1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
426 Posts
This will be an interesting thing to read over time. I can't wait to read more about their long term test Caddy. I hope it does exceptionally well. I don't see why not.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I can't believe I'm saying this, but they seem to LOVE it. Just like it should be.

It goes to show that they often don't hat domestics, they just hate garbage cars. Everything in that write up was positive, and not even a back handed compliment to be found, which are common to the writers that want to hate something even when they can't.

Only thing that stinks is that they are offering rebates on it. I like the 1500 conquest rebate, but not the "3 Grand for the Hell of it" rebate.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

They compared it to the 3 series.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
That isn't going to change, Caddy under priced the car, and they never seem to compare money wise, only size.

Kinda like my buddies 98 Accord in my driveway now is super teensy tiny compared to my Impala and yet they were supposed to be the same class....

But regardless, they love it, as a GM product, what more can we ask for?

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
There's no reason they shouldn't love this car. It's put together VERY well, probably better than or at the very least equal to the best in the business. The interior is amazing, and the panel gaps are better than Lexus! (I owned an IS 250). The only thing I can complain about is the resale which sucks! If you get into the optioned out versions, and there are a plethora of options, it gets very pricey and the resale doesn't support it. My theory there is because GM made the base price so low. I took a bath on mine!

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Martin's auto group is stupid. Edmunds would have paid sticker or slightly under.

Oh well, if they measure resale value then they will likely use prices paid, which will help the CTS's case.

If they were serious about a long term test, they would wait for the FE3 suspension, which is obviously in high demand...I am a little puzzled they went with the version that the did given the popularity of the sport tuned package.

I think the CTS will do well. It's not European, wich means it will be cheap to maintain and shouldn't break routinely. It's not Japanese, so it won't be a bland mobile and lose appeal over the course of six months.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
is exactly why we gathered this group of sport sedans. That is, to find out if the 2008 Cadillac CTS, 2007 Infiniti G35 Sport, 2008 Lexus IS 350 or 2008 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport can topple the Bavarian champ — the 2007 BMW 335i. In the spirit of the segment, each car in the test is outfitted with sport package hardware — usually a stiffer suspension and bigger wheels and tires — and an automatic transmission.
EDMUNDS

The quote above is the EXACT reason why I hate reading their and pretty much everyone else's comparisons of the CTS.... They PUT IT UP AGAINST THE WRONG sized cars.

This quote sums up EVRYTHING in this comparo

It measures nearly a foot shorter, two inches narrower, and weighs several hundred pounds less.
MONEY CNN

Basic physics and stupid people never seem to go 2gether.

Take two cars... with almost IDENTICAL power, one is about the size of a 3series, which is smaller than a Cobalt/Civic Sedan, put it up against a car that is larger than a 5series... and expect the larger car to win in a performance contest.

Simply Brilliant... on BIZARRO world.

Once again this comparo was done based on PRICING similarities.

From a person who already owns a Caddy that kills Lexus GS's all day long... let me be the first to say... that based on this comparison alone... My money is PLEDGED 2 Cadillac come summer-fall '09 for a CTS-V. And U kno I live up to my buying promises

Do I think the IS350, 335i, G35 are faster than the CTS??? Hell Yeah. BUT they are also faster than the 535i, GS, M, and STS.

The problem is simple and plain that the CTS is the STS replacement, but until it actually takes the spot, or a smaller car come in under it... DUMB-ass Media Types are gonna use it's comparisons in performance test as a way of belittling it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
They continue to be infatuated with their Enclave, so hopefully this other new "best of GM" can live up to the criteria in the same way--ESPECIALLY with being completely issue free.

Of course, every reviewer is more stringent with reviews of a sedan, so it should be interesting to watch develop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"The 2008 CTS has a soul, a passion from within. This is the sort of thing that's hard to quantify in a comparison test but leaves a lasting impression long after you've left the infinitely adjustable driver seat."

This statement is the deal maker. It is like watching mountains move coming from them. This says all it needs to say and shoots down what it needs to. This auto is a huge success. I am in awe.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts
I said from the very first time I sat in a 2008 CTS last fall that it was by far the best car GM had ever built. Period. Not in the way of 0-60 times or slalom numbers but in overall quality. Fit, finish, and interior plastic quality is right there with Lexus and BMW. When you shut the doors, they close with a tight, quick "whooph" instead of a "ka-chunk-unk-unk" as so many older GM cars do. You know that as the car ages, it shouldn't develop rattles or misaligned parts because the chasis is so rigid to begin with. And all the body parts (hood, doors, fenders, and bumpers) fit together with absolute precision and near zero gap tollerance that even EXCEEDs Lexus and MB. There was a time not too long ago you could fit two fingers between the trunk and rear quarter panels of Cadillacs.

If GM continues to follow this formula for ALL of their cars, from $12k Cobalts to $100k Corvette ZR1s, GM is going to at last offer world class cars in every aspect.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
That isn't going to change, Caddy under priced the car, and they never seem to compare money wise, only size.

Kinda like my buddies 98 Accord in my driveway now is super teensy tiny compared to my Impala and yet they were supposed to be the same class....

But regardless, they love it, as a GM product, what more can we ask for?
we can ask for FINALLY: GM's said car (CTS) is better car and better buy than said Import car (insert here)

until that happens, import intenders and worshippers WILL NOT PURCHASE DOMESTIC PRODUCTS AT ANY LEVEL ESPECIALLY A LUXURY LEVEL!

CobaltSS

·
Registered
632 Posts
"we were left with only two engine choices: a 3.6-liter V6 or a 3.6-liter V6. One has the benefit of direct fuel injection and makes 39 more horses. The other offers variable valve timing, a 1 mpg bump in fuel economy and is already found in our long-term Buick Enclave"

I could have sworn that both engines offer VVT. By their writing, only one does and not the other. Are they sure they know what they are really testing?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not to rain on everyones parade...literally!!!!!

But my mom's 2008 CTS sprung a leak this weekend during the heavy rains we have been having on the East Coast.

Appears the leak is coming from the top of the back window.....rain has intruded the headliner, left back seat and the trunk.......NOT HAPPY!!!!

Dad will be at the Caddy Dealer first thing on Monday!!!

Otherwise they love the car....just hope it won't smell after the repair.

·
Banned
2,267 Posts
Not to rain on everyones parade...literally!!!!!

But my mom's 2008 CTS sprung a leak this weekend during the heavy rains we have been having on the East Coast.

Appears the leak is coming from the top of the back window.....rain has intruded the headliner, left back seat and the trunk.......NOT HAPPY!!!!

Dad will be at the Caddy Dealer first thing on Monday!!!

Otherwise they love the car....just hope it won't smell after the repair.
Ouch! See, this is the thing that GM cannot have happening with their new product. Even though your case may be very isolated, it's a case of bad quality. Not only did the person (or robot) installing the seals and rear window not do it correctly, the problem slipped through final quality control inspections.

Not good.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I can't believe I'm saying this, but they seem to LOVE it. Just like it should be.
They should love it the CTS is an outstanding car. I only heard only one bad review and the first sentence shows the person is biased. The only thing the CTS really needs now is a more powerful engine options. The DI V6 is probably enough power for most buyers but a engine between the DI V6 and V version is needed IMO. It could be a V6 or V8 but it needs something. I just wish I could afford a CTS right now, I would buy it in an instant.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The problem is simple and plain that the CTS is the STS replacement, but until it actually takes the spot, or a smaller car come in under it... DUMB-ass Media Types are gonna use it's comparisons in performance test as a way of belittling it.
It's better then having every review point out that Cadillac has no 3-series competitor. That they have ignored the largest volume car in each of their competitor's portfolios.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Why can't Cadillac just take a 3, style it as a Cadillac inside and now and tune the steering to be lighter? Thats what the media and buying public wants, why can't GM deliver?

CobaltSS

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
Why can't Cadillac just take a 3, style it as a Cadillac inside and now and tune the steering to be lighter? Thats what the media and buying public wants, why can't GM deliver?

CobaltSS
A 3-Series competitor is coming from Cadillac. The CTS is designed to compete with the 5-series but for now to cover the gaps until the lower end Cadillac comes, it's priced closer to a 3-Series.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.