GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,109 Posts
All I know is the Merkurs are innocent!!

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
We have different "Like" Emojis now. When did this start?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
But, that land would be there with or without you. If you are like me, you have a chainsaw, lawnmower and a bunch of other lawn equipment that spews a lot of pollution (I believe lawn equipment puts out a lot more pollution than a car). My point isn't to put down rural folks, especially being that I'm one of them, but rather to point out that we in fact do put out a lot more pollution on a person for person basis than any city person does.

And I'm one to talk, if there is a piece of lawn equipment with an engine on it, I have it. I use sprays to keep my landscape looking good and fertilize my yard. And my car isn't exactly fuel efficient. I'm doing all that while a city dweller has an apartment 1/3 the size of my house, no car and certainly no lawn equipment.
My position is that I preserve, protect and pay to keep my 34 rural acres pristine. Should I sell it to a citiot that then subdivides it, cuts down hundreds of trees, builds a dozen or more houses which in turn uses all that clean water while adding multiple septic systems to the environment making a certain negative impact on the planet. There's no guarantee the land would remain the same if I didn't own it.

I converted all my lawn equipment to Lithium-Ion years ago except my riding mower. They all work surprisingly well.

Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
My position is that I preserve, protect and pay to keep my 34 rural acres pristine. Should I sell it to a citiot that then subdivides it, cuts down hundreds of trees, builds a dozen or more houses which in turn uses all that clean water while adding multiple septic systems to the environment making a certain negative impact on the planet. There's no guarantee the land would remain the same if I didn't own it.

I converted all my lawn equipment to Lithium-Ion years ago except my riding mower. They all work surprisingly well.
No worries :D

I've gotten a battery handheld leaf blower to keep my driveway/deck/walkways clean and a battery hedge trimmer - love them. But I still have gas for my lawnmowers and walk behind leaf blower for the big stuff. But as soon as they come up with a battery lawnmower with a 33 inch deck, you can sign me up! Same for a leaf blower. I'm waiting for my normal sized gas lawn mower to die so I can replace it with a battery one (my big lawn mower can't fit everywhere I need to cut grass).

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
They're usually hypermiling the thing and impeding traffic.
From my observation 90% of drivers don't keep right and impede traffic, especially if they're from Connecticut. So it's not unique to team Prius.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts

Keeping rural acres "pristine" would be to leave it alone. I used to live on some acreage for 20 some years, about 30 miles from work. It took me a lot of polluting power equipment to maintain it as I wanted it. I've been back to that area recently, and nobody built a subdivision there.

I've now moved back to the suburbs, 7 miles from work, and much closer to where my children and grandchildren live. My driving needs are greatly reduced. My yard maintenance "needs" are greatly reduced. My connected sewer system needs less land to "pollute" than my former septic system needed. I no longer need that big lawn tractor, but I'm still using my 35 year old Toro push mower. Other than that, I have replaced all my prior power equipment to battery power, other than that mower. I too am waiting for it to die. I've got my eye on a couple of electric mowers that I might get one of when that time comes. I've also seen some battery electric tractors and zero turn mowers available at Home depot (and others) but I'm no longer in the market for that.

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
Keeping rural acres "pristine" would be to leave it alone. I used to live on some acreage for 20 some years, about 30 miles from work. It took me a lot of polluting power equipment to maintain it as I wanted it. I've been back to that area recently, and nobody built a subdivision there.

I've now moved back to the suburbs, 7 miles from work, and much closer to where my children and grandchildren live. My driving needs are greatly reduced. My yard maintenance "needs" are greatly reduced. My connected sewer system needs less land to "pollute" than my former septic system needed. I no longer need that big lawn tractor, but I'm still using my 35 year old Toro push mower. Other than that, I have replaced all my prior power equipment to battery power, other than that mower. I too am waiting for it to die. I've got my eye on a couple of electric mowers that I might get one of when that time comes. I've also seen some battery electric tractors and zero turn mowers available at Home depot (and others) but I'm no longer in the market for that.
I am so touched by all the 'non polluting' lifestyle changes ;):)

I suspect the wife forced the move though...

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
I am so touched by all the 'non polluting' lifestyle changes ;):)

I suspect the wife forced the move though...
Realistically, I didn't do any of these "non polluting" changes out of any desire to actually BE non polluting. They were changes that I wanted for my own convenience. Shorter commute - shorter drive for pretty much any destination. And all of those gas-engine power tools were just not the best choice anymore. When the time came to replace this or that power tool, battery power was the better choice. The fact that a rural life is more polluting than a city life wasn't really why I moved.

Oh yeah, the wife never really appreciated the "outlands". But I (as a car-type person) gotta agree on her disdain for dirt roads.

The irony is in moving closer to work to shorten commuting times, and now we both have been working from home for the past year.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
From my observation 90% of drivers don't keep right and impede traffic, especially if they're from Connecticut. So it's not unique to team Prius.
Not this Connecticut driver :D

What irks me the most is the back roads. People need to pull over when they are poking along and have a long line of cars behind them. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, Connecticut has many roads that were originally wagon trails dating back 300+ years. In other words, narrow and curvy - not safe to pass people. I pull over if I'm poking for a particular reason.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
NY drivers - aholes
NJ drivers - horrifically unskilled to the point they can't be trusted to handle gasoline
CT drivers - right lane is just there for appearances

·
Premium Member
34,361 Posts
Most US drivers just don’t pay attention to what they are doing on the freeways, some will block and impede traffic deliberately, I see it all the time, driving next to another vehicle on a two lane freeway, and not passing to give way to traffic accumulating behind them. It’s really mind blowing why they leave their houses with that attitude.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Most US drivers just don’t pay attention to what they are doing on the freeways, some will block and impede traffic deliberately, I see it all the time, driving next to another vehicle on a two lane freeway, and not passing to give way to traffic accumulating behind them. It’s really mind blowing why they leave their houses with that attitude.
Sadly, that mentality isn't restricted to roads. Bothers me even more in stores when people just stop and block the aisle or leave their cart blocking everyone.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
Sadly, that mentality isn't restricted to roads. Bothers me even more in stores when people just stop and block the aisle or leave their cart blocking everyone.
Sorry, I apologize. That's my wife doing that in stores. I've tried explaining it to her, but it's just no use.

Yet out on the roads, she's the biggest complainer about those "morons who don't know how to drive".

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,637 Posts
True. I hate that and also all piling up to BS/ get it together just inside the doorway. For crap sakes disperse and get out of the way people.

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
True. I hate that and also all piling up to BS/ get it together just inside the doorway. For crap sakes disperse and get out of the way people.
The worst I saw was a guy who got off an escalator, and then just stood there looking around. A whole line of people behind him coming down the escalator, trapped. And yet HE was angry at them for pushing him out of the way.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,637 Posts
The worst I saw was a guy who got off an escalator, and then just stood there looking around. A whole line of people behind him coming down the escalator, trapped. And yet HE was angry at them for pushing him out of the way.
At least it didn't end up like a funniest videos clip, and all the people on top of the idiot in a pile as the escalator slowly unloaded its cargo. :D

41 - 60 of 65 Posts