GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In lew of the 2008 Beijing auto show in China, Autoblog and other publications have shown the "striking" vehicles and their similar looks to Concept of production vehicles coming out form the Euro, JDM, or NA markets.

Here are some examples of "design sharing" accoring to Chinese designers at the Beijing 08' show

HonQi V12 luxury SUV concept ( I see the Mitsu Outlander, Peugeot 407 Crossover, Porsche Cayanne, and some Rolls Royce-classy)

Guangzhou Honda "Linian" (Toyota RSC from a couple of years ago and of course a rip off of Ford Kinetic Design mainly the new Fiesta, Kuga, and even some Saturn Vue/ Antara!!!!)

No Comment
-Please post an other recent copy cats from China that scream another design language or car

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Oh come on! There is a difference between outright copying a complete car (see Great Wall), and getting "inspired" by what is in vogue ATM. The VE features a Hofmeister Kink, which is a typical BMW feature, the new Insignia has a "Bangle butt", the ubiquitous "Pontiac Solstice" steering wheel looks suspiciously like Mazda's...

The problem is now that those vehicles are ugly, and still hopeless underneath - but as long as they don't follow the Great Wall path, I wouldn't give them a bad rap as knock-offs, as they are not such.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I agree with Bravada... these aren't outright copies likve we've seen previously. The fact that you see several cars design themes in each one tells me that thay aren't exact copies of any one car... in the past some Chinese cars appeared to be EXACTLY identical to others. They're getting better and more creative.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
China is just following a well trodden path. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Proton, Tata, all have gone this way.. Its an Asian way of life, copy copy copy

1990 Lexus LS 400 & a 1990 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class
Those two cars look nothing alike, not even their door handles. Sometimes I wonder if you are on drugs when you make these kinds of comparisons.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both big luxury cars.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In lew of the 2008 Beijing auto show in China, Autoblog and other publications have shown the "striking" vehicles and their similar looks to Concept of production vehicles coming out form the Euro, JDM, or NA markets.

Here are some examples of "design sharing" accoring to Chinese designers at the Beijing 08' show

HonQi V12 luxury SUV concept ( I see the Mitsu Outlander, Peugeot 407 Crossover, Porsche Cayanne, and some Rolls Royce-classy)

Guangzhou Honda "Linian" (Toyota RSC from a couple of years ago and of course a rip off of Ford Kinetic Design mainly the new Fiesta, Kuga, and even some Saturn Vue/ Antara!!!!)

No Comment
-Please post an other recent copy cats from China that scream another design language or car
The last one is only a chip not something real

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If you think those are bad, then check here:

http://creativeadvertisingworld.com/bmw-7-vs-byd-f6/

Now, that is called a 'Copy', or 'Blatent knockoff' whichever you want to call it. What you posted above isn't as bad. Most if not all car makers sort of do that for the design cues, and I would say, Chinese are definately improving. Only thing they now have to perfect are the safety issues if they ever want to export their cars outside of China.

·
Premium Member
36,083 Posts
Those two cars look nothing alike, not even their door handles. Sometimes I wonder if you are on drugs when you make these kinds of comparisons.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both big luxury cars.
Oh come on! There is a difference between outright copying a complete car (see Great Wall), and getting "inspired" by what is in vogue ATM. The VE features a Hofmeister Kink, which is a typical BMW feature, the new Insignia has a "Bangle butt", the ubiquitous "Pontiac Solstice" steering wheel looks suspiciously like Mazda's...

The problem is now that those vehicles are ugly, and still hopeless underneath - but as long as they don't follow the Great Wall path, I wouldn't give them a bad rap as knock-offs, as they are not such.
The only drug I ever touched was coffee
Look carefully at these two cars, it may be subtle, but, the first LS made you think of Benz.
Look at the rims, headlights, lower body cladding, the lower front bumper parts , wind screen area execution, hoodlines...

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Asian carmakers have rarely been trendsetters in automotive design and have been pioneers in very few technical areas, other than gadgets and doo-dads.

Nearly every pioneering design over the past century has come from Europe. I can name a dozen famous European car stylists: Aldo Sessano, Giorgio Giugiaro, Battista Pinin Farina, Marcello Gandini, Nuccio Bertone, and even quite a few famous Americans: Harley Earl, Howard Darrin, Wayne Cherry, Henry Haga, Raymond Loewy, Tom Tjaarda, Larry Shinoda... yet I can't name a single Japanese or Korean car stylist.

Europeans lead on the technical front too. They've either invented, or introduced into mass production the disc brake, monocoque construction, all-steel car bodies, independent front AND rear suspension, hypoid axles, transaxles, the CV joint, OHC engines, the Diesel engine, the Rotary engine, rack-and-pinion steering...

The Japanese gave us... synthesised voice boxes and remote-control fuel flap openers.

The Koreans have given the world little more than budget prices and strange styling.

While I don't think the Japanese ripoff other's styling, there's a strong argument that they've pioneered little.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Asian carmakers have rarely been trendsetters in automotive design and have been pioneers in very few technical areas, other than gadgets and doo-dads.

Nearly every pioneering design over the past century has come from Europe. I can name a dozen famous European car stylists: Aldo Sessano, Giorgio Giugiaro, Battista Pinin Farina, Marcello Gandini, Nuccio Bertone... yet I can't name a single Japanese or Korean car stylist.

Europeans lead on the technical front too. They've either invented, or introduced into mass production the disc brake, monocoque construction, all-steel car bodies, independent front AND rear suspension, hypoid axles, transaxles, the CV joint, OHC engines, the Diesel engine, the Rotary engine, rack-and-pinion steering...

The Japanese gave us... synthesised voice boxes and remote-control fuel flap openers.

The Koreans have given the world little more than budget prices and strange styling.
was audi the 1st to make the aluminum frame?

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
was audi the 1st to make the aluminum frame?
No the Honda NSX was.

Score: Japan=1, Europe=538.

Next attempt?

If you can't discern the difference between the Japanese have contributed little to automotive design and the Japanese have contributed nothing to automotive design, ....

It was obvious that I in no way excluded the Japanese entirely.

·
Premium Member
36,083 Posts
The Mercedes ML came out in 1998.

The Toyota Harrier came out in December 1997.

Do you just think and say whatever?
The Mercedes-Benz M-Class is a mid-size SUV with light off-road capability, first offered in 1997 as a 1998 model, and built by the German automaker Mercedes-Benz. It marked a shift at Mercedes-Benz in becoming a global player; while it had plants outside Germany before, they merely built German models. Gradually, the M-Class became a sales success in the United States. In size, it is slotted below the GL-Class
Wiki

(1998-2003)

In February 1997, Lexus debuted the Lexus Sport Luxury Vehicle Concept (SLV), a prototype crossover SUV, at the Chicago Auto Show.[2] This concept, which appeared close to production, combined the characteristics of an SUV, wagon, and sedan.[3] In Japan, the SLV concept appeared in first-generation Harrier form (codename SXU10 and MCU10 for the front wheel drive models, and SXU15 and MCU15 for the four wheel drive models) in December 1997. Two engines were available, the 2.2 L 5S-FE I4 which produced 139 hp (104 kW) JIS (102 kW) and 191 Nm (140 ft·lbf), and the 3.0 L 1MZ-FE V6 which produced 219 hp (163 kW) JIS (161 kW) and 304 Nm (224 ft·lbf). Both engines could be specified with either front or all wheel drive. All models came with an automatic transmission as standard. The vehicle was partly based on the Camry platform.
Wiki

Misleading, Until you see this

1995 Mercedes VRC concept--
I rest my case​

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.