·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NHTSA 26-04
Monday, June 7, 2004 Contact: Rae Tyson
Telephone: (202) 366-9550

Latest Crash Tests, Rollover Ratings Available on SaferCar.gov
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today released crash test results for the last 2004 vehicles and some early 2005 vehicles. The agency also released additional rollover ratings for 2004 vehicles.

All results, including previously tested model year 2004 vehicles, are available at the agency’s web site: www.safercar.gov.

The 2004 Toyota Solara Coupe and the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox 4x4 are the only vehicles in the latest batch to earn the top rating of five stars for frontal and side impact crash tests. NHTSA’s consumer information program uses a one- to five-star ranking system that reflects a vehicle’s ability to protect the driver and passenger in a crash.

Here's the whole thing:

That Crazy Whole Thing

Good times.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
By the way, I saw a dark-blue Equinox today. It is one hot SUV. Congrats, Chevrolet. You are an American Revolution, alright!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Jun 8 2004, 11:34 PM
By the way, I saw a dark-blue Equinox today. It is one hot SUV. Congrats, Chevrolet. You are an American Revolution, alright!
I drove past the dealer and there were two LT's; one red one blue, there, and they were both hot, but then red one was so cool looking. The used black Corvette looked less apealing :-x. :ninja:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Originally posted by surferdude00711+Jun 9 2004, 12:30 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (surferdude00711 @ Jun 9 2004, 12:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gmwsag@Jun 8 2004, 11:34 PM
I drove past the dealer and there were two LT's; one red one blue, there, and they were both hot, but then red one was so cool looking. The used black Corvette looked less apealing :-x. :ninja: [/b][/quote]
I agree: the Equinox is a VERY SHARP machine. It looks way bigger & tougher than it really is. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket figures out to do with it.

Now if GM would just give it something a bit more . . . special . . . in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ENGINE TO NEW EQUINOX IS MADE IN CHINA,TRANS IN JAPAN AND BUILT IN CANADA IN ISUZU PLANT :kama:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by LJUBISA@Jun 9 2004, 03:23 AM
ENGINE TO NEW EQUINOX IS MADE IN CHINA,TRANS IN JAPAN AND BUILT IN CANADA IN ISUZU PLANT :kama:
thank you for that spurt of knowlage.

back to the awards. Wow, awesome news for the Nox! I think that if I was in the market for a new cute ute, the Nox gets my cash.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by LJUBISA@Jun 9 2004, 03:23 AM
Its a Suzuki plant, btw
Last Isuzu plant was a joint venture in west layfette IN, but they sold their stake to Subaru.

·
Registered
524 Posts
This report must be wrong! Only Fords and Volvos are safe. GM must have payed the testers off!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The Equinox continues GM's policy of late with putting a nice looking exterior on a decent, robust chassis but cobbling it with an old motor and cheapish interior materials. Lots of hard plastic in the dash, terrible cloth seat material and cheap, low buck door panals. The engine is an easy fix that I think GM will address within the next 2 years but the cheap interior syndrome is here to stay I fear!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by ponchoman49@Jun 9 2004, 06:24 PM
The Equinox continues GM's policy of late with putting a nice looking exterior on a decent, robust chassis but cobbling it with an old motor and cheapish interior materials. Lots of hard plastic in the dash, terrible cloth seat material and cheap, low buck door panals. The engine is an easy fix that I think GM will address within the next 2 years but the cheap interior syndrome is here to stay I fear!
Have you sat in a Nox? Much better when what it is up agaisnt, and its engine power is 2nd in its class, behind the Vue. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by ponchoman49@Jun 9 2004, 01:24 PM
The Equinox continues GM's policy of late with putting a nice looking exterior on a decent, robust chassis but cobbling it with an old motor and cheapish interior materials. Lots of hard plastic in the dash, terrible cloth seat material and cheap, low buck door panals.
I agree the materials don't seem to be the best, but I think they surpass the VUE's and at least look better than a Blazer's dated interior design.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I think the LS can just about get away with it but a more expensive LT should have some more luxury touches in the interior like a little padding in the door panals, step-up materials in the seats and a standard leather wrapped wheel or something. I did indeed sit in several Equinox models(LS and LT) and really like the vehicle overall. But I was very hard pressed to tell the difference in LS and LT models from the inside. I have driven a couple of Vue's with the 3.5 engine and can tell you it is a gem. Doubt that GM's old hoary 3400 can even touch it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well, I recently had occasion to shop for this type of vehicle, for my girlfriend. We drove everything but everything in the small FWD SUV market, which is a ton of vehicles. You name it--Honda, Toyota, Kia, Ford, Saturn- we tried them all. The Equinox's interior is nicer than any of those, and was better put together than any of those as well. The amount of power given by the 3.4 is excellent, better than the 4-cyl competition, better than the duratec even. It's not going to win any races, but it moves ok. My biggest gripe about it? The seats are rock hard. The Vue's new Honda V-6 was about as good though. Not as torquey on the low end but lots more power there if you need to crank it up. Not quite as smooth though.

Curiously enough, we drove an Aztek just on a whim, and that's what we both liked the best. It was cheaper than anything else because of all the deals, but was way way way bigger on the inside. It also rode quieter and smoother. A little slower, because the 3.4 has a little more bulk to move, but not too noticeably. You guys should drive more cars. I don't know what you're comparing interiors to, but if GM's interiors suck, then you must think the competitions looks like pure azz.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Awesome! :D

I can't wait to get one...next year unfortunately

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The Equinox is so good, and this is another reason to want one. Too bad GM sabotaged it for me by giving it the old version of the engine. Chevy didn't want to aim too high, I guess.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I hope and pray Chevy drops the 3.5 liter motor in there, and maybe makes a hotter version with the 3.9 liter.

Give that Honda engine back and bring on the 3.9 with VVT and DoD.......and a five speed auto please!

.....Oh yeah, and how about the Fusion Orange color?? That would ROCK!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts