1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
$70 grand? I'll take a CTS-V :D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Their image still sucks. You can't offer the Integra for all those years and think that people will identify you with upscale. V8 won't change that overnight.....

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their image still sucks. You can't offer the Integra for all those years and think that people will identify you with upscale. V8 won't change that overnight.....
A V8 won't change Acura's image overnight, but you have to start somewhere. The current RL is overpriced for what it offers.

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
What are you talking about? A $45,000 CTS vs a $70 Acura flagship? The CTS-V already has more power than this proposed V8 RL anyways.
We don't know what the CTS MCE will price at.
And the fact that 420HP is what is "rumored" 2-3 years prior... perhaps GM should be thinking about 450HP instead.

Also, CTS-V won't be competing with the RL -- Unless there's an RL Type-R down the line at Acura..

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Would be interesting to see once it'll be in the market how some groups will react? If the V8 RL got more sales then originally planned, how Honda will deal with the CAFE? Will they join the "Auto Alliance"? http://www.autoalliance.org/ Then also some "green groups" will fell like they have been betreyed or act like Luke Skywalker a couple of seconds after Darth Vader said he was his father.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Concerning the Hyundai Genesis: I want the Genesis to succeed, because it's a high tech, light weight, large sedan with respectable engines. The auto market can always use more of those.

But the hypothetical new RL has three advantages over the Genesis.
1. Acura dealerships generally treat their customers really well. Hyundai (and Honda) dealerships vary from excellent to awful.
2. Reliability. Acura has a much better reputation for reliability than Hyundai.
3. Resale. Acuras hold value much better than Hyundais.

What are you talking about? A $45,000 CTS vs a $70 Acura flagship? The CTS-V already has more power than this proposed V8 RL anyways.
If power is all that mattered, everyone would be ditching their Lexus LS and BMW 7-series models for a Chrysler 300 SRT-8. The CTS-V will almost certainly eat this RL for breakfast on performance. That by itself doesn't mean the RL will be a sales flop.

Stéphane Dumas said:
Would be interesting to see once it'll be in the market how some groups will react? If the V8 RL got more sales then originally planned, how Honda will deal with the CAFE?
Good question. I'm confident Honda can engineer a pretty thrifty V8. But it's going to take a miracle for any 4+ liter V8 to live nicely with CAFE in another ten years.

·
Premium Member
34,366 Posts
no its not a RWD, its with RWD bias.. does that mean their pilot AWD system programed to take more power to the rear wheels? Instead of worrying for Acura, I worry for Buick.

·
Registered
67 Posts
maybe they will take the RL up a notch so it competes with the A8 ,S-class and 7 ..... so it will no longer compete with the cts or the cts-v that would justify the $70,000 price tag ....

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
RL=DTS=S=LS=7

Those are flagships of their respective car companies.

TL=STS (currently CTS in near future)=E=GS=5

Those are midsize luxury sedans from respective companies.

TSX=CTS(currently, BLS in near future on rwd Alpha)=C=IS=3

........................so what does this mean? In REALITY,

RL flagship will compete will XLS/XTS (Cadillac Zeta Premium RWD Full Size sedan) which if CTS MCE and CTS V pricing allign properly, this Zeta Cadillac should come in base price in high 50's to low 60's and option up into the mid 80's to 90's. SHOULD* is the key word. So if thats exactly what happens this doesn't concern me if GM puts a current 08 CTS effort into a Zeta Cadillac large luxury sedan (even if they should be doing an ultra luxury sedan instead:()

GMI Freakout alert (granted when I read this I got scared too, but after thinking for a bit, realized this post)...BUICK should have a sedan that size priced at naer 50k USD even though if Buick were where it should have been all along price/size/feature set-wise on par with Lexus, a 70,000$ USD Buick wouldn't be far fetched in Park Avenue Ultra trim.

CobaltSS

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Criminey!!!!
ANd here I thought the 3.0L Twin Turbo V6 in the CTS MCE was going to be enough!!!!!

X2... Yup another Car Company debuts a ~400HP high tech V8 within months of GM killing theirs...

Makes me want to cry...

The DTS/DT7 or whatever they are calling it, will never compete with anything else on that list without a high tech ~400HP V8

The STS (which is dead anyway) will never compete with anything else on that list without a high tech ~350HP V8

The CTS-V can compete and win against others on that list with a DI high tech V6 or twin turbo....

The point is that GM needs this motor if there is to be ANY future to Cadillac beyond the CTS.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no its not a RWD, its with RWD bias.. does that mean their pilot AWD system programed to take more power to the rear wheels? Instead of worrying for Acura, I worry for Buick.
The Pilot has a transverse engine, and the article says the new RL will have a longitudinal one that will only put power to the front wheels when it detects slippage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
RL=DTS=S=LS=7

Those are flagships of their respective car companies.

TL=STS (currently CTS in near future)=E=GS=5

Those are midsize luxury sedans from respective companies.

TSX=CTS(currently, BLS in near future on rwd Alpha)=C=IS=3

CobaltSS
Actually it's more along the lines of:
DTS - S-Class - LS - 7-Series - A8
RL - GS350/460 - STS - M35/45 - 5-Series - E-Class - A6
TL (Accord-based) - ES350 (Camry-based)
G35 - IS350 - A4 3.2 - 3-Series - C-Class - CTS
And, if you HAVE to throw the TSX into the mix...
IS250 - TSX - A4 2.0T

1 - 20 of 59 Posts