GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hybrid.

Hybrid, hybrid, hybrid.

It's all you ever hear anymore. Hybrid this. Hybrid that. Hybrid wore a funny hat.

Driving a hybrid sucks. A real hybrid, like a Prius, or a Civic. Please don't lump those fake hybrids into this rant. And by fake hybrids, I mean those leather-laden Lexuses and big fat Escalades. They're about as green as Al Gore and his private aircraft.

No, I mean real hybrids. The ones that pack the entertainment value of a Post-it. The ones that suck the car down to its basic intent: transportation. A to B. Nothing more. Nothing. No cool. No smiles. No looking at it in your driveway because it's fun to just look at it in your driveway.

Screw that. The car can and should be so much more. You should want it to be more. You should want your car. You should want to be in your car. Desire. That's the word I'm looking for. Does anybody really desire a Prius? You remember desire, don't you? How about covet? Yearn for? Crave? Of course not.

I know, I know, they're good on gas and gas is expensive. Hey, jughead, anything worth having is expensive. A good car. A good house. A hot wife. PlayStation. HDTV. Table service. You pay for what you get in this world and if you want to live a good life, it costs money.

But the people who have them love 'em. Heck, the Toyota Prius is so popular, Toyota is upping production as fast as it can.

Too bad popularity is not a measure of good. Never has been. Millions of people watch Grey's Anatomy. Millions more smoke menthol. Last year a ridiculous number of people paid to see Celine Dion in concert. No thanks.

What about the environment? What about it? The best thing you can do for the environment is drive the car you have.

You heard me. The fact is, it takes thousands of factories to build a car. Think about it. The tires, the steel, the rubber, the aluminum, the plastics, the seats; every individual component of a car is made somewhere else before it is trucked to the assembly plant where it's built into a car. In the case of the Toyota Prius, that plant is in Tsutsumi, Japan.

And if that car is a hybrid it takes even more factories and even more trucks because the car is now that much more complex. There's an electric motor, batteries, etc.

Then of course, they ship them to America on a big smelly ship. Talk about a gas guzzler.

Bottom line, get over it. Get over this hybrid fixation. Drive the car you desire. Whether it's new or old, drive it and enjoy it. Enjoy driving. Pay for the gas. It's worth it. Cut something else from your life if you have to. It may not be politically correct, but it's the right thing to do. -- The Mechanic

The full thing

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
My new f'n hero.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I

AM

SPEECHLESS

This came out of edmunds?!!?!

Speechless

AMEN BROTHER - YOU NEED A PULITZER - and a NOBEL PRIZE ... you are my hero!!!

I Am actually HAPPY - I am HAPPY !!

a piece by Edmunds has not made me happy since .. ever!

Speechless.

Igor

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
My friend asked for car advice and I told her pretty much the same thing, but a car you like. There aren't a lot of lemons out there anymore, and there also aren't many cars that evoke any sort of desire.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
I dunno, the whole "green" thing is getting annoying but that's just me. The comments were mostly pure trash. Oh noooo something I don't agree with! You're going to lose my readership because I disagree with one thing!

That said, I have yet to see someone under 60 driving a Prius. It's an old person's car, just like a Grand Marquis.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Nice, and the author is "the Mechanic".

Would you buy a book if it was written by a guy named "eurohazard"?

lmfao

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I dunno, the whole "green" thing is getting annoying but that's just me. The comments were mostly pure trash. Oh noooo something I don't agree with! You're going to lose my readership because I disagree with one thing!

That said, I have yet to see someone under 60 driving a Prius. It's an old person's car, just like a Grand Marquis.
I only see semi-trendy 20-30 somethings in them here, and I don't see Grand Marquises at all!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think the author's problem is a misunderstanding of what makes a car fun to drive. For someone who enjoys getting maximum gas mileage, a Prius is more fun than a Corvette. I agree that hybrids are overhyped, but people do enjoy them for legitimate reasons.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Wow, the first thing Edmunds wrote that actually made me sit up and give a ****! :eek:

He's right on though! :yup: :drive:

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
I think the author's problem is a misunderstanding of what makes a car fun to drive. For someone who enjoys getting maximum gas mileage, a Prius is more fun than a Corvette. I agree that hybrids are overhyped, but people do enjoy them for legitimate reasons.
I agree here. While I have much more fun driving my Monte Carlo under WOT, driving my Grand Cherokee like a jackass to see how high I can get the MPG rating (I've gotten it to 19 city) can sometimes be fun too. Either way though, I don't see how NOBODY can genuinely like any true hybrids.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts

I genuinely like the Altima hybrid. It just needs different wheels.

I don't think we can fault people for buying hybrids if that is what they want. "But Priuses and Civics are boooooring cars!!" So what, some people want boring. Their priorities for cars are different. They get their excitement somewhere else. Even people who like exciting cars may have a practical side and drive something boring daily. Not all people are enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Funny. And it's what I've told people I know looking at cars, too. If you want to be smug and feel like you're somehow more "green", buy a hybrid. If you want to be smart about your money, buy something you like and drive it for a long time.

Along a similar vein a friend asked me why I don't like Toyotas. I told him, quite simply, they don't make anything exciting. Toyotas seem to be built for those who hate living. To them food is just something to fuel themselves with, cars are mere conveyance appliances, and this life is a way station to the next. Sad. If you don't want any thrill in your life, buy a Toyota. If you want to have some fun, talk to me, there are a lot of choices out there with passion. Hell, you only live once so LIVE!

That tends to get some folks mad at me (who cares), some folks nodding in agreement, or a lot of nervous chair or feet shuffling when they realize they agree but can't bring themselves to admit the fact :D.

BTW, I have a similar discussion regarding Porsche and Ferrari. You buy Porsche because you're a lemming, you buy a Ferrari because you love life and want a car that just exudes that fact.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
AMEN. I agree with this entire thing. :yup:

Buying a car just for good fuel economy is just wrong. If saving a few bucks on gas is your idea of exciting, then you desperately need to rethink your life.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Along a similar vein a friend asked me why I don't like Toyotas. I told him, quite simply, they don't make anything exciting. Toyotas seem to be built for those who hate living. To them food is just something to fuel themselves with, cars are mere conveyance appliances, and this life is a way station to the next. Sad. If you don't want any thrill in your life, buy a Toyota. If you want to have some fun, talk to me, there are a lot of choices out there with passion. Hell, you only live once so LIVE!
That doesn't make sense. It equates how much you care about your car's performance to how much you care about your life. If you drive your Camry from your dream house to your dream job, do you hate your life, or do you just not care about cars?

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
That doesn't make sense. It equates how much you care about your car's performance to how much you care about your life. If you drive your Camry from your dream house to your dream job, do you hate your life, or do you just not care about cars?
You have a point there, but the general consensus is that Toyota makes (Celica MR2 and Supra are excluded) rather unremarkable cars.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You have a point there, but the general consensus is that Toyota makes (Celica MR2 and Supra are excluded) rather unremarkable cars.
The implication is that there is something wrong with someone who isn't attracted to a performance car, or that people who buy Toyotas do so despite their inner desire to buy a performance car instead.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
i have a guy at work that bought a prius, and now his wife has one, he will not shut up about it. Hybrid drivers are smuuUUGG, I know first hand. I HATE HYBRIDS. I care pool w/ two girls from the office, I drive every three weeks. I polute less than a hybrid.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'll take public transportation/mass transit BEFORE a hybrid.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
i have a guy at work that bought a prius, and now his wife has one, he will not shut up about it. Hybrid drivers are smuuUUGG, I know first hand. I HATE HYBRIDS. I care pool w/ two girls from the office, I drive every three weeks. I polute less than a hybrid.
That's what bothers me the most. When SUVs were hot you didn't see people walking around saying "I drive such an SUV. I just love how much ground clearance and towing capacity I have."

1 - 20 of 59 Posts