GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electric car company reveals why people really buy electric cars (msn.com)
Gary Gastelu

August 2, 2022

Volvo's new Polestar electric car brand has been a hit so far.

Sales have been steadily growing since it launched in late 2020 and deliveries have more than doubled so far this year to over 21,200.

Polestar is on track to be selling over 290,000 cars annually around the world by 2025, including the new U.S.-built Polestar 3 SUV that enters production in Charleston, South Carolina late this year.

The brand is positioned in the premium segment alongside Volvo and the two share their zero-emissions drivetrain technology, which apparently isn't the biggest selling point for their products.

A new independent survey commissioned by Polestar found that 55% of electric car buyers are not primarily concerned about the "environmental benefits" of their vehicles and are more focused on the tech they interface with.

more at link

·
Registered
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems to be the way GM is going - heavy on style, cool features and fun. And I've said it before about Tesla - it is the tech and image that interests customers, different from the environmentalist type Prius buyer. Tesla will continue to prosper if it can keep that cutting edge tech image. GM is trying to find its spot to be seen in the new BEV world where the "engine" no longer helps differentiate your brand from another. Everyone will have similar battery tech, 0-60 becomes meaningless and eMPG's will come more from software than tech differences.

I think GM is taking this fundamental shift seriously and bringing its A game in a way I've not seen them do in my 53 years of life.

·
Premium Member
36,959 Posts
Hmmm. Given that it's Volvo, I'd say
1. Impress their fiends, neighbors, co-workers, random schlubs on the street, and the guy behind the counter at the Stop-N-Rob.
2. Quiet powah.mit luxury.
3. LOOK!!! IT'S REALLY A VOLVO! HOW COOL IS THAT??!! DID YOU NOTICE I'M DRIVING A VOLVO! THAT MEANS I'M GREEN!
4. I paid a lot for this car. I hope Kookie at 77 Sunset Strip is properly impressed when he paahks th' caah in th' yaahd.

From the article:
The revelation emerged in a recent poll of around 8,000 people conducted by Consumer Reports, in which a combined 36% said they would "definitely" or "seriously consider" choosing an electric-only vehicle as their next auto purchase.

When asked about the top concerns preventing them from making the jump from gas to electric, 61% cited charging logistics, followed by 55% saying the number of miles the vehicle can go per charge and 52% saying the costs of buying and maintaining an electric-only vehicle.

Revelation? We're going Biblical about a caah heeah?
Forgot to mention fear.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
4,764 Posts
Reactions: BlackGTP

·
Registered
7,020 Posts

·
Registered
45,041 Posts
Seems to be the way GM is going - heavy on style, cool features and fun. And I've said it before about Tesla - it is the tech and image that interests customers, different from the environmentalist type Prius buyer. Tesla will continue to prosper if it can keep that cutting edge tech image. GM is trying to find its spot to be seen in the new BEV world where the "engine" no longer helps differentiate your brand from another. Everyone will have similar battery tech, 0-60 becomes meaningless and eMPG's will come more from software than tech differences.

I think GM is taking this fundamental shift seriously and bringing its A game in a way I've not seen them do in my 53 years of life.
Yes. There will be new differentiating factors to distinguish each and every single new EV out there.
Also, what has traditionally defined the brands may no longer apply. The brands will run on their reputation.

Range will be the defining characteristic. I like how Toyota stated it best. High range vehicles will be for the top end cars — Lexus, etc. But that also begs the question, what happens to the Corolla EV, which has traditionally been their high mileage/efficiency car? It's a titanic shift in perception and expectations.
And we simply don't know how that's going to play out at this stage.

I think 300 mile EPA range is the magic number. It's where the majority of car buyers will feel most comfortable. That should mean, every single run of the mill car from Malibu to Corolla to Golf to Sonata should hit the 300 mile EPA range either now or in the future. High end or luxury cars should push for 400-500 mile EPA range, which will justify the added cost of the bigger battery. Combine that with improvement in vehicle weight and aerodynamics and software, car makers can start eyeing out incremental improvements in range.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,890 Posts
The idea of luxury being defined by what’s ‘under the hood’ has been replaced in the electric era with the prioritization of seamless connectivity, integration into existing digital ecosystems and good UX design," Gregor Hembrough, Head of Polestar North America, said.
Probably in the minority, but I don't give a %^&* about any of that.
I don't want to be connected. At all.
I see a subscription screwing coming in the near future and want nothing to do with any of it.

The ability to do all of my charging at home is huge. No mega charger, just wall plug.
But I'm not a purist. Using a few gallons of gas doesn't bother me.
Hit the Magic "300" number, too!

·
Registered
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In France (and in the future, perhaps Europe in general), the Polestar brand is taking a hit due to litigation involving the company's logo vis-a-vis that of Stellantis N.V.'s Citroën brand:

Citroën wants to chase Polestar (and its sublime cars) out of Europe with this new lawsuit

Polestar logo:

Citroën historic logo:
That looks like a stretch... I'm thinking BMW had little luck in getting Pontiac to stop using the twin kidney grill, Citroen, in my eyes, has a bigger stretch.

·
Registered
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Probably in the minority, but I don't give a %^&* about any of that.
I don't want to be connected. At all.
I see a subscription screwing coming in the near future and want nothing to do with any of it.

The ability to do all of my charging at home is huge. No mega charger, just wall plug.
But I'm not a purist. Using a few gallons of gas doesn't bother me.
Hit the Magic "300" number, too!
You mean something like this: 2023 Cadillac Escalade Gets Mandatory OnStar, Connected Services Plan (cadillacsociety.com)

I'll have a cow if GM expects me to buy a 3 year plan for $1,000 or so.

·
Registered
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes. There will be new differentiating factors to distinguish each and every single new EV out there.
Also, what has traditionally defined the brands may no longer apply. The brands will run on their reputation.

Range will be the defining characteristic. I like how Toyota stated it best. High range vehicles will be for the top end cars — Lexus, etc. But that also begs the question, what happens to the Corolla EV, which has traditionally been their high mileage/efficiency car? It's a titanic shift in perception and expectations.
And we simply don't know how that's going to play out at this stage.

I think 300 mile EPA range is the magic number. It's where the majority of car buyers will feel most comfortable. That should mean, every single run of the mill car from Malibu to Corolla to Golf to Sonata should hit the 300 mile EPA range either now or in the future. High end or luxury cars should push for 400-500 mile EPA range, which will justify the added cost of the bigger battery. Combine that with improvement in vehicle weight and aerodynamics and software, car makers can start eyeing out incremental improvements in range.
I've long ago made the statement on GMI that BEV will really change what a sports car is and I think further shrink the market. What's the point on getting a dedicated two seat sports car that will go just a little faster than a 10,000 lbs Hummer that seats six? Sure - top end, that most don't explore and handling - but a lot of people just like to mash the peddle at stoplights and have a cool looking vehicle.

But, to your point, I 've never thought of how this will impact the small eco-car. True that smaller will always net you better mpg's due to lighter weight. But, they always generally came with tiny, fuel efficient engines that helped out the mpg equation. I'm thinking with BEV that those tiny, cheap vehicles won't have that big of an mpg savings.

No wonder Toyota is trying to stop BEV at all costs - it really blows up what made their image - fuel efficiency with industry leading quality. They've largely achieved their quality via using drivelines and chassis, etc. for a lot longer than the industry norm, but allows refinement and that industry leading quality. Now they have to build all new vehicles from the ground up, which we all know comes with teething pains regarding quality.

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,694 Posts
Reactions: gkr778 and BlackGTP

·
Registered
21,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Agree. I'd switch brands, sorry GM. That said it might be "cost of doing business" if you're buying a $100K Slade.
My thing is we've seen evidence that all brands are trying to figure out how to get more money out of us. Once one brand figures out how to do it without the customers pushing back then they'll all do it and we won't have anywhere to turn to.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I want/wanted an EV so I wouldn't have to buy gas anymore, the tech is cool and the performance is quite fun....and a small part of me felt like at least the electricity was "homemade" so to speak. I still want another one so I don't have to care about $5 per gallon gasoline impacting my daily life. Spending $20 extra per month for my electricity was worth it, considering I saved over $100 by not buying gas. It was nice, would have been great this last few months.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,008 Posts
Hmmm. Given that it's Volvo, I'd say
1. Impress their fiends, neighbors, co-workers, random schlubs on the street, and the guy behind the counter at the Stop-N-Rob.
2. Quiet powah.mit luxury.
3. LOOK!!! IT'S REALLY A VOLVO! HOW COOL IS THAT??!! DID YOU NOTICE I'M DRIVING A VOLVO! THAT MEANS I'M GREEN!
4. I paid a lot for this car. I hope Kookie at 77 Sunset Strip is properly impressed when he paahks th' caah in th' yaahd.

From the article:
The revelation emerged in a recent poll of around 8,000 people conducted by Consumer Reports, in which a combined 36% said they would "definitely" or "seriously consider" choosing an electric-only vehicle as their next auto purchase.

When asked about the top concerns preventing them from making the jump from gas to electric, 61% cited charging logistics, followed by 55% saying the number of miles the vehicle can go per charge and 52% saying the costs of buying and maintaining an electric-only vehicle.

Revelation? We're going Biblical about a caah heeah?
Forgot to mention fear.
That about sums it up. Infrastructure, range and fear of the :unsure:unknown:whistle::geek:.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts