GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Wow! Edmunds pans one of its own cars (since it is GM's Lackey). The Cobore is a putrid vehicle - tinny - the gaps are huge on the body panels and Edmunds at least gets that - it is a cramped vehicle (no mention of that) and an entirely unremarkable, cheaply made piece of garbage. I can't imagine owning one of these awful vehicles - after having been pinned in the backseat with my legs wedged between the front seat back and the rear cushion, I can't imagine how stupid you'd have to be to actually buy one these.

Cobore is all the evidence you need to prove that if GM was serious about building great cars, the Cobore would have never made it past the "you've got to be kidding" stage of development.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
It's like my friends corolla. His has manual locks, windows, and even a manual radio antenna. Also just like this car his car gets great mileage but its a snore to drive and performance is nothing to boast about

·
Premium Member
35,157 Posts
The funny part is where you see edmunds driving aggressive, salom, 0-60, quarter mile drag race, and then saying, we avaraged only 20 something in our test, despite the claimed 37, I am like, Duh!!! you thought you would get what miles again?

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
The funny part is where you see edmunds driving aggressive, salom, 0-60, quarter mile drag race, and then saying, we avaraged only 20 something in our test, despite the claimed 37, I am like, Duh!!! you thought you would get what miles again?
This is something a lot of so-called automotive journalists complain about.

It's like, if I drive my Grand National like a total @ss, it gets around 11 MPG. If mellow out and stay out of the turbo, it'll make close to 30 MPG, but I don't b#tch about it when it only hits 11.

·
Premium Member
35,157 Posts
This is something a lot of so-called automotive journalists complain about.

It's like, if I drive my Grand National like a total @ss, it gets around 11 MPG. If mellow out and stay out of the turbo, it'll make close to 30 MPG, but I don't b#tch about it when it only hits 11.
Exactly. I think their goal is to ensure they say nothing positive about GM. Even when GM is down, they still kick.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
C&D got 29mpg with their test model. Edmunds reviews an economy car designed to get high mileage and worries about steering feel, handling and other stupid things. They also seem oblivious to the fact that the car is 4 years old and tell us its not as good as the newer competitors of the class. Really? Thats what happens when a car is 4 years old.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
You need to read better. They filled up the tank multiple times. They don't do performance testing every time they refill the tank. Their best mpg on a tank was absurdly far off the mark from the EPA estimate. And it's consistent with every single other publication that's tested the XFE.

NOBODY has gotten anywhere close to the estimate.

C&D got 29mpg with their test model. Edmunds reviews an economy car designed to get high mileage and worries about steering feel, handling and other stupid things. They also seem oblivious to the fact that the car is 4 years old and tell us its not as good as the newer competitors of the class. Really? Thats what happens when a car is 4 years old.
...and it's Edmunds fault that GM continues to sell cars that are uncompetitive? All Edmunds is doing is pointing that fact out to its readers. Edmund's isn't oblivious to anything. Cars aren't graded on a curve by the buying public, and they're not judged that way by journalists.

If GM decides to put out a barely competitive car in 2004 and then keep it out on the market long after the competitors have introduced even better models, then they have to suffer the consequences of doing that. One of those consequences is a 4 year old car that is outclassed in almost all manners by every other car out there.

And you think Edmunds should reward incompetency by giving the car a pass because of its age? Absurd.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I never take mpg seriously when it' being written by journalists. 1,000 miles but who drove it? How'd they drive it? etc etc.

For example my 98 GTP was stickered for mid to upper 20s on the highway. When in reality I can regularly bring in 33-36 mpg.

There is no such thing as an unbiased review.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
You need to read better. They filled up the tank multiple times. They don't do performance testing every time they refill the tank. Their best mpg on a tank was absurdly far off the mark from the EPA estimate. And it's consistent with every single other publication that's tested the XFE.

...and it's Edmunds fault that GM continues to sell cars that are uncompetitive? All Edmunds is doing is pointing that fact out to its readers. Edmund's isn't oblivious to anything. Cars aren't graded on a curve by the buying public, and they're not judged that way by journalists.

If GM decides to put out a barely competitive car in 2004 and then keep it out on the market long after the competitors have introduced even better models, then they have to suffer the consequences of doing that. One of those consequences is a 4 year old car that is outclassed in almost all manners by every other car out there.

And you think Edmunds should reward incompetency by giving the car a pass because of its age? Absurd.
That's funny, I get around 33-35 with my non-XFE equipped (or available) Ion, and it's rated at 32 under the '08 revision (sticker says 35). Wonder if it is because of how it's driven and not because it's incapable? Gas mileage is very dependent on the meat puppet behind the wheel.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
The perfect car for people who hate cars.
Uh, if they hate cars they'd hate this....since it's a car. I never understood that statement, it's silly. And I fail to see why you'd call it that because it's stripped. Not everyone wants all the power crap. Besides, it's stripped because it's an LS, not because it's an XFE. The XFE can be had on the LT1 as well, which adds the power amenities and nicer trim. But, with anti-GM bias, you'll be hard pressed to find a review of an LT-level XFE...the media must portray the car as uber-cheap and lackluster so Toyota and Honda get the sales.

·
Premium Member
35,157 Posts

Which brings me to the conclusion that Rick Wagoner should be fired.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Nobody who has tested this car has been able to get the EPA rated fuel economy.
So who is to blame? GM? The EPA? The magazine/blog testing the car? There are too many variables to put the blame solely on GM.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts