GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The electric fan on my Fathers Camaro quit working the other day. Its a 1987 its has the 2.8 liter in it.

I know its not the fan itself, I tested that and thats good, I know its now the wiring going to the fan from the relay, I have power from the fusible link (Hot all times) side of the relay. I have power at the relay from the fuse (Hot in Run), so that leaves the ground. From my diagram the wire for the ground comes from the powertrain module which in turn comes from the Fan A/C pressure switch/or coolant fan switch. Where is this switch located? I would assume this switch gives it the ground?

Also, I have two wires going into the relay for the ground, 2.8 L should only have one acourding to the schematic, while 3.1 L schematic shows it having having two. Did they use the same wiring harness for both engines?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The fan switch is at the back of the passenger side head, with a single green wire going to it; that's the "non-computer" fan turn-on that goes right to the fan relay. That should kick in at 230 degrees... make sure that sensor's all hooked up OK and its wire hasn't been mangled/burnt/etc.

I got that answer at thirdgen.org. You should check it out, very informative. Helped me repair many things when I had my 1990 Camaro RS.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts