GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the new Equinox EV appears to be very similar to the the Bolt EUV.

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Therefore, I believe that GM may have started with the Bolt EUV architecture, and then updated it for Ultium components.

I believe the wheelbase for the new Equinox will be similar to that of the EUV. However, the front and rear overhangs seem longer, thus yielding an overall length that is greater than the EUV.

The 200 hp motor in the EUV will be replaced by GM's 180 kW (240 hp) Ultium FWD motor.

Ultium Motors

To keep costs low, the base model will likely have only the 3-module 50 kWh battery pack. This configuration is still claimed by GM to provide 300 miles of range.

IEEE Article

As expected, the base model will probably have cloth seats with manual adjustment and a reasonable complement of accessories (power windows, power door locks, base infotainment, etc.).

The RS model will likely add AWD. The 62 kW Ultium motor (83 hp) will be used to drive the rear wheels. To give the added power, a fourth battery module will be added for a total of 67 kW. This model will have more amenities included and more options available, like leather interior, power seats, sunroof, super cruise, dynamic drive, etc. This AWD model has 320 kW of available power from the two motors. It will probably be less efficient than the base model and the motor and added battery module will add about 400 lbs, I estimate.

This table provides a comparison of the data that I have estimated.

Font Pattern Parallel Number Slope

I have included specs for the Equinox ICE and Bolt EUV below.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,679 Posts
Could be, I'd see the logic in GM doing that, however, I don't see anything to make me definitively say yes or no as there are many unrelated vehicles on the road, yet their specifications are similar. Though I'll be interested in what more knowledgeable folks on GMI have to say.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The whole point of Ultium for GM is reaching economies of scale so it’s as affordable for them to produce as an ICE vehicle. That means building as many models on the platform as possible. It wouldn’t make any sense for GM to not make this on Ultium since it would be cheaper than modifying an existing BEV2 platform.

Also, GM still hasn’t released dimensions of the new Equinox yet but I see Chevy wanting to avoid alienating any more customers than it has to by going smaller on top of going EV.
Yes, the wheelbase of both the current Equinox and Bolt EUV are within a couple of inches of each other (107 to 105), but the Equinox is over 10 inches longer in overall length making it a much larger vehicle and the current BEV2 platform may not support a larger vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow when you can make it a outstandinf vehicle, class leading competing with much more expensive vehicles .... gm is working hard to dumb it down.... slow, cheap interior, small batery pack, short range, high price.... really working hard for poeple to nit-pick the vehicle to a piece of crap.... that everyone will make fun at a halfass job... normal gm

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,686 Posts
Wow when you can make it a outstandinf vehicle, class leading competing with much more expensive vehicles .... gm is working hard to dumb it down.... slow, cheap interior, small batery pack, short range, high price.... really working hard for poeple to nit-pick the vehicle to a piece of crap.... that everyone will make fun at a halfass job... normal gm
So you've seen and driven the Equinox EV?
Where are the pics and review?
How much real world range did you get?

·
Premium Member
36,087 Posts
Highly unlikely the two are related in architecture given they are two different generations of battery tech. The relation is that they come from the same design organization.

The Equinox showed here is pure CGI

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
It's probably best to conceptualize Ultium as an "architecture" with shared motors, batteries, electrical systems; rather than shared chassis which typically encompases a more rigid set of engineering hard points and dimensions. To say Ultium is one "Platform" for all is overly simplistic and inaccurate.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I don't think they are going to be too similar. The Equinox EV looks/sounds like it will be a true compact SUV, size of a Tucson, maybe a tad smaller than a current Equinox but close. Take a look at a Bolt EUV in person, it really isn't a SUV. It is kinda roomy inside for what it is...but it really is truly a compact hatchback with a little extra height.

Even if the Equinox EV is a bit smaller than the current Equinox, I expect it to still be much larger than the Bolt EUV. The Bolt is really small.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I don't think they are going to be too similar. The Equinox EV looks/sounds like it will be a true compact SUV, size of a Tucson, maybe a tad smaller than a current Equinox but close. Take a look at a Bolt EUV in person, it really isn't a SUV. It is kinda roomy inside for what it is...but it really is truly a compact hatchback with a little extra height.

Even if the Equinox EV is a bit smaller than the current Equinox, I expect it to still be much larger than the Bolt EUV. The Bolt is really small.
interior dimensions will still match the current gen Equinox while being a bit smaller on the outside more than likely. Dont forget the passenger space in the regular Bolt was higher than the Cruze when it came out.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ultium vehicles are on the BEV3 (car) and BT1 (truck) platforms. I doubt the have anything in common with the Bolt's BEV2 platform.

A 50kW battery would have 6 modules. The 100kW Lyriq has a 12 module pack and the truck 200kW pack is 24 modules.

BEV2
View attachment 65251
BEV3
View attachment 65252
Yes, the BEV2 platform is similar to that of the Sonic/Trax (the Sonic is built on the same line), whereas the BEV3 is completely new. I'm also guessing that the "Future Equinox" talked about in the spy shots elsewhere (can't post the link since it's a "competitor" GM website that claims to be the authority - wink, wink) on the web is NOT the new Equinox but most likely a foreign market SUV related to the Trailblazer and replacing the Trax (the doors don't match the Equinox EV renderings, there is an obvious exhaust system, etc.) and BEV3 has independent suspension all around.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
GM has to have a handle on supply issue when this goes into production. I wonder which ones going to be the better buy between this and the Blazer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is this a hint at the Equinox EV powertrain?

Ultium Motors

"Tim Grewe, GM’s head of global electrification strategy, talked about the electric motors and software controls that will be part of the Ultium platform".

"Grewe also hinted at a future mainstream Chevy crossover that will have the 180 kW motor in front, together with an on-demand 62 kW traction motor in back".

·
Premium Member
36,087 Posts
Is this a hint at the Equinox EV powertrain?

Ultium Motors

"Tim Grewe, GM’s head of global electrification strategy, talked about the electric motors and software controls that will be part of the Ultium platform".

"Grewe also hinted at a future mainstream Chevy crossover that will have the 180 kW motor in front, together with an on-demand 62 kW traction motor in back".
Why can they not just put the main drive motor in the rear? Yikes!
GM has to have a handle on supply issue when this goes into production. I wonder which ones going to be the better buy between this and the Blazer.
Are there microprocessor plants going up in the United States?
we need an administration that will truly de-couple the supply chain and bring it back this way.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Why can they not just put the main drive motor in the rear? Yikes!

Are there microprocessor plants going up in the United States?
we need an administration that will truly de-couple the supply chain and bring it back this way.
Allegedly, yes, they're moving production here. If only a certain party didn't give tax breaks to companies that outsourced jobs.......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts