roll solar from home and from a distance in Cali.

Like EVs, what happens in Cali eventually happens everywhere in the USA.

No coal plants in Cali.
California should look into WOOD fired electric generation.

If your forests are gonna burn down anyway ....

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Personally nothing pleases me more than doing holiday trips somewhere on an steam train like Goathland on the North Yorkshire steam railway that's a full time working railway service, in other smaller part-time railways like North Norfolk's steam railway.
Now THAT'S rolling coal BIG time!
I personally think we should still embrace all types of technology let the market decide, ....
To some extent. But if we just let the market decide, we'd still have lead in our gasoline (and water), sewage in our waterways, Lawn Darts, etc.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts

No coal plants in Cali.
CA imports from the Palo Verde nuke plant in AZ. LA DWP operates a coal plant in UT. So I guess the trend will be for using coal power plants as long as they are in another state: Not In My Own Back Yard.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The electric car is not there to save the planet but to save car manufacturers.

Replacing an internal combustion engine SUV with an electric SUV hoping to save the planet is like hoping to lower your cholesterol by replacing bacon with sausages and snubbing the bowl of fruit.

That being said I still look forward to receiving my Bolt EV. Here the electricity comes from renewable sources and an electric car will be more economical than a gasoline equivalent.

If my wife gets the job close to home I'll cancel the Bolt order and we'll go back to a one-car lifestyle and that car will probably be a plug-in hybrid.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,784 Posts
That being said I still look forward to receiving my Bolt EV.
How long have you had to wait since placing your Chevy Bolt EV order? My wife and I are planning to replace our 2015 Chevy Spark EV with a used Chevy Bolt next year.

Due to the battery fire recall fiasco, there are numerous new, untitled 2022 model year Bolts that have been sitting unsold for a year or more at U.S. dealerships (don't know if there's a similar situation in Canada). We may consider one of these over a used Bolt if dealers are willing to negotiate the purchase price down enough.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why have no spy shots shown up of the “larger than Lyriq” new crossover EV said to come next year for Cadillac?
Probably because GM is a lot better at keeping secrets than it used to be.

And, don't forget they've significantly cut down the time from drawing board to market, which means less camouflaged testing to allow for more spy shots.

Or totally something else :D

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

No coal plants in Cali.
Didn't I see a few articles awhile back about California's dirty little secret? That California simply moved their dirty energy suppliers out of state? And oil from the dirtiest producers in South America?

·
Registered
272 Posts
How long have you had to wait since placing your Chevy Bolt EV order? My wife and I are planning to replace our 2015 Chevy Spark EV with a used Chevy Bolt next year.

Due to the battery fire recall fiasco, there are numerous new, untitled 2022 model year Bolts that have been sitting unsold for a year or more at U.S. dealerships (don't know if there's a similar situation in Canada). We may consider one of these over a used Bolt if dealers are willing to negotiate the purchase price down enough.
I ordered my 2022 Bolt EV (will be a 2023) on December 14, 2021. I want it in Bright Blue Metallic with the optional wheels.

The Bolt should replace the 2009 Focus SEL (manual) that my wife uses. We've been happy with the Focus, but the Montreal winters have aged it. The car is starting to rust. In a milder climate we could have kept it for a few more years.

My wife travels 28 km (17 miles) a day to work. Gasoline here sells for around $2 Canadian per litre, which is about $5.90 per gallon.

Electricity sells for 0.06319 Canadian dollars per kWh, which for you Americans is 0.049 USD/kWh. Expensive gasoline and affordable electricity are the main reasons we are switching to electric cars.

I will continue to go to work on foot or by bike except on bad weather days. I drive a 2013 Grand Caravan for a trip of less than 2 km. The Grand Caravan is also used on long family trips. Nothing beats a minivan for convenience.

We are one of those people who prefer to invest their money in their houses rather than in cars. The house goes up in value while the cars go down.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

I personally think we should still embrace all types of technology let the market decide, when electric cars become more price friendly with fully solid state battery tech that will naturally beat older ICE car on price with batteries that last for 30 years rack up a million miles there will be a tipping point.

GM definitely needs to start by getting Cadillac EV's with high profit margins into every car market on the planet don't give up just stick at it breaking down protective barriers overseas markets put in place, there is now a level playing field out there with electric cars. Europeans certainly could not afford to run a v8 Caddy on $10 gas. When Cadillac make a success of EV's then push other gm Electric brands out globally everywhere.

Best of luck Caddy, hoping to see you make a success doing EV's, a golden opportunity to conquer the world exists now just ask Tesla, don't waste it.
Ah yes, the Almighty Non-Existent Free Market Myth. If the market was indeed "free", pollution would run rampant (more so than it does now) because no one would clean it unless they had to, and there would be no subsidies for the oil & gas industry and gasoline would be more expensive more often. We're like children: we aren't going to do something because it's the right thing to do, we'll only do it when we're forced to. Free market? What other options did the oil industry give us besides gasoline? None. The oil industry "forced" us to use their products instead of letting other energy sources compete on an even level.

I agree with diversifying our transportation fuel sources, but no one is forcing these manufacturers to make EV's, they've done this on their own as a response to Tesla, however undeserving Tesla may be. There's cost savings in them thar EV's for companies due to modular assembly, no EPA emissions to deal with and lower incidences of warranty work. And since the car will no longer be the end-polluter, now it all happens upstream - it's easier to clean a chimney than to clean 100,000 tailpipes, especially when mouth breathers take off the emissions equipment thinking they're getting mo'power even though our engines have never been this clean or made this much power, thanks in part to non-free market "pushing".

It's funny to think that after gutting the EPA that NOW conservatives are pretending to care about pollution but only if it is in relation to EV's or renewable energy? LOL that is so funny!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,784 Posts
What about hydrogen cars :D :D :D
That's something that GM engineers pioneered over 55 years ago, but as usual its marketing dweebs failed to cultivate and promote.

Maybe GM's hydrogen fuel cell powered generators that power trailer mounted BEV charging stations will be more successful commercially. Then again, maybe not. ;)

Reactions: BlackGTP
1 - 20 of 58 Posts