GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when, or if ever GM plans to put the ecotec v8 in the savana?
I currently own a 2010 with the 4.8L v8, I use it for my carpet cleaning business.. I carry a lot of weight, so the extra horsepower and torque are something I am really looking forward to..
Additionally, fo guys like me that have a truckmount unit powered by the van, the ability to have the motor running on 4 cyl in low power situations. ( this will be all the time while I'm cleaning) will be a huge fuel saver..
If it comes out in 2016 I'm buying one, if not, I will wait as there's probably a few more good years left on my 2010

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I doubt anytime soon as the H/D trucks still get a LS engine and the sounds of it GM is NOT planning the LT for the H/D trucks and the VANS ONLY come in H/D
I doubt MDS would be operational during PTO operation anyways unless GM programmed in the function and I have not heard about that one ether

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info.. I'm not sure why gm would spend a bundle of money making a state of the art engine, then keep putting older less powerful and less efficient ones in most of the trucks.. The system I use really isn't a PTO in a true sense. ( some use the tranny).. this one just uses an electromagnetic clutch unit much like an ac compressor which engages when you turn on the machine and spins a drive shaft connected through the firewall to the unit.. a small electronic control is under the dash that ties to the ecm to idle up the engine..My understanding was all low load conditions would switch to 4 cylinder mode. it only requires about 25 hp to run the equipment at 1400 rpm

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I wish GM would make iron block 4.8L and 6.0L Gen V engines with no DOD for H/D use. They probably won't but it's wishful thinking. I would love a 320 hp 345 tq 4.8L for the vans and a 400 hp 435 tq motor for the 2500/3500 trucks.

Combined with the new 8-speed transmission you could be looking at a HD van capable of averaging 19 MPG without the need for expensive diesel fuel.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
thanks for the info.. I'm not sure why gm would spend a bundle of money making a state of the art engine, then keep putting older less powerful and less efficient ones in most of the trucks.. The system I use really isn't a PTO in a true sense. ( some use the tranny).. this one just uses an electromagnetic clutch unit much like an ac compressor which engages when you turn on the machine and spins a drive shaft connected through the firewall to the unit.. a small electronic control is under the dash that ties to the ecm to idle up the engine..My understanding was all low load conditions would switch to 4 cylinder mode. it only requires about 25 hp to run the equipment at 1400 rpm
my understanding is the ECM/electronics platform for the GEN V V8 is totally NEW and not compatible with GM previous GEN systems making the whole CAR needing an electronics upgrade which is to costly for a NEAR end of life model (Camaro/HD trucks)

MDS will NOT engage with out various vehicle speed/load/temp conditions are met and jus revving up to 1400 it WILl NOT engage
I would be worried about long term wear on the engine running in 4 cal mode constantly as EVEN GM dis engages MDS after a set period of time engaged

Sounds to me like an ELECTRIC PTO driven from a 2 MODE Hybrid system as visioned by Chrysler would offer you benefits for fuel burn BUT GM has decided the VOLT and E assist are the ONLY hybrid tech worth the effort :-(

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I would not be surprised if GM has a more powerful gas engine coming for the HD's. At this point I think direct injection might not be part of the program because of the difficulty converting such engines to gaseous fuel (CNG/LNG). Gaseous fuel capability is very important for commercial users. Of course, GM could always just continue with the L96 as a fleet option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts