GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - The all-new Chevrolet Equinox will have a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $21,560 when it arrives in Chevrolet dealerships starting in mid-March. The price, which includes the $565 dealer freight charge, puts the stylish V-6-powered Equinox squarely in the heart of the compact utility segment.

"We believe Equinox provides a perfect balance of style, comfort and SUV capabilities," said Brent Dewar, Chevrolet general manager. "A spacious interior, excellent ride and handling, and terrific looks will help Equinox set a new standard for compact sport utility vehicles."

Equinox is offered in LS and LT models. The MSRP for the LS model is $21,560, while the LT model carries an MSRP of $23,275. Prices include a $565 destination charge.

Equinox features a standard 3400 V-6 engine mated to an Aisin-Warner five-speed automatic transmission. The 185-horsepower engine features a broad torque curve for confident merging and passing, and the transmission has an adaptive learning capacity to ensure shift quality is maintained throughout the vehicle's service life.

The Equinox LS standard features include a split-folding sliding rear seat, 16-inch wheels, power windows, remote keyless entry and an AM/FM stereo with CD player. The LT offers additional standard features including cruise control, deep tinted glass, fog lamps, 16-inch cast aluminum wheels and a monochromatic exterior. Both models will be available with an on-demand all-wheel drive option.

The long 112-inch wheelbase and wide stance of Equinox help create a spacious interior and contribute to a controlled ride and confident handling.

A number of unique interior features enhance the vehicle's functionality. The Multi-Flex sliding rear seat travels 8 inches for up to 35 cubic feet of cargo capability or limousine-like legroom (nearly 43 inches) for rear-seat passengers. The rear cargo panel system provides multi-level storage, and does duty as a security cover and a tailgating table. In addition, the center console armrest provides concealed storage for smaller items, while the floor storage bin below accommodates larger items such as a backpack.

Equinox offers a great selection of optional equipment, including 17-inch cast aluminum wheels, side head-curtain air bags, leather seating, heated front seats, a six-way power driver's seat and a power sunroof. Also available is an AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback, an in-dash six-disc CD player, and a seven-speaker premium sound system. Equinox will also offer OnStar and XM Satellite Radio (continental U.S. only).

Fuel economy is estimated at 19 mpg city/24 mpg highway for front-wheel drive and 18 mpg city/23 mpg highway with the all-wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Too expensive and too far from the rumpored $18.500 base price. Especially with the "venerable" 3.4L V6 at a HEARTPOUNDING 180HP <_<

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Too expensive and too far from the rumpored $18.500 base price. Especially with the "venerable" 3.4L V6 at a HEARTPOUNDING 180HP 
You're absolutely right TaHoe. A $23,000 Equinox LT with 185 hp makes a $23,000 Tracker ZR2 (165 hp) or $31,000 Blazer ZR2 (2-door, 190 hp) seem almost cheap by comparison.

<_<

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
315 Posts
The pricing on Equinox seems reasonable to me. It should do very well in the market. If any of Chevrolet's latest offerings is overpriced, I think it is the Colorado, especially the extended cab at over 26K for a fairly plain Z71. As to the "rumored" base price, I don't think that ever came from GM.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the pricing is all that bad... I got a brochure on it today, and the LT interior is VERY nice for $23K..

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think that the price is right about where it should be. Our 2wd v6 escape stickered for 23k in 2002. It is relatively basic (pwr windows/locks/mirrors, cd changer). The only thing that would keep me out of the Equinox is the motor. That 3.4L is WAY underpowered and underrefined to go upagainst the 3.0 Duratec. I'm typically not a Ford guy, but that Duratec has some balls and pushed that Escape around with no prob. I just think that since GM is coming to the table late, they should at least come big. And whats up with Saturn buying Honda motors? GM can't supply their own motors anymore?

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Equinox looks ok and the price is right... just wish it had the new 3.5. Even better for GM... give it the 3.9 D.O.D. V6 then label the Equinox a truck to help on the gas mileage quotas... just a though.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Any recent GM pricing has to be take into account the inevitable $3,000 rebate that they will slap on the hood soon. So it really did make the $18,500 target!

Anyone know why the Equinox comes with the 3.4L V6 and not the "new" 3.5L v6? The 3.5L can't be any more expensive to produce.

Interesting that the transmission is non-GM. The trend seems to be that more transmissions are being made by suppliers and not the car company.

Mark

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
wait a year or and just maybe the ol 3.4 will B put out 2 pasture.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@Dec 18 2003, 10:18 PM
Any recent GM pricing has to be take into account the inevitable $3,000 rebate that they will slap on the hood soon. So it really did make the $18,500 target!

Anyone know why the Equinox comes with the 3.4L V6 and not the "new" 3.5L v6? The 3.5L can't be any more expensive to produce.

Interesting that the transmission is non-GM. The trend seems to be that more transmissions are being made by suppliers and not the car company.

Mark
It will not have the 3.5 unfortunately. It will come with the 3.4L V6, and it won't be sold with rebates right after its introduced. Honestly, I don't think it needs them (if it were a LITTLE cheaper, by $1000-$2000) But it will sell well, it has everything (cept for the engine and transmission)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
THe one at the auto show had 18" rims, glad to see GM pull the old bate and switch and give it 16" rims, What is GMs obsession with damn 16" rims :angry:

·
Registered
248 Posts
GM has been using 16" since the Ice Age; why should we expect any different now? I really don't see a big difference between 18" and 16".

·
Registered
954 Posts
Originally posted by Z28x@Dec 21 2003, 07:43 AM
THe one at the auto show had 18" rims, glad to see GM pull the old bate and switch and give it 16" rims, What is GMs obsession with damn 16" rims :angry:
Lower profile tires absorb less impact from a pot-hole for example than a larger tire on a 16" rim. Also imagine the costs and bitching that would come from drivers when they crack their nice 18" rims on a curb or something. 18s are nice, but unfortunately most people don't want them or need them, so we end up getting the shaft <_<

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by Z28x@Dec 21 2003, 02:43 PM
Atleast they did'nt put on those damn S-10 15in rims like they did to the Colorado and Canyon!

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Ever go to buy replacement tires in 18"? Damn expensive.
16" makes more sense for the average guy.

The guy that really cares about wheel looks is going to go aftermarket anyway.

Besides for a 4x4, isn't taller and skinnier better?

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I think that the $18,000 rumor price is for the HHR, which I can see, the Equinox is well priced at $21K. The base Escape V6, which looks smaller than the Equinox, is about $20,990, the Santa Fe with the V6 is $21,589. So the Equinox is in the right range. Plus, it looks much better than the other 2, in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not an engineer, but how about the I-5 that's in the Colorado and Canyon? The I-5 has more horsepower and torque, and is in a more refined, compact package. Horsepower isn't everything, but the Escape and Liberty have a step-up on the Equinox.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Though the Vortec 3500 would be nice, I dont think that it will work in a transverse design like the Equinox, which shares it's platform with the Vue. I would like to see at least the 3500 V6 from the Malibu, with 200hp. Maybe an Equinox SS, with a supercharged 3500 making about 250hp?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts