Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edmunds.com Editors Hit Aluminum 2015 Ford F-150 With Sledgehammer

PART 2

·
Registered
977 Posts
Taking a sledgehammer to a brand new truck........ouch.

The labor rate is double for aluminum than steel parts so I guess it is that much harder to work with.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
The reason the F-150's repair cost was so high is because the shop they took it to was not a Ford-certified aluminum repair center:

He said Santa Monica Ford, the dealership Edmunds used, was not yet certified by Ford to work on the truck. Ford has certified more than 750 dealerships and worked with more than 1,000 independent shops.

“Unfortunately, this dealer that Edmunds went to was not one of them.” Fields said.

http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2015/01/30/3-f-150-related-takeaways-from-ford-earnings-call/

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
It's interesting they got the "Out of Pocket" discount. Is that because they were Edmunds.com doing a story, or is that what the dealerships do for everyone who comes in paying out of pocket? They mention the other shop and their rates, but not if they would give a discount for out of pocket repair, I'm sure not every shop will do that kind of discount but would still be a more complete story if they included the info.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Why would a repair facility offer a 50% discount on labor if customer is "paying out of pocket?"
My dentists rates are significantly more if you pay out of pocket...now why is that?

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Why would they take it to a dealership that isn't Ford certified??

It would have been the same had they let Joe down the street do it.

That said, my take away from this is to avoid hitting the bed of truck with a sledgehammer as it causes unique damage due to the impact being in such a small isolated area.

·
Registered
19,351 Posts
With a vehicle that sells 60,000+ a month, Ford better step up the amount of dealers and independents that are certified in repairing damage.....

750 dealers is nothing to sneeze at, but this is a big country and 750 sounds like there are large gaps in coverage.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Why would they take it to a dealership that isn't Ford certified??

It would have been the same had they let Joe down the street do it.
I would assume it was because it was the closest dealership to them.

I'd argue that taking the truck to a Ford dealership is different than Joe operating out of his garage.

·
Back!
5,366 Posts
Much ado about almost nothing. We heard the same horror stories back when fuel injection really began to replace the carburetor, etc, etc. Of course aluminum is going to be significantly more expensive in terms of hourly labor right now, we're still living in a world where the majority of body techs are trained primarily on steel, simple business math explains how that breaks out. I don't doubt that aluminum will remain somewhat more expensive to repair than steel even once the market adjusts, at least for a while, but like fuel injection this is the new reality and much of the market will follow shortly. I'm just surprised at how hard some of the auto rags are working to squeeze every last drop out of the aluminum body story.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,318 Posts
One thing's for sure...
If you break a taillight with an blind spot sensor in it, it's gonna cost you.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Much ado about almost nothing. We heard the same horror stories back when fuel injection really began to replace the carburetor, etc, etc. Of course aluminum is going to be significantly more expensive in terms of hourly labor right now, we're still living in a world where the majority of body techs are trained primarily on steel, simple business math explains how that breaks out. I don't doubt that aluminum will remain somewhat more expensive to repair than steel even once the market adjusts, at least for a while, but like fuel injection this is the new reality and much of the market will follow shortly. I'm just surprised at how hard some of the auto rags are working to squeeze every last drop out of the aluminum body story.
The outlay of $100,000 in special tools are still very much in the minds of Dealerships and Body Shops. The costs of the Special Tools will fade in time. Specially if you are the only Body Shop that can do the job.

Every Manufacture's All New Engine, Transmission, Power Window Motor, causes the need for New Tools and Training. It is a fact of the business. Why Dealerships might charge more? They have to invest more into Specialty tools and Training. For 1 Brand.

Our small shop is Aluminum Certified already. With some Investment, which will pay back over time.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Remember what the horse-drawn carriage shops said about the automobile? Any of this sound familiar?
"It'll never catch on..."
"It's too complicated..."
"It's too expensive..."
"Why would you want this when the old technology is good enough..."

How about when fuel injection started to take over carbs en masse?
"It's too expensive..."

How about when computers started to control nearly every facet of the automobile?
"It's too expensive..."

I'm seeing a pattern. Someone innovates, someone else complains, those refusing the new technology get left behind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts