GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of the car rags, they had a very very CTS looking Saab designed Epsilon Caddy sedan. A lot sharper then teh CTS, but still very Caddy. They said this was for European eyes only. It looked good. They said it was gunna be AWD on all models. No FWD option. Its AWD or nothing... which brings me to the idea of a AWD Cobalt or Ion. This could lead to Saturns entry into perhaps Rally racing? I know they have made concepts. We have supercharged 2.0, which would be great for autocross. This could appeal to the young kids that are imported oriented. Subbie and Saturn, 2 GM teams winning WRC over and over. Its possible.
Anyway, I am gunna start bringing my digi cam to Boarders with me to snap shots of the spy shots.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Mar 12 2004, 06:08 PM
Anyway, I am gunna start bringing my digi cam to Boarders with me to snap shots of the spy shots.
You could always BUY the magazine and take it home.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Rex Raider+Mar 12 2004, 10:30 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rex Raider @ Mar 12 2004, 10:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Mar 12 2004, 06:08 PM
You could always BUY the magazine and take it home. [/b][/quote]
for one picture about a car I will never drive? :blink:
Im gunna need more of a reason to buy the mag then some mini-caddy sold in europe.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Hey, I want that. I mean, I guess I'm glad that GM wants to keep Cadillac upscale in North America and avoid less expensive little cars like that, but it sure looks purrty. :blink:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Wow! The A&S theme works on a Pontiac G6!

But I hope that if they do an Epsilon (i.e., FWD in its heart of hearts) car for Cadillac, they carefully study Jaguar's utter failure with the X-type (FWD in its heart of hearts) The X-type, despite looking more like a Jaguar than either of its two bigger more expensive brothers, has bombed in the marketplace because it just doesn't come across as a real Jag. But Jaguar's image is so solid that the X-type will not hurt it.

I think the X-type's failure is largely due to the fact that everyone knows the X-type's AWD feature is a kluge job to overcome the car's FWD roots. An Epsilon will face the same problem.

Cadillac, with its new image still fresh and a little unsettled, had better be damned careful about moving down-market. The wrong car, rather than looking like the mistaken aberation from the Jaguar brand that the X-type has proven, will wind up doing permanent damage to Cadillac's still congealing new brand image.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
A little more research, and let me make another point: The Pontiac G6, an Epsilon, and the Cadillac CTS are within one inch lengthwise, and 200 lbs weight-wise.

Epsilon, it appears, is way too close to make a junior model from.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Too bad they aren't selling it here. That car would be at the top of my list next time if it started around $26K I understand Caddy wants to move upscale, but having something in the A4/TSX/3/C size for the U.S. market makes sense to me. I understand the CTS competes there on price, but it's bigger.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by jmiller417@Mar 13 2004, 03:11 AM
Too bad they aren't selling it here. That car would be at the top of my list next time if it started around $26K I understand Caddy wants to move upscale, but having something in the A4/TSX/3/C size for the U.S. market makes sense to me. I understand the CTS competes there on price, but it's bigger.
If you want something along thoes lines, the other divisions will satisfy you. Whats good about having so many divisions is you can have many divisions attacking 1 company.
Want something with great quality from caddy, but in a 2dr coupe that seats 4 with a lot of power? You have the GTO.
You want a larger CTS with the same luxury items, but a little softer ride, you can get a buick.
etc etc...

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Well, at least that eliminates the argument of whether or not GM "can" add AWD to the Pontiac G6, as promised in the G6 concept.

Now let's see them deliver!

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want a compact, sporty FWD epsilon, we'll still have the SAAB 9-3 in the US.

That takes care of the $25k-$30k bracket pretty well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i mentioned this in another thread, but when i went to the CAIS and spoke with one of the participating cadillac dealers, he told me of a delta-based caddy coming soon. perhaps he was confusing epsilon and delta? anyway, he said to keep an eye out around june/july/august.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Epsilon...Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6, Saab 9-3, & this Caddy thingy. If this Epsilon Caddy is true, then why would the General skip over a Buick variant? They've already gone ahead with pretty much filling up (the Lambda chassis, the Trailblazer/Rainier chassis, and of course the Epsilon chassis) with a variant from just about every branch of GM, why not an Epsilon Buick? I'm thinking Skylark...with AWD (GM's got $3 billion set aside for Buick...I truly believe that these would sell.) and a powerful V-6 (240hp [or more, maybe with forced induction of some sort] 3.6 DOHC from the LaCrosse?), it could be Buick's IS300 fighter. Remember, Buick's going up against Lexus and to do so successfully would mean to surpass them. Just a thought.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The 9-3 is one of my possibilities next time around, but I prefer the Cadillac's A&S styling. Cadillac has more distinctive styling than Saab; what a bizarre turn of events!

Not to mention the added benefit of Cadillac's accepting GM card dollars.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by jmiller417@Mar 14 2004, 06:31 AM
The 9-3 is one of my possibilities next time around, but I prefer the Cadillac's A&S styling.
I highly recomend the Saab 9-3, I have an early production Linear with the Launch package. It has the 17in 5 spoke wheels with P-Zeros. One of the best looking cars on the road, turns the heads of the; I bought a BMW and Audi because the Jones's had one, crowd.
As for the Art and Science my sister has a 2003 CTS, and even though it is very nice, it doesn't have a leg to stand on or a window to throw it out of in the looks department with the 9-3.

Would like a little more power though, I hope the V6 turbo that will be in the SportWagon 93 makes it into the Sedan. I can see the speeding tickets now :woot2:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do like the new GM-Saabs better then the older saabs. I dont know if thats from GM's help, or just evolution of Saab.
I do like the 9-3 vert. Sounds like a fun ride too. I like that 2dr look. And hey, if you want more power, there is always tweeking!! It is an ecotec GM block... im sure there is power to be found! little waste gate here, little BOV there, boost controler here. :D But hey, more power stock is never shuned... at least not by me.
Anyone think that an AWD 9-3 could be on its way? Maybe the 9-2x is Saabs first step into AWD, and since cars like the Audi and BMW are going to AWD set ups, AWD could attract some newwer, sportier buyers? And a turbo 3.6 would make a nice engine. A good, 300+hp engine... mmm 350 easy... 350hp, awd, 6spd, Saab... Welcome to The State of Independence. :afro:
and a Buick version would be cool, but I think they should stick with the LaCrosse/Allure as the low end model.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I recall hearing a while back that Saab is getting a version of the 3.6 that is in the CTS . I thought they said the Saab version would be 2.8L or 2.9L.
Yeah i know the Ecotec is a good block to work with, heck the colbalt has like 20 versions of it. I am sure Saab tuners will pick up with the 9-2 since the WRX has a ton of products for it.

But if they want to make me happy an Epsilon 9-3 Viggen will be just fine.

P.S. Does anyone have any official pictures of the 97x that GM will let you show that arn't embargoed?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts