1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Uh, where did indsideline get this???? To my recent recollection, the GMT-900 replacements were on hold for a long time, not put to rest....

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
What makes you think the same won't happen to Expy and Navi? This is still very preliminary so I wouldn't get too excited about anything more than two years from introduction. EB might be the saving grace for some of these products, but I doubt the mass appeal will stay with these large and overbuilt 7-seaters.

If regulations are the impetus behind the move to unibody, both Ford and GM are facing the same product choices. Ford's equivalent to the Lambda would be D3, which is underpinning the next Explorer; a direct replacement to a BOF SUV. But there is sometime to develop a new chassis. In reality, there is probably no way to replace the Suburban/Tahoe/Escalade with a Lambda based product, but you can offer a similar people hauler. It's like calling the Ford Flex a Freestar replacement because it has the same number of seats and carries a Ford badge; it really isn't because it attracts very different customers. Instead, you replace volume with different customers.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What makes you think the same won't happen to Expy and Navi? This is still very preliminary so I wouldn't get too excited about anything more than two years from introduction. EB might be the saving grace for some of these products, but I doubt the mass appeal will stay with these large and overbuilt 7-seaters.

If regulations are the impetus behind the move to unibody, both Ford and GM are facing the same product choices. Ford's equivalent to the Lambda would be D3, which is underpinning the next Explorer; a direct replacement to a BOF SUV. But there is sometime to develop a new chassis. In reality, there is probably no way to replace the Suburban/Tahoe/Escalade with a Lambda based product, but you can offer a similar people hauler. It's like calling the Ford Flex a Freestar replacement because it has the same number of seats and carries a Ford badge; it really isn't because it attracts very different customers. Instead, you replace volume with different customers.
Because Ford has good plans for the expy/Nav including the 4.4 diesel and EBs and once the V6 hybrids are ready, a 3.5 could make its way in.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Because Ford has good plans for the expy/Nav including the 4.4 diesel and EBs and once the V6 hybrids are ready, a 3.5 could make its way in.
lol. GM had the same plans. CAFE is going to kill the full size SUV market. Let's think about this....GM, the holder of upwards of 65% of the full-size SUV market is pulling out of the segment. The rest (Ford, Toyota, et al) will follow suit as well, it's just a matter of time. Actually, one would have to question it if they did not...as it is likely not a good business decision to stay in the segment.

I'm almost certain Toyota will pull out. They are ranked 9th on the CAFE scale, which is not good at all.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol. GM had the same plans. CAFE is going to kill the full size SUV market. Let's think about this....GM, the holder of upwards of 65% of the full-size SUV market is pulling out of the segment. The rest (Ford, Toyota, et al) will follow suit as well, it's just a matter of time. Actually, one would have to question it if they did not...as it is likely not a good business decision to stay in the segment.

I'm almost certain Toyota will pull out. They are ranked 9th on the CAFE scale, which is not good at all.
hmmm, but with Ford being the only one in the market...would have all the others sales. Making more profit for Ford to produce it with more sales. And lets not forget, Ford's hybrid system is more fuel efficent than GMs. With Ford's hybrid 1.0 I bet they could get out 26 mpg in the city(IF this one could handle a V6. Next month is the debut of the hybrid 2.0. So it should be more fuel efficent. And also GM was using a V8, but the more fuel efficent route that they should have taken is a V6 hybrid...but GM didnt see that!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts