GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edmunds.com Rates Nissan Titan as Top Truck of 2004 in Full-Size Truck Comparison Test; Consumer Interest Steady Despite Rising Gas Prices

SANTA MONICA, Calif., June 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Edmunds.com, the Internet's
premiere resource for consumer automotive information, today announced that
the Nissan Titan claimed a resounding victory in the 2004 Full-Size Truck
Comparison Test. The full test can be found at
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/...58/article.html

"Consumer interest in full-size trucks has remained steady, despite much
speculation that consumers would turn away from larger vehicles as gas prices
rise," said Ed Hellwig, Senior Road Test Editor for Edmunds.com. In part,
steady sales may be due to generous incentives on the vehicles: incentives for
full-size trucks averaged $2,744 per vehicle in April, up $385 from March,
according to Edmunds.com's True Cost of Incentives report.
Adds Hellwig, "Full-size truck drivers choose their vehicles for a variety
of reasons, but all-around utility is always at the top of the list; full size
trucks offer specific functionality that most other vehicles simply can't
provide."
And, while these vehicles average just 14 miles per gallon in city driving
and 18 on highways, compared with the industry average of 19 in cities and
26 on highways, the increased cost of fuel is nominal for many household
budgets. The full-size trucks have an average annual fuel cost of
$1,874 while the industry average is $1,310.
The Nissan Titan was the runaway winner largely because of its unmatched
performance, reasonable price and unique features. The Titan also scored
points for its spacious interior, comprehensive array of optional safety
equipment and practical cabin design.
The Dodge Ram 1500 and Ford F-150 finished well behind the Titan but
within three percentage points of each other for second and third place,
respectively. The performance of the Dodge Ram 1500 impressed Edmunds.com
editors, as it delivered exceptional power, precise road feel and tight
handling. Testers also noted the Ram's modern interior design, available side
airbags and comprehensive features list. The Ford F-150, winner of Edmund's
last full-size truck competition, won praise for its refined ride quality,
usable interior space and quiet cabin.
The fourth place Toyota Tundra offered car-like handling and a level of
refinement that most editors were surprised to find in a truck. The Chevrolet
Silverado, a six-year old design, was judged a solid performer, despite its
fifth place finish. Its front seats were judged the best of the five trucks,
and testers appreciated the user-friendly interior layout.

Full Story

Yeah, anyone knows the F-150 is better, even hardcore GM fans.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
So, the Ram got second place mostly because of the Hemi. The Toyota got fourth because, hey, you can't have a Toyota coming in dead last. The Nissan got first because it was fastest?

Most head-to-head comparisons have put the F-150 in first with the Nissan close behind, followed by the Ram most often. Edmunds has some very odd reviews and results sometimes.

"Our particular test truck was a midgrade XLT SuperCrew with a standard array of options — in other words, it wasn't some big-dollar press fleet truck, it was your typical high-volume model."

The problem here is that there is no single high-volume model of the F-150. It has so many different configurations available, and that's something that deserves to be taken into consideration in any comparison. I agree that the F-150 needs a bigger engine available for horsepower junkies, though the 5.4 is still one of the smoothest and best engines available for a truck. I also agree with the conclusion that a beefy 5-speed is needed to keep this engine in its powerband.

The Silverado is still a far better full-size than the Tundra, if for no other reason than the Tundra is not a full-size pickup. It needs a redesign though, and hopefully we'll be seeing that soon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So... they're judging trucks off of how car-like the ride is, and/or how sporty the handling can be?

Time to bust out the thesaurus..

stupid
absurd
backward
balmy
ridiculous
banal

Anyone else feel free to add to the list?

·
Registered
393 Posts
The Chevrolet
Silverado, a six-year old design, was judged a solid performer, despite its
fifth place finish. Its front seats were judged the best of the five trucks,
and testers appreciated the user-friendly interior layout.

When I got my GMC in December I base it on how I feel in the drives seat.Really is should be the #1 factor in buying a truck. You work all day you want a nice home for that 1 -1 1/2 hr trip.
Throw on a cap some ladders on top and the trucks weights in a 2750 kg.
I am up and down the highway at about 65-70 mph. No problem passing with the 5.3 l. Friend across the street is over 300,000 on his 99 5.3 ext cab no major problems.

Maybe a tester should drive one long term and pull their money were there month is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This is what you get when you have a bunch of sport car enthusiasts reviewing pickup trucks. They clearly have their priorities mixed up when it comes to reviewing trucks.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Not only are the folks at Edmunds sports car enthusiasts, but they prefer imports when given a choice. I'm shocked the Toyota ranked so low.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The magazines have all done the same thing. The F-150 wins by every subective benchmark but the Titan gets all kinds of manditory points for being fastest. Whatever :rolleyes:. In reality, of course, the far superior quality of the Ford sould trump the quantity of the Nissan for most people.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Yah, it's really unfortunate (ahem) that Edmund's superlative review of the Titan doesn't translate into anything useful, like real sales. In comparing the Titan to GM's second string (at least in sales) pickup, the Sierra, Nissan sold a massive 7,236 Titan's in May (26,711 to date). The Sierra, by contrast, sold 19,338 in May (81,871 to date).

True, I could have compared the Titan to the GM pickup in the article (the Silverado), but that comparison would have made the Titan look really pathetic. Boy, those folks in Canton aren't very busy these days, are they?

What a shame!

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Yes, Edmund's review does seem to be misrepresentative of the Nissan Titan's true worth, given the relatively weak sales numbers it's had so far. If 26,711 units sold to date is accurate, that means Nissan isn't having much success at all. I read somewhere (maybe here) that Nissan anticipated selling as many as 100,000 Titans a year. At this rate, Nissan will make little more than half its quota by years end. On top of that, Nissan's Armada SUV, which shares the Titan's platform, isn't doing so well either.

I'm sure the Titan will find its legs sooner or later but the competition that it'll have to overcome is only going to get tougher within the next few years with GM redesigning the Silverado/Sierra and Dodge and Ford getting into a horsepower war with Dodge's upcoming 6.1L Hemi V8 and Ford's upcoming 6.2L 'Hurricane' V8.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
[rant]
This is kinda upsetting for me because I know my dad usually checks out vehicles @ ed,munds before buying them...and if he does it then thousands of other people do it too. I just wonder how many of them go out and buy a vehicle based on reviews like this because it's the fastest or because it's the best handling and then find out that it can't pull anything because it has less torque than a civic on pump gas. edmunds is horrible
[/rant]

·
Registered
708 Posts
Originally posted by bakerna@Jun 6 2004, 07:34 AM
I just wonder how many of them go out and buy a vehicle based on reviews like this because it's the fastest or because it's the best handling and then find out that it can't pull anything because it has less torque than a civic on pump gas.
No offense or anything, but the Titan has 379 ft-lb.
That is more than the GM, Dodge, Ford and Toyota.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No offense or anything, but the Titan has 379 ft-lb.
That is more than the GM, Dodge, Ford and Toyota.
Yeah, except Ford, GM & Dodge have Diesel choices which have gobs of torque.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Originally posted by Butta@Jun 15 2004, 02:35 PM
Yeah, except Ford, GM & Dodge have Diesel choices which have gobs of torque.
Yeah, except they were rating half tons, not 3/4 and one tons.

;)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by MN12Fan@Jun 6 2004, 03:06 AM
Yes, Edmund's review does seem to be misrepresentative of the Nissan Titan's true worth, given the relatively weak sales numbers it's had so far. If 26,711 units sold to date is accurate, that means Nissan isn't having much success at all.
Nissan always SEEMS to have good pickup product, and the Import-enthusiasts at places like Edmunds love to pump them up and write articles about the impending doom of the Big 3 in the pickup marketplace...

But when it comes down to the wire, Americans prefer Big 3 pickups. Like the Accord, Camry, and Maxima drivers who won't even consider a 2004 Malibu or Grand Prix, Nissan and Toyota don't even enter into their available choices.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by RobbieNismo@Jun 18 2004, 03:34 AM
Actually You guys should check this out I found it to be very interesting....

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0...oty/index1.html

Four wheeler Mag. Truck of the Year - apparently to people who go off road with there trucks the Nissan is the Best.

Oh and Nissan is only producing 100,000 trucks a year they won't ever be producing numbers like Ford and Chev. ever...
100k units a year? Kind of worthless if you ask me. Why even bother?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Butta@Jun 4 2004, 10:59 PM
The Chevrolet Silverado, a six-year old design, was judged a solid performer, despite its fifth place finish. Its front seats were judged the best of the five trucks, and testers appreciated the user-friendly interior layout.
hmmm... you'd figure they'd rip apart the GM truck for having an outdated interior, but instead they managed to find praise for the layout and seats. that's encouraging, and shuts up those who complain (like me!) that the trucks will flounder over the next few years without an interior redo.

as for 100,000 titan units a year... GM'd love to add those numbers to its sales! nissan knows it can't sell 1 million trucks, so they're being realistic and trying to put a dent (small, perhaps, but a dent nonetheless) in the competition. they'd be foolish to let the american companies run free any longer in the full size truck arena. i don't know trucks, and don't know how the titan will do, but i can't fault nissan for trying (even though i'd rather see them fail)! they've put together a better offensive than toyota for sure. and toyota has had a generation to improve their truck.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Nissan has always built 1 tough small truck. But to break into the north americian controled full size market was 1 though project.

But they really did a good job of it I think and sales #'s will go up, it is a fairly loyal market. Kudos to them for not making a copy of 1 already on the market but also not going too far beyond the borders.

I personaly think the F-150 is the bench mark right now, but that is after years of GMs being the 1 to beat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts