GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
They could have had 18"s as an option 16" on the base. Nissan has no problem using 18"s

It is amazing how much better just as little as 1" extra of rim can look

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Originally posted by MarkSS@Dec 18 2003, 11:47 PM
The pricing on Equinox seems reasonable to me. It should do very well in the market. If any of Chevrolet's latest offerings is overpriced, I think it is the Colorado, especially the extended cab at over 26K for a fairly plain Z71. As to the "rumored" base price, I don't think that ever came from GM.
Here, here. I went to a Pontiac-GMC-Cadillac dealer in the area this past weekend and saw the Colorado's GMC brother, the Canyon. I almost had a stroke when I saw a plain-Jane model going for $27,000?! What on earth are the GMC folks thinking?! Perhaps the dealer should have placed the [much better equipped, better-looking] $31,000 GMC Sierra to the Canyon's right side further down the lineup of vehicles on the lot. The Canyon has some needed work done to it (a la the interior) to justify that price tag, IMO.

Initially, I thought the Equinox was overpriced, but considering the Colorado/Canyon duo, I'm starting to rethink my position...

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Here, here. I went to a Pontiac-GMC-Cadillac dealer in the area this past weekend and saw the Colorado's GMC brother, the Canyon. I almost had a stroke when I saw a plain-Jane model going for $27,000?!
This undoubtedly was not a plain model, but a Z-71 4x4 extended-cab, which is what every dealership and its mother ordered at the get-go, to the point that GM balked. Compare equipment, capability, and safety (e.g. side-curtain airbags), with the Tacoma and Frontier, and you'll see $30,000+ for similar trucks with less power, worse fuel economy, that, in the case of the Frontier, run on premium gas. Drive them all, and find out that the Colorado/Canyon drive far better. I don't know about the Canyon, but the Colorado even has a $1000 rebate.

Then compare a Z-71 Canyon/Colorado with an S-10 ZR2, and you'll find that they're only about $800 apart in their MSRP's, despite, again, their vast differences in equipment, capability, and safety. Then, again, throw in the fuel economy difference. The only difference is the rebates offered on the S-10 vs. the Colorado. Compare the MSRPs of the 2003 S-10 V-6/2x4/reg cab/automatic vs. the Colorado I-5/2x4/reg cab/automatic and they are within $100 of each other. The only difference is the rebates.

As it turns out, it's the import truck buyers that are initially seeing the value in the Colorado, while it's the domestic buyers that are saying that it's too expensive. Once again, GM's done its homework. Once the domestic guys shop around, I'm sure they'll see it too, or buy Rangers (until the 2800 4-cyl becomes widely available).

For those who see more value in the Sierra and Silverado, you certainly won't have to twist my arm to recommend one.

Hopefully one of the moderators can move this Colorado-related discussion to the "GM Trucks/discussion" forum, under "Colorado vs. Sierra."

Ghrankenstein

:frankie:

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I agree with everything you said above, the $27,000 Canyon was far from plain, I have seen plain ones from the $15,000 area. The local GMC dealership has a silver 3.5, regular cab, SLE for about $20,000. This one is fully loaded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Dec 18 2003, 09:17 PM
DETROIT - The all-new Chevrolet Equinox will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $21,560 when it arrives in Chevrolet dealerships starting in mid-March. The price, which includes the $565 dealer freight charge, puts the stylish V-6-powered Equinox squarely in the heart of the compact utility segment.

"We believe Equinox provides a perfect balance of style, comfort and SUV capabilities," said Brent Dewar, Chevrolet general manager. "A spacious interior, excellent ride and handling, and terrific looks will help Equinox set a new standard for compact sport utility vehicles."

Equinox is offered in LS and LT models. The MSRP for the LS model is $21,560, while the LT model carries an MSRP of $23,275. Prices include a $565 destination charge.

Equinox features a standard 3400 V-6 engine mated to an Aisin-Warner five-speed automatic transmission. The 185-horsepower engine features a broad torque curve for confident merging and passing, and the transmission has an adaptive learning capacity to ensure shift quality is maintained throughout the vehicle's service life.

The Equinox LS standard features include a split-folding sliding rear seat, 16-inch wheels, power windows, remote keyless entry and an AM/FM stereo with CD player. The LT offers additional standard features including cruise control, deep tinted glass, fog lamps, 16-inch cast aluminum wheels and a monochromatic exterior. Both models will be available with an on-demand all-wheel drive option.

The long 112-inch wheelbase and wide stance of Equinox help create a spacious interior and contribute to a controlled ride and confident handling.

A number of unique interior features enhance the vehicle's functionality. The Multi-Flex sliding rear seat travels 8 inches for up to 35 cubic feet of cargo capability or limousine-like legroom (nearly 43 inches) for rear-seat passengers. The rear cargo panel system provides multi-level storage, and does duty as a security cover and a tailgating table. In addition, the center console armrest provides concealed storage for smaller items, while the floor storage bin below accommodates larger items such as a backpack.

Equinox offers a great selection of optional equipment, including 17-inch cast aluminum wheels, side head-curtain air bags, leather seating, heated front seats, a six-way power driver's seat and a power sunroof. Also available is an AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, an in-dash six-disc CD player, and a seven-speaker premium sound system. Equinox will also offer OnStar and XM Satellite Radio (continental U.S. only).

Fuel economy is estimated at 19 mpg city/24 mpg highway for front-wheel drive and 18 mpg city/23 mpg highway with the all-wheel drive.
US dollars? Cause im in canada eh

21 - 26 of 26 Posts