GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
The shop that RamJet mentioned that got hit by an undercover, was probably modifying diesel trucks to spew **** all over the damn road that's why they got hit up.
Of course they were, but that's what people want. I'm no different; I've got illegally dark window tint and off road long tube headers with deleted cats on my 2001 Silverado. I shut off the dynamic fuel management and stop/start on my 2021 Silverado. I also occasionally J-walk. It's not necessary the government's business what we do with our personal vehicles.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Of course they were, but that's what people want. I'm no different; I've got illegally dark window tint and off road long tube headers with deleted cats on my 2001 Silverado. I shut off the dynamic fuel management and stop/start on my 2021 Silverado. I also occasionally J-walk. It's not necessary the government's business what we do with our personal vehicles.
It's not what most people want, it's what a few people want. And it is the government's business if you're on public roads or polluting public air. That's the point. Their roads, their rules. Their air, their rules.

And by "their" I mean the elected officials that we voted into office. If you don't like the laws, changes them of suffer the consequences of your actions. When too many people start breaking the laws, the government is forced to do something like this. Nobody likes loud exhausts, overly blinding lights, and sooty exhausts except for the few people that put them on their vehicles. They're basically a public nuisance and disturb everybody else. And some people enjoy breathing clean air. Imagine that.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Blasphemy!

Seriously, we're not all from big polluted metropolitan areas. I live in a rural area of Western Colorado with bright blue skies. For the EPA to come here and fine people is inconceivable.
No, but the air moves around. Everyone contributes to air pollution no matter where they live. It might dissipate to unmeasurable, but the pollutants are still in the air. Yes, cities concentrate the pollution, but I bet each city person pollutes less than either of us rural people do with our bigger houses, yards, lawn mowers, more driving needed, etc.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
It's not what most people want, it's what a few people want. And it is the government's business if you're on public roads or polluting public air. That's the point. Their roads, their rules. Their air, their rules.

And by "their" I mean the elected officials that we voted into office. If you don't like the laws, changes them of suffer the consequences of your actions. When too many people start breaking the laws, the government is forced to do something like this. Nobody likes loud exhausts, overly blinding lights, and sooty exhausts except for the few people that put them on their vehicles. They're basically a public nuisance and disturb everybody else. And some people enjoy breathing clean air. Imagine that.
Thank you!!!! All that black **** coming out of these modified trucks is just a big FU to everybody else. How much a performance gain you get by modifying your truck to spew smoke into the air EVERY GODDAMN TIME YOU PRESS THE ACCELERATOR? You want to modify your car/truck, sure, but at the very least make sure you can still pass smog w/ the mods in place. That's all I'm asking for, I don't want the classic parts market shut down (likely that it isn't already, its just a rallying cry) because a few dumbasses want "freedom".

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
But the people who do that kind of thing just to be obnoxious?

I'm a performance car guy, I can appreciate modifications.

But there's one guy in my neighborhood ....

I was out mowing my lawn (that's kinda loud, I guess). But I hear a hellaciously loud car blasting down the road. I look up, and all I see is this relatively new Mustang just barely making any headway, pulling away from a nearby intersection. WTF? All that noise for THAT? Just to be a jerk. I'd love to find out where he parks it and sneak over and crimp down his tailpipes so it'll just make a wimpy squeal when he jumps on it. Well, that's my fantasy.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Blasphemy!

Seriously, we're not all from big polluted metropolitan areas. I live in a rural area of Western Colorado with bright blue skies. For the EPA to come here and fine people is inconceivable.
If you like it so much, why don't you just pump the exhaust through your cab? Then you can enjoy it more and let the rest of us drive in peace.

But you're right, it's not the random people in rural America that are causing most of the problems. It's all the people in the cities that do the same things in large numbers. I see loud diesels with an exhaust tip large enough to hold a basketball (no joke), spewing black soot from the stop light nearly every week. Same thing with the lowered compacts and the fart can exhaust. Or the street bike with race pipes cruising around in a low gear. It's pretty annoying. Maybe I'm getting old?

·
Registered
4,898 Posts

I was out mowing my lawn (that's kinda loud, I guess). But I hear a hellaciously loud car blasting down the road. I look up, and all I see is this relatively new Mustang just barely making any headway, pulling away from a nearby intersection. WTF? All that noise for THAT? Just to be a jerk. I'd love to find out where he parks it and sneak over and crimp down his tailpipes so it'll just make a wimpy squeal when he jumps on it. Well, that's my fantasy.
The guy in the Mustang is doing that **** on purpose...he's holding gears to make the most noise possible.

I'm going to make this admission...a little while back I swapped out my Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust on my Dodge out for an SLP Loudmouth exhaust...so I might be that guy, I don't think it's all that loud when putting about but at WOT...ever hear of "Wake the neighbors loud" well mine is "Wake the dead loud"...but then again, I'm not that ******* cold starting my damn near straight piped car at 6am and warming it up in the driveway for 10 mins before powering off to work. It's mostly a Saturday afternoon/Sunday evening car. But I can still pass emissions if we tested.

If you like it so much, why don't you just pump the exhaust through your cab? Then you can enjoy it more and let the rest of us drive in peace.

But you're right, it's not the random people in rural America that are causing most of the problems. It's all the people in the cities that do the same things in large numbers. I see loud diesels with an exhaust tip large enough to hold a basketball (no joke), spewing black soot from the stop light nearly every week. Same thing with the lowered compacts and the fart can exhaust. Or the street bike with race pipes cruising around in a low gear. It's pretty annoying. Maybe I'm getting old?
yeah you're old

·
Registered
18,144 Posts

I think of it differently - while cities create a lot of pollution, I bet on a per person basis they generate a lot less pollution than us rural people do with our big houses to heat and cool, lawnmowers, snow blowers, longer commutes and generally more driving in our individual cars. Yes, there are less rural people, but what we do adds up and it's just that much worse when the rules aren't observed. Yes, any one person flouting the rules isn't a big deal, but then multiply that by all the people who decide it's ok for them to break the rules.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I think of it differently - while cities create a lot of pollution, I bet on a per person basis they generate a lot less pollution than us rural people do with our big houses to heat and cool, lawnmowers, snow blowers, longer commutes and generally more driving in our individual cars. Yes, there are less rural people, but what we do adds up and it's just that much worse when the rules aren't observed. Yes, any one person flouting the rules isn't a big deal, but then multiply that by all the people who decide it's ok for them to break the rules.
I don't disagree but... us rural folks own land with trees and clean water. I steward 34 acres with thousands of trees, 3 ponds and multiple clear water springs that literally bubble out of the ground. My land CONTRIBUTES more clean air and water than my personal carbon footprint will ever use and I (begrudgedly) pay taxes accordingly. I give more than I take. No one in the city can say such.

Reactions: 09W and BlackGTP

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
I don't disagree but... us rural folks own land with trees and clean water. I steward 34 acres with thousands of trees, 3 ponds and multiple clear water springs that literally bubble out of the ground. My land CONTRIBUTES more clean air and water than my personal carbon footprint will ever use and I (begrudgedly) pay taxes accordingly. I give more than I take. No one in the city can say such.
But, that land would be there with or without you. If you are like me, you have a chainsaw, lawnmower and a bunch of other lawn equipment that spews a lot of pollution (I believe lawn equipment puts out a lot more pollution than a car). My point isn't to put down rural folks, especially being that I'm one of them, but rather to point out that we in fact do put out a lot more pollution on a person for person basis than any city person does.

And I'm one to talk, if there is a piece of lawn equipment with an engine on it, I have it. I use sprays to keep my landscape looking good and fertilize my yard. And my car isn't exactly fuel efficient. I'm doing all that while a city dweller has an apartment 1/3 the size of my house, no car and certainly no lawn equipment.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I work in the automotive aftermarket, so people modifying their cars is our lifeblood. What screws it up for everyone else, is the people who openly flaunt their breaking of the laws. Don't be a dumbass and blow a huge sooty smoke cloud out of your diesel truck because you think its fun. Thats just plain stupid and gives everyone else a bad name.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,637 Posts

Back in years gone by I hear they used to prank people by sticking a potato up the exhaust pipe :D

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Back in years gone by I hear they used to prank people by sticking a potato up the exhaust pipe :D
"I'm not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe!"

Name that movie!

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
The guy in the Mustang is doing that **** on purpose...he's holding gears to make the most noise possible.

I'm going to make this admission...a little while back I swapped out my Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust on my Dodge out for an SLP Loudmouth exhaust...so I might be that guy, I don't think it's all that loud when putting about but at WOT...ever hear of "Wake the neighbors loud" well mine is "Wake the dead loud"...but then again, I'm not that *** cold starting my damn near straight piped car at 6am and warming it up in the driveway for 10 mins before powering off to work. It's mostly a Saturday afternoon/Sunday evening car. But I can still pass emissions if we tested.

yeah you're old
I not old, I just appreciate my quiet time when I can get it. I have three kids at home, so that's only when I drive to/from work.

I too don't mind "modest" upgrades most of the time. A deep exhaust note sounds great on a V8. Just don't go WOT driving through my neighborhood because you see a couple of girls walking down the street. Nobody needs straight pipes on a daily driver. And whatever mod they do to compact cars to make them sound like fart cans needs to immediately result in the vehicle being crushed. No Honda Civic should sound like that and be heard from a mile away. And I love the sound of a turbo or supercharger on a truck, just tune it properly so that I can't smell it!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Well, it is the governments business and has been for a long time, because we as a people decided we don't want polluted air and groundwater.

And as it is often put, your rights end right where mine begin.

Now to change course before you castigate me as whatever 4 letter word is a synonym for a liberal these days, as an owner of a pair of LS's, one that manages 11mpg with 454 cubes, no cats and a yuuuuge cam I will say I fully blame the EPA crackdown on the diesel guys going all in with retarded roll coal tunes and then somehow thinking its cool to spew carcinogenic soot on bikers, Priuii, or protesters and throwing it up on youtube for hahas. LSx guys doing it on the down low for 20 years weren't bothering anyone.

Reactions: sdotjeezy

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't know... rolling coal onto a Prius is a darned good time.
Ok, and you're one of the tools ruining it for the rest of us.

TF did the Prius ever do to you anyway?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts