GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen people "rebuild" their engines with kits over and over again, people drop new motors in, and have Joe the mechanic install it and give a 1 year warranty. Some use the "core", some don't and go for a 75% built remanufactured engine and trade in their old one.

What way would you go and why?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Funny you should ask that. AS my engine blew last Sunday night.

Without the luxury of time and money, I had to act relatively quickly. (I was on vacation, far away from home). Money is also tight right now.

I opted to buy a rebuilt/salvage engine. I paid $750CDN ($565US) for the complete engine (not including labor).

I had it installed at the Nissan dealership that my dad works at. The mechanic was a former GM employee. I got discounted service rates there.

If the car was worth less money than the new engine, I would have scrapped the whole car. If the car was worth much more, then I might have opted for a NEW engine.

Here's a picture of the installation. Warning, it's quite graphic.
(All the white stuff is just road dirt / grime / salt).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had to go w/the rebuild kit in my garage. There is just something about putting the sweat into the job yourself that makes it a little more satisfying when you first hear her crank over again. Of course, if I didn't know anything about cars, I'd probably just cry until my rich daddy bought me a new one...oh, wait, I don't have any rich relatives, guess it's a good thing I am a decent mechanic. BTW Pringle, I noticed that I won't be helping dad the next time YOUR car goes to crap. ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
AWW man you killed the Jimmy! Those 4.3 are freakin beasts how'd you do that?!
Atleast there are a ton of those engines around.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Jimmy died. I didn't kill him.
There's only 110,000km on it (a 1995).
Apparently a cooling hose burst, and 3 seconds later the car died. Nothing could be done.

And in Montreal, those engines are much harder to find than one might think. But i don't think I got ripped off.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Feb 4 2004, 08:42 PM
Jimmy died. I didn't kill him.
There's only 110,000km on it (a 1995).
Apparently a cooling hose burst, and 3 seconds later the car died. Nothing could be done.

And in Montreal, those engines are much harder to find than one might think. But i don't think I got ripped off.
That, and it's a 95 with the older Vortec style.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have seen Vortec 5.7's go for $750 at the bone yard. Ooops, that would be extra work.(sounds like extra fun too!)

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Having gone through a couple of rebuilds and working with a buddy who swapped his 69 Camaro small block, I would opt to go with a factory rebuilt motor and have a local shop do the work.
Having a local shop do the rebuild entails more risk because you don't know the guy. Yeah, the local mechanics will change brakes and CV boots and you see them regularly. But with a rebuild, you are hunting for somebody special. You can go to a speed shop and find a higher priced builder and you can also find a local mechanic to do the work. But how confident are you regarding your choice?
With a factory (crate) motor, the plant not only builds one for you but thousands of others. So, they done a bunch of the motor you want. And they are up to date regarding any small improvements that have come down the OEM trail. And they give a warranty backed up by their size. My friend bought a GM small block and it went into his Camaro with no problems.
Once you get the motor, your odds for a successful completion is greater since the mechanic only needs to install it.
One thing that I found out the hard way is that once you walk into the guy's shop and look around; if it's messy, walk out with a polite "good by". I went to a guy that was supposed to do good work but ended up with 1/2 dozen trips back and having to go through every bolt to ensure that it wouldn't fall off. The vehicle then caught fire and was mercifully put to sleep.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just order one from the scrap yard for $100 that has <100k on it, take a couple hours to put it in, then drive it for another couple years. Cheap n easy, just like me :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts