GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,660 Posts
It seems that as usual a handful of overzealous cohorts within the EPA are set to ruin things for everybody with their ill-advised ways. Although, there may be some using this to try and bypass regulations to de-smog a vehicle and then not use it for competition, I feel that they would be in the very small minority of folks.

·
Premium Member
34,383 Posts
It seems that as usual a handful of overzealous cohorts within the EPA are set to ruin things for everybody with their ill-advised ways. Although, there may be some using this to try and bypass regulations to de-smog a vehicle and then not use it for competition, I feel that they would be in the very small minority of folks.
What is most infuriating is the millions of families that depend on the industry will suddenly be without livelihoods.

People better pay attention to whom they vote for.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,660 Posts
What is most infuriating is the millions of families that depend on the industry will suddenly be without livelihoods.

That's why the saying is there and this shows as an example: "Elections Have Consequences". The same applies to whomever is in power though, and one usually worse ;) than the other. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
One of the diesel tech guys I know got a $25K fine from the EPA for deleting exhausts, he got stung by an undercover guy with a sweet customized Ram. As a result all of the shops where I'm from won't even talk about deleting unless they personally know you. He said their shop went from performance tuning to basic maintenance, much less profit.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,753 Posts
For members in the U.S.: If you haven't done so, please contact your representative and ask him or her to sponsor or co-sponsor H.R. 3281, also known as the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act (RPM Act). My representative, Trent Kelly of Mississippi's 1st district, sponsored it just a few weeks ago.

Link: Action Center (votervoice.net)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
One of the diesel tech guys I know got a $25K fine from the EPA for deleting exhausts, he got stung by an undercover guy with a sweet customized Ram. As a result all of the shops where I'm from won't even talk about deleting unless they personally know you. He said their shop went from performance tuning to basic maintenance, much less profit.
What Florida Representative Matt Gaetz said in 2017 when he introduced a bill to abolish the federal Environmental Protection Agency is as true as ever:

Representative Gaetz said:
"The Environmental Protection Agency has gone too far. Its unelected bureaucrats have become the 4th branch of government, writing rules and regulations that hurt businesses and infringe on states' rights.

It's time to abolish the EPA and allow state and local governments to enforce their own policies.

The EPA has been doing some drastic things. They have exceeded their original mission substantially under both Republican and Democratic presidents and violated the sovereignty of the states. I think we need to start fresh."

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Hahahahaha...somebody must've rolled coal on the wrong Prius. I promise you that's how this all started.

·
Registered
18,183 Posts

Is it the politicians fault or are they just reacting to unscrupulous vendors/garages selling and installing this stuff when they know it isn't going to be used on a racetrack? I do feel bad for the honest guys and the one's who actually race, but I suspect there are a lot of people running this stuff on public roads and they are the one's to blame.

However, should you want to sway your local politician, I suggest you point out how much tax revenue they collect from such illegal sales. To me, drawing an analogy from the cigarette/pot industry, it appears politicians will do anything if they think they can collect more revenue. For example, they pummeled the cigarette industry when they felt comfortable they could collect a lot of fines and greatly increase taxes all in the name of health, yet they are gladly legalizing marijuana sales to collect tax dollars and votes even though there are many known health/mental problems associated with it.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Well, if you think about it, how many people actually legally race they cars vs use them as daily drivers? 99.9% of aftermarket performance enhancers are probably put onto street vehicles. That's who the EPA is trying to restrict. If people wouldn't abuse the laws, then this wouldn't be an issue. It's like the situation with aftermarket lights "for off-road use only" that people put on their daily drivers and blind everybody.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Well, if you think about it, how many people actually legally race they cars vs use them as daily drivers?
A lot of people. I've been doing HPDE with BMW CCA for seven years, and met scores of folks including several HPDE instructors who legally race their cars at venues such as Summit Point Motorsports Park and Memphis International Raceway among others.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Coming at this from the other side of the issue is; 1 long-time drag strip in my state (Englishtown) shut down/tore up the strip 2 years ago, and there's rumors another here is contemplating the same. If off-road venues close down, some of the race vehicles are naturally going to pop back up on the street.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Well, if you think about it, how many people actually legally race they cars vs use them as daily drivers? 99.9% of aftermarket performance enhancers are probably put onto street vehicles. That's who the EPA is trying to restrict. If people wouldn't abuse the laws, then this wouldn't be an issue. It's like the situation with aftermarket lights "for off-road use only" that people put on their daily drivers and blind everybody.
Its the *******s out there spewing soot all over the damn place that's ruining it for everyone else. These EPA rules being enforced now have been in place for a while, all the politicians are doing now is trying to scrounge up support from wherever they can by starting a new "culture war"....now big gubmint is tryin to take their loud mufflers freedom.

The shop that RamJet mentioned that got hit by an undercover, was probably modifying diesel trucks to spew **** all over the damn road that's why they got hit up.

·
Premium Member
34,383 Posts
Is it the politicians fault or are they just reacting to unscrupulous vendors/garages selling and installing this stuff when they know it isn't going to be used on a racetrack? I do feel bad for the honest guys and the one's who actually race, but I suspect there are a lot of people running this stuff on public roads and they are the one's to blame.

However, should you want to sway your local politician, I suggest you point out how much tax revenue they collect from such illegal sales. To me, drawing an analogy from the cigarette/pot industry, it appears politicians will do anything if they think they can collect more revenue. For example, they pummeled the cigarette industry when they felt comfortable they could collect a lot of fines and greatly increase taxes all in the name of health, yet they are gladly legalizing marijuana sales to collect tax dollars and votes even though there are many known health/mental problems associated with it.
You wait until those marijuana class action lawsuits start

1 - 20 of 65 Posts