GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EQUINOX XTREME CONCEPT SHOWS WILD SIDE OF NEWEST CHEVY SUV ENTRY

In its production form, the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox is already a great-looking vehicle. The Equinox XTREME is a showcase for GM to develop and evaluate a wide range of parts and body kits that could allow owners to turn Equinox into one of the wildest street rides. Plus, it’s a great way to grab the attention of today’s youth enthusiasts.

Equinox XTREME’s bold statements begin under the hood, where the turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 engine resides. It features a Garrett turbocharger with Vortech liquid-to-air aftercooler and delivers 305 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 300 lbs.-ft. of torque at 4400 rpm. The 3.5L V-6 also features redesigned intake and exhaust ports on the cylinder heads for better air flow, resulting in improved fuel economy and lower emissions. The 3.5L is mated to a 5-speed automatic transmission.

“Bold” is also an apt description for Equinox XTREME’s exterior styling. It features custom ground effects package that features front and rear fascias with carbon fiber inserts, carbon fiber rocker panels and a custom, roof-mounted rear wing. These, combined with 20-inch wheels and a body that has been lowered three inches, create a vehicle with an aggressive, powerful stance.

Equinox XTREME also features custom headlamps and custom clear-lens taillamps with LED signals. Both the headlamps and the taillamps are accented with carbon fiber inner bezels. Carbon fiber is also found on the engine air inlets. Other Equinox XTREME exterior styling elements include a Sparco locking gas cap and fuel filler finished in brushed aluminum and body-color badging.

Inside, Equinox XTREME features Sparco Torino-2 front seats and a custom rear seat with modified foam in a sport appearance. The seats are finished in ebony leather with Uniroyal Naugahyde vinyl inserts that match the “Kipper Intense Yellow” exterior color. Also included is a Sparco Flash 5 steering wheel and Sparco Stripe cast aluminum foot pedals.

Entertainment is extremely important to today’s youth, and Equinox XTREME delivers with a Pioneer AVHP 7500 stereo system that produces 1000 watts of total continuous output. This entertainment system features DVD audio, CD and MP3 players, in addition to AM/FM bands and XM Satellite Radio. It also features a 7-inch touch screen and a 20-inch LDC monitor that is mounted to the rear storage tray.

Instead of taking Equinox XTREME to a drive-in theater, the vehicle is the theater!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Equinox XTREME?s bold statements begin under the hood, where the turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 engine resides. It features a Garrett turbocharger with Vortech liquid-to-air aftercooler and delivers 305 horsepower at 5600 rpm and 300 lbs.-ft. of torque at 4400 rpm. The 3.5L V-6 also features redesigned intake and exhaust ports on the cylinder heads for better air flow, resulting in improved fuel economy and lower emissions. The 3.5L is mated to a 5-speed automatic transmission.
Drooool......

But the real deal gets a China-sourced 3.4L? Life ain't fair... :(

Of course, an Equinox making more horses than a Bonneville GXP....now that would be something to amaze!

Thanks GMinsidenews and contributors! What a lineup of new eye-candy from GM!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
This reminds me of the difference between the real-life Aztek and that awesome twin-turbocharged show car Aztek that was posted a few weeks back.

·
Registered
315 Posts
This sounds very cool... I can't wait to see it. Maybe the 3.5 V-6 isn't too far away in the production Equinox (not turbocharged, of course).

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
This is the first one that repulsed me....well, aside from the Malibu's Pretty in Peach paint. :rolleyes:

What is that, an integrated bug shield on the hood? :lol:

Get rid of the lame wing, the black paint or plastic cues, and change the color to a GXP shadow black, and it would look much better.

·
Registered
315 Posts
:eek: Ouch... this thing is not pretty. I like the idea of the drivetrain and the spec sheet, but the appearance is..... aztekesque.

·
Registered
790 Posts
the idea is great, but these looks are not, although i dont really like the equinox's looks anyway. but still. wish it were nicer to look at. they this could be a cousin to the vue redline :lol:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Oct 28 2003, 10:12 PM

Ugly even for a ricer <_<
That doesn't look like the Equinox :blink:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fugly, Who chose the paint. Can you say "color blind"? Is it trying to be a Peugeot? The scary part is how many people would wait in line to buy a nasty looking thing like this. Maybe if it was silver or black? I don't know. After the other vehicles, this is a let down. Atleast the drivetrain sounds interesting, they should put it into the Aveo.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I like it ,just not the yellow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am surprised at the resentment towards this vehicle. As I said on the other thread the colors are not well represented in the photos. The black strip above the lamps are the upper half of the grill opening and the areas on the sides are intakes for the turbo. Again when we started the design work on these vehicles the goal was to try and do something different than the typical "ricer" . Alot of the typical body kits on the market are way over designed. We wanted to do something bold but simple. As I also said, I am an F-car and Corvette kind of guy, and I really don't get into the whole sport compact thing. But I did enjoy working on these projects, as a designer it is good to have a different challenge every once in a while. Also anything that reads as black plastic is actually exposed carbon fiber, another photographic deficiency. As I said before you can't please everyone. :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by BPSHADOW@Nov 11 2003, 09:38 PM
I am surprised at the resentment towards this vehicle. As I said on the other thread the colors are not well represented in the photos.
I saw some photos from SEMA and this car looks MUCH better. The resentment is directed towards what we see in the photo - washed out colors and minimal detail like the ability to distinguish carbon fiber from black plastic.

As stated above, though, what a disappointment that the production Equinox will be getting the old 3.4L engine instead of the new 3.5 (even naturally aspirated) in this one.

Now that we know the 3.5 will "fit" in there (with extra room for a turbo!), it leaves only one reason for GM to pop the 3.4 in. Cheapness. Cheapness that the Auto Press won't forgive or overlook.

Or perhaps GM decided to put the 3.5 in there after all....? :zippy:

·
Registered
685 Posts
It ought to fit, its a derivative of the 3400.(which I am sure most on this site know including the humble Ming himself :p )

I like the concept and, while some criticize the color or whatever, we also realize it is a "show" car. If I walked into a showroom and saw that in black(my fav.) or Gunmetal w/ Carbon fiber accents I would, well, I would molest it! :woot2:

One thing though, the Vue is getting the 3.5 from those who shall remain unspoken, so why an Equinox when you can get a Vue with more power? I am not speaking special model but base V6. I know we won't see the 3.6 in it but the 3500 would be better. As for special models, I don't care just as long as it is [email protected] :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
I realize you can only comment on what you see and the press photos are absolutely unflattering. There are a couple of things I would change if I could but they are minor. The tire size and ride height for one and the attitude of the rear winglet was a little too upright ( the bodycolor element on the rear bumper). But overall I am pretty pleased with the way the car turned out. Hopefully you will have an oppourtunity to see it in person at some of the upcoming autoshows. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts