GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's the Right Time To Be Fit
When the Fit first arrived here in late 2006 as an '07 model, gas prices were about $2.30 per gallon and there didn't seem to be much of a compelling proposition for such a Japan-centric small car as the Fit. But now that gasoline peaked above $4 per gallon this summer, Honda ran out of its allotment of 85,000 Fits by September. Honda took a chance with its little car, and it paid off big.

The 2009 Honda Fit now fits our recently tightened American budgets, our ever varying cargo and passenger needs, and finally our 95th-percentile biometric bodies. This car is plainly not built to win races; instead, it's built to squeeze as much efficiency as possible out of every gallon of gas and every cubic foot of interior volume.

For the money, the 2009 Honda Fit Sport is the best small car for sale in the U.S. for most people.

Sauce and moar:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=132028

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
It got 2 mpg less than than Autoweek's Cobalt XFE. But this is a better package for cargo carrying.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
- uglier
- slower
- less grip
- longer braking distance
- bigger
- heavier
- more expensive
- not as fuel efficient

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I guess if you can get past the looks of it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
- uglier
- slower
- less grip
- bigger
- heavier
- more expensive
- not as fuel efficient
don't forget smaller gas tank (by 2.4 gallons) and in turn less fuel range

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I would definitely consider one, but that's just me. ;)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The last generation Fit was a fantastic car, and this one is quite an improvement.

The look is much better in real life. The interior is absurdly versitile.

And I hope no one wants to pretend teh Aveo is even worthy of being compared to the Fit.

About the only thing I think it does better on is price, and it's pretty obvious why when you sit in it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm with Minnesota Nice, I vote Honda for president on this one.
It's very refined for what it offers, and sadly, it's more sporty than today's Focus.
The Cobalt has a few advantages but all of that is negligible in the long term because the Fit is much more simplistic in the design category. On top of that the Fit's engine is much smaller.

....Chevy pulled out all the stops to beat Honda by a few inches here..think about it.. all the weight reduction, changing gear ratios, aerodynamic adjustments, engine tweaks.... For what? An even more bland car that STILL looks like it should have been released in 1997? Stupid name as well. Xtra Fuel Economy?.... Cmon....

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Oh boy.......look at those EPA numbers....

I get 33MPG or better already doing a 100mi round trip interstate commute......in the city I'm only off by 3-4mpg (how big of a savings is that at the pump.....?)

I'm surprised this thing is being touted as the best Honda can do, when with Honda being Honda, I would expect them to get much closer to 30city/40hwy......

Production is probably squeezed to the brink right now, but man....Honda should just hybridize this and let it advertise itself.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Fine handling, great economy, versatile interior, and all that jazz (badum tisshh:D), but how much dealer markup will there be? And, by extension, how much of the purpose of buying an economy car is erased by said dealer markup?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
One of the UK reviews said this about the handling:
what have the engineers done to the steering? Its movement is assisted by electric motor, as before, and Honda claims it now feels more "natural". The opposite is true: it has the rubbery feel typical of today's poorer electric systems and is reluctant to self-centre.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Oh boy.......look at those EPA numbers....

I get 33MPG or better already doing a 100mi round trip interstate commute......in the city I'm only off by 3-4mpg (how big of a savings is that at the pump.....?)

I'm surprised this thing is being touted as the best Honda can do, when with Honda being Honda, I would expect them to get much closer to 30city/40hwy......

Production is probably squeezed to the brink right now, but man....Honda should just hybridize this and let it advertise itself.
When you 0-60 mph tests, top speed tests, and 1/4 mile tests, not to mention 70-0 tests in your car....let us know what the gas mileage drops to! ;)

I'm semi-teasing of course....but the truth is if you got to drive "someone else's" car, and get paid to do it.......how easy would you drive it? I'm sure I'm going to get flamed from some angels. :yup:

.....and all that jazz
lol, I get it! ;)

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
- uglier
- slower
- less grip
- bigger
- heavier
- more expensive
- not as fuel efficient
don't forget smaller gas tank (by 2.4 gallons) and in turn less fuel range
Thats interesting - for about 6 months or so its been kicking ass in the JDM - including the Corollas

Does well against the Kei class cars too..

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I'm not overly impressed with the fuel economy numbers as they're down a hair and I'm a bit worried about the handling/steering feel, but I like everything else so far. I guess I need to go drive it, even though I'm leaning towards an HHR if I do get something.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like its wider stance.

The old Fit was a bit too narrow-looking for me.

The Civic steering wheel looks a bit out of place; otherwise, the interior looks excellent for a sub-compact.

A nice Honda Civic (EG) throwback with the driver-oriented knobs.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
One of the UK reviews said this about the handling:
what have the engineers done to the steering? Its movement is assisted by electric motor, as before, and Honda claims it now feels more "natural". The opposite is true: it has the rubbery feel typical of today's poorer electric systems and is reluctant to self-centre
I wonder if the Jazz/Fit destined to UK and the rest of Europe came from another plant or if some beancounters played a role?:confused:

Then on the other hand with the Ford Fiesta coming here (and the upcoming "B-car" joint-venture from Chrysler & Nissan), there some rumors then Mazda will bring the Mazda 2 in North America, I guess the new Fit won't stay on its throne for long.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm not overly impressed with the fuel economy numbers as they're down a hair and I'm a bit worried about the handling/steering feel, but I like everything else so far. I guess I need to go drive it, even though I'm leaning towards an HHR if I do get something.
For about the same price you can get an HHR which in my view is a much better car then the Fit and you only sacrifice a few mpgs. I am really suprised GM doesn't push this care more. I never see any ads for it, but from what I hear they are exceeding sales expectations since its inception.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
For about the same price you can get an HHR which in my view is a much better car then the Fit and you only sacrifice a few mpgs. I am really suprised GM doesn't push this care more. I never see any ads for it, but from what I hear they are exceeding sales expectations since its inception.
True, but the Fit has a sportier/lower car-like stance and better handling. And a better interior IMO, but that's subjective.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
33-35 highway is a joke for a car this small and underpowered. I understand that it is a nice package for the dough, but there is no reason why this car should be returning worse highway mpg than a Civic. And as the price creeps towards 17K (17.9 loaded with NAV) I can't imagine choosing this over the Civic.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
33-35 highway is a joke for a car this small and underpowered. I understand that it is a nice package for the dough, but there is no reason why this car should be returning worse highway mpg than a Civic. And as the price creeps towards 17K (17.9 loaded with NAV) I can't imagine choosing this over the Civic.
It may seem like a joke, but the high ass end of a wagonish hatchback is no match to the sleek sedan of the Civic. So, you get a choice. You can have a super easy to maneuver Fit for mostly city driving, with the added bonus of a highly configurable interior in spite of its short length. Or you can get a common and average Civic that is longer, and well doesn't exactly look to awesome itself. But you are on to something....you say you'd chose a Civic over a Fit, and no doubt so will most Americans. Civic will still outsell the Fit. I'm just saying the Fit will make a lot more sense for the mostly urban crowd where its superior city mpg will be more welcome than it's lack of high highway mpg. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts