GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I'd like to know why the Silverado will have "more than 400" miles of range, but the much more expensive Hummer will only get "more than 300" miles....

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
That was a pointless press release. There's nothing useful in there.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I'd like to know why the Silverado will have "more than 400" miles of range, but the much more expensive Hummer will only get "more than 300" miles....
Because one is a high performance toy and the other is an everyday work/family vehicle? Why don't people get that about the Hummer?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because one is a high performance toy and the other is an everyday work/family vehicle? Why don't people get that about the Hummer?
I am wondering if its going to be separate Silverado or a ICE Silverado adapted to the skateboard idea.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I am wondering if its going to be separate Silverado or a ICE Silverado adapted to the skateboard idea.
They did say: "
The Chevrolet Silverado electric full-size pickup is designed from the ground up to be an EV".
When I read it, I took it as having nothing to do with the ICE Silverado. But, if marketing wrote this than the truth might not be very evident....

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,506 Posts
+1
Looks like GM's PR dweebs - and Mark Reuss - once again delivered on what they know best: useless fluff.

Fortunately for prospective customers who are awaiting an electric Silverado, GM engineering expertise should ensure the actual product is a good one.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,506 Posts
TruckMan has a good explanation in post #4. Just as with gasoline and diesel powered trucks, the additional features, mass, and performance tuning in the Hummer will result in higher energy use compared to a more mainstream truck like Silverado EV.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I too wonder how much will be common between the ICE Silverado and the EV Silverado. Using the same name, I'd expect them to be very similar. But if it's an all new Silverado from the ground up, probably not. If they don't look similar or don't share similar parts, I don't like the idea of calling it a Silverado. I guess they're just going for name recognition?

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
TruckMan has a good explanation in post #4. Just as with gasoline and diesel powered trucks, the additional features, mass, and performance tuning in the Hummer will result in higher energy use compared to a more mainstream truck like Silverado EV.
Plus huge tires and I'm sure they can calibrate how much energy is delivered with the throttle. I bet the Silverado will lean towards torque/fuel economy and the Hummer leans towards max power.

·
Registered
308 Posts
From autoline.com
"because the Hummer SUV has a shorter wheelbase of nearly 9-inches it has 20 battery modules instead of the Hummer truck’s 24"

So the same reason can be used to explain why the Chevy EV pick-up has more range than the more expensive Hummer SUV.

·
Super Moderator
20,912 Posts
From autoline.com
"because the Hummer SUV has a shorter wheelbase of nearly 9-inches it has 20 battery modules instead of the Hummer truck’s 24"

So the same reason can be used to explain why the Chevy EV pick-up has more range than the more expensive Hummer SUV.
Very true. Assuming the Silverado EV will be a crew cab/short box configuration and similar dimensions to the gas model, it has about a foot of wheelbase over the Hummer EV pickup.

·
Super Moderator
20,912 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
My guess is also Silverado will be more aerodynamic than Hummer.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
That likely means a version of the Silverado will be 400+ miles, so they could make a Silverado with higher efficiency attributes like a single motor, smaller tires, lower to the ground, less peak power, etc. All things not really possible in a Hummer.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,013 Posts
It may not have been pointless. It drove the stock up and that counts for somethin'. An electric Silverado...and the beat goes on towards GM's all electric future. Electrifying.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts