GM Inside News Forum banner

Ecotec Crate Engine - good for the "Tuners"?

12K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  symbolical 
#1 ·
I've been waiting for this a long time. GM Performance Parts shouldn't be limited to carbureted V8 crate engines.

New-car buyers who modify their vehicles spend an average on $1,400 on extras. Popular items include computer chips and forced-air induction systems, as well as the usual popular aftermarket accessories such as custom wheels.

But for many drivers, brute horsepower reigns supreme. And dealers and automakers are answering the call.

Evidence of that will be on display this week at the annual Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas.

GM also plans to introduce a crate version of its four-cylinder 2.2-liter Ecotec engine. It's a supercharged motor with about 220 hp.

Before computers took over the engine's fuel and ignition systems, low-tech items such as carburetors, high-lift camshafts, headers and electronic distributors accounted for the bulk of sales of horsepower-increasing parts. But while those items are still popular, the mix is changing to include more computer-driven performance parts.

Hot rodders and performance enthusiasts who want the added power, driveability and reliability of a modern high-tech engine in their older cars and trucks now can buy ready-to-bolt-up fuel injected crate engines with integrated electronic ignitions. These engines come from the factory fully assembled and are complete with a computer that only needs to be wired into the car's electrical system.
Full Autoweek article here:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?por...t_code=03958805

#2 ·
i believe the ECOTEC crate engine is a good idea. BUT, i believe they executed it wrong. please let me elaborate:

i like the idea of it coming with the shorter stroke, to appease all of the retards that say you have to be squared to effectively use forced induction on an engine [i disagree, but at least this way they'll shut their yaps for a while :D], but by offering it supercharged, they limit the buyers to the supercharger itself. in my opinion, offering the block seperate, and the supercharger seperate, or at least, allow them to be purchased seperately, would be best.

more over, i'd prefer to buy the block and heads seperately, as they're already offered as race-spec of whatever, from GMPD, along with the crank and whatnot. personally, i love the idea of crate engines - as they offer efficiency, warranties, and ease-of-use outta the box, but i'd rather pick and chose my parts.

#3 ·
Can't wait to see what Garyhoov will say about those numbers. :rolleyes: :D

It did say "about" 220.

I am with the mack on this one, although I wouldn't say it was executed wrong, just that it could have been done better. While I am very excited about this engine, I am somewhat perplexed by the configuration. We could also use some better data on the specs. Is it intended to be a bolt in replacement? Does it include a stand-alone PCM? Why not just a long block with forged pistons and rods(People want turbos too)? Anyway, this is just the first in a line of supposed Eco crates, so, we will just have to wait and see. Very F'n cool though. I wonder how much this puppy is going to cost?

#4 ·
holy crap, i just noticed that the link provided isn't from GM itself. don't tell that you people, the supposed resource for GM inside information, are too lazy to go to media.gm.com to read the press releases each day, and actually rely on this site for news. i in no way mean any disrespect to the people here, but some of the info on this board comes at a much later date than what is posted originally at some official sites, and you guys even have paid advertising. my auto board doesn't have a single ad, nor does it censor what is said. but i guess i've been aclimatized to the concept of free speech, and the fact that i'm not inundated with GTO ads that freeze my computer and suck my RAM up... anyway, enough of me venting.

here are some specs from GM. BTW, there's two or three tables that i can't include here, so i suggest going to the site.

http://media.gm.com/events/sema/sema03gm/s...PO_Engines.html

For Release: Oct. 28, 2003, 8 a.m. ET
GM PERFORMANCE PARTS BRINGS POWER TO SPARE WITH NEW ENGINES

People who live for acceleration and top speed know one thing – life gets better the faster you go. Well, the team at GM Performance Parts understands this and is making higher performance possible with a selection of new crate engines.

ZZ572/620
For muscle car, off-road and street-rod enthusiasts, there’s nothing more important than power. From the start line to red line, big thrust under the hood is a must. GM Performance Parts fills that need by introducing GM’s largest, most powerful street engine, the 620 horsepower ZZ572. This big rippin’, tire burnin’, butt kickin’ V-8 is for those who think excess is barely enough.

“The excitement of ‘seat of the pants’ muscle under the hood is what real hot rodders are looking for when they build up their dream machine,” said Will Handzel, program manager, GM Performance Parts. “The ZZ572/620 has all the essential ingredients that make a hot rod really ‘hot’ with the added reliability that only GM’s engineering and durability testing can provide.”

To start, this all new race block is filled with a forged 4340 steel crank with a 4.375-inch stroke, shot peened forged 4340 H-beam rods, and forged aluminum pistons with full floating wrist pins.

A new GM, tall-deck single-plane intake manifold and 850 CFM Demon carburetor deliver enough air and fuel to make 620 horsepower at 5500 rpm, and 650 ft.-lb. of torque at 4500 rpm. And, because of the redesigned rectangular port aluminum cylinder heads, all this power and performance is delivered with a gas-pump friendly 9.6 to 1 compression ratio.

ZZ572/720R
For serious racers who need great off-the-line power that’s there round after round, the GM Performance Parts 720 horsepower ZZ572 is the real deal. Built around the all-new Gen VI tall-deck Bow Tie cylinder block, this all-new race block is similar to the 620 hp ZZ572 but has more compression and a more aggressive camshaft.

“This drag racing engine is filled with hard core race parts for hard core performance and durability,” Handzel said. “It’s the engine that’s intended to quickly and consistently get a racer down the track, pass after pass, season after season. It’s probably the only ‘race engine’ on the planet that has been through ‘durability schedule’ dyno testing to provide power for a long, long time.”

The rectangular port aluminum cylinder heads produce a race gas only, 12 to 1 compression ratio, and combines with the GM tall-deck plane-intake manifold and 1095 CFM Demon carburetor to deliver 720 horsepower at 6250 rpm and 685 lb.-ft. of torque at 4500 rpm.
Since both ZZ572 engines are built in multiple completion levels – short block, base engine with intake and as a deluxe engine with carburetor and distributor – they fit any budget, usage and application.

Ecotec Supercharged 2.0-liter
For those looking to boost the performance of their small car or off-road vehicle, GM Performance Parts offers a ready to install, out of the crate solution. The Ecotec supercharged 2.0-liter for 2004 slams out an impressive 200 horsepower (estimated) at 6200 rpm and 200 lb.-ft. torque (estimated) at 4400 rpm.

At the heart of this powerful engine is an Eaton M62 helical Roots-type supercharger. GM Engineers chose the Eaton unit because of its optimum response characteristics and ease of “packaging” with the Ecotec architecture. With a maximum boost of 12 pounds, and an air to water intercooler, this unit delivers enhanced power and reduces a supercharged engine’s propensity to “knock” at high boost levels.

To attain the durability targets, the Ecotec supercharged 2.0-liter received upgraded components in critical stress areas. Experience in the tortuous crucible of the NHRA’s Championship Drag Racing series – where Ecotec has developed a “bullet-proof” reputation as a formidable powerplant for front-wheel drive dragsters – told engineers where the production supercharged Ecotec would most benefit from heavy-duty components. The result: a package built to deliver power on demand time after time, year after year.

#5 ·
Easy, Tonto! :D

No part number for the Eco and once again, is there a reflash or stand alone or what? I understand that using a flash would be less expensive but that kind of screws those that don't have a particular ECU and don't feel like rewiring their cars. I am assuming there is no info on the GMPP website and there won't be for quite a while as it doesn't even have the S/C package for the automatic J's and N's yet.

#6 ·
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 4 2003, 10:49 PM
holy crap, i just noticed that the link provided isn't from GM itself. don't tell that you people, the supposed resource for GM inside information, are too lazy to go to media.gm.com to read the press releases each day, and actually rely on this site for news. i in no way mean any disrespect to the people here, but some of the info on this board comes at a much later date than what is posted originally at some official sites, and you guys even have paid advertising.
:blink: Huh? :blink:

I'm not a staff member nor a "paid" source of information, and I posted this in the lounge to discuss.

I'm just a GMI member who posts a lot because I like this stuff.

#7 ·
Originally posted by Ming+Nov 5 2003, 11:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Nov 5 2003, 11:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mackingu@Nov 4 2003, 10:49 PM
holy crap, i just noticed that the link provided isn't from GM itself. don't tell that you people, the supposed resource for GM inside information, are too lazy to go to media.gm.com to read the press releases each day, and actually rely on this site for news. i in no way mean any disrespect to the people here, but some of the info on this board comes at a much later date than what is posted originally at some official sites, and you guys even have paid advertising.
:blink: Huh? :blink:

I'm not a staff member nor a "paid" source of information, and I posted this in the lounge to discuss.

I'm just a GMI member who posts a lot because I like this stuff. [/b][/quote]
that's wonderful, but i'm not paid, nor am i part of the "staff" here. but i mean, if someone is going to post stuff about a particular subject, and ask those for their opinions, do you not think that it would be beneficial to post official info so reader's can make an informed opninion? moreover, the thing about the advertising is just something that pisses me off. the auto forums that i'm a regular member of don't have advertisements, and the ones here piss me off because advertisements suck. moreover, they freeze my computer. that part had nothing to do with you. as i stated, i was ranting.

#10 ·
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 4 2003, 10:49 PM
holy crap, i just noticed that the link provided isn't from GM itself. don't tell that you people, that's wonderful, but i'm not paid, nor am i part of the "staff" here. but i mean, if someone is going to post stuff about a particular subject, and ask those for their opinions, do you not think that it would be beneficial to post official info so reader's can make an informed opninion?
So I guess in your opinion no publication's news is worthy, including Auto Week, The Car Connection, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, etc.?

I can only quote GM official sources of info?

<_<

Please.

Maybe if I was a staff member that would make sense.

Maybe if I was posting in the "News" (I don't think I even have access to post there), it would make sense.

But to ignore all other "non official" news? I don't think so. :woot2: That's what the LOUNGE is for. The Lounge
Almost Anything Goes....Kick Back and Relax.
Operative word here: Relax.

Maybe you should check the section you are reading before expecting official stamp-of-approval GM Certified, Lutz-signed-off-on-it-with-his-own-pen news. :rolleyes:

#11 ·
Originally posted by Ming+Nov 6 2003, 03:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ming @ Nov 6 2003, 03:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mackingu@Nov 4 2003, 10:49 PM
holy crap, i just noticed that the link provided isn't from GM itself. don't tell that you people, that's wonderful, but i'm not paid, nor am i part of the "staff" here. but i mean, if someone is going to post stuff about a particular subject, and ask those for their opinions, do you not think that it would be beneficial to post official info so reader's can make an informed opninion?
So I guess in your opinion no publication's news is worthy, including Auto Week, The Car Connection, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, etc.?

I can only quote GM official sources of info?

<_<

Please.

Maybe if I was a staff member that would make sense.

Maybe if I was posting in the "News" (I don't think I even have access to post there), it would make sense.

But to ignore all other "non official" news? I don't think so. :woot2: That's what the LOUNGE is for. The Lounge
Almost Anything Goes....Kick Back and Relax.
Operative word here: Relax.

Maybe you should check the section you are reading before expecting official stamp-of-approval GM Certified, Lutz-signed-off-on-it-with-his-own-pen news. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
hmm... did i hit a nerve? HAHAHAHA. you guys make me laugh.

and why are you buchering my post, and editing the quote you're taking from me? your tomfoolerly and shenanigans are not match for my superior wit. :lol:

anyway, on a serious note, i never said everything has to be official, but if you want to do things right, may i suggest that you get the best or most accurate and complete information? i never said that i would - or was - ignore unofficial information found on the internet or in literature, but that is to be taken with a grain of salt.

i've read here, on numerous occasions, that the mags are belittled because they're inacurate, and here you are, touting them to be reliable [no matter to what degree]. sure, i know that i'm generalizing you with the rest of the going public here, but you're one of those active posters and i feel that i can. so i will. har har.

posting in the news or lounge forum makes no difference to me. i'm just a transient here, so the rules you keep so dear to your heart regarding this site means nothing to me. this is just another site for me to read, and if need be, post a few comments. really now, slick, you shouldn't get your panties twisted in a bunch over a comment on the internet. you're liable to bust a blood vessel. :bounce:

as for the lounge and its "Almost Anything Goes" atmosphere, that is far, far from the truth. its more akin, in my opninion, to a lie. i'm sure its great in for this particular forum - but i feel that limiting and imposing rules on the posters here makes for some rather dry and boring posts. moreover, it's a little despotic of the admins here, and is close minded in that regard. if you ever want freedom, you're welcome to join www.LS6.com. i'm not trying to advertise for this site, as i've never done it before now, but if you want to have free speech, and the right to say whatever, whenever you want, go here. if you feel that this site is too childish and whatnot, it just proves that you're ignorant and small minded.

anyway, have fun thinking of a retort to this post.

p.s. what's "the car connection"? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

#12 ·
mackingu,

Dude, relax! I read your posts on this subject and this is what I get. You don't like pop up ads, you don't like pop up ads about the GTO, you have your own site with no pop up ads, you have a serious migraine. Like I said relax! I read here quite often and like you, I guess, I am a transient. I don't get paid to post here I just do because Brandon and the guys are a great group to probe for information I wouldn't normally get for months later, and they seem to be nice guys. Now if you have your own site and it doesn't have pop-ups, which it seems that you hate, then go post there. Seems simple enough. BTW I haven't seen a pop up on this site ever, is it just me?

#13 ·
mackingu,

If you have a problem with the admins or how this board is run, then either post in the feedback forum, or send a PM to either Branden or I. You don't have ads on your site. That's great. Good for you. I don't have ads on my personal site. GMI has ads for a reason, and that's to offset the cost of the expenses.

As for news, GMI staff members post news articles in the news forums. Any regular member is allowed to post whatever interesting articles they find in the lounge, not the news forums. Just because someone posts a link in the lounge, doesn't mean it's the most up to date or most accurate. They have nothing to do with GMI or the staff except they want to post here. Not everyone wants to goto GM's media site, and that's their choice.

As far as rules, we have rules on this site for a reason. You agreed to these rules when you signed up. If you don't like them or don't agree to these rules, I'll be more then happy to delete your account for you. Whether or not you like the rules or rules in general, you agreed to them, and you've already broken at least 2. If you have a problem with how this site or how it's run, then why continue comeing here? We never said there was freedom of speech here. Certain things are not allowed, and for a good reason.

I suggest you stop attacking other members as well as the staff here. Be happy I didn't lock your account as I was tempted to do. I think you're a nice guy, so don't make me realize I was wrong in thinking that. Next outburst and you may not be posting here for awhile.

As I said, if you wish to discuss something, then PM Branden or I.

BK

#14 ·
Originally posted by 91z4me@Nov 6 2003, 11:26 PM
mackingu,

Dude, relax! I read your posts on this subject and this is what I get. You don't like pop up ads, you don't like pop up ads about the GTO, you have your own site with no pop up ads, you have a serious migraine. Like I said relax! I read here quite often and like you, I guess, I am a transient. I don't get paid to post here I just do because Brandon and the guys are a great group to probe for information I wouldn't normally get for months later, and they seem to be nice guys. Now if you have your own site and it doesn't have pop-ups, which it seems that you hate, then go post there. Seems simple enough. BTW I haven't seen a pop up on this site ever, is it just me?
91z4me,

it seems to me that you have issues with reading comprehension. i am relaxed, i don't have my own site, i don't have a migraine, and no, i haven't seen a pop-up here either. as i stated before, i come here to read and when applicable to the thread, i'll post my own comment. the fact that there are ads and such, that kill my system resources, does not change the fact that i feel entitled, ney, my duty, to share my knowledge and inform you, the lesser people of the 'net. :bounce: HAHAHAHHAHAHA. like i said before, when i started posting here, it's so easy to get you guys in a hissy fit.

i mean, i posted something here, there were a few replies after it, and i believe i was even quoted, and no one had any problems. but some guy with a chip on his shoulder pops his cherry and starts crying. i mean, hey, i didn't intend to offend anyone. and if anyone was offended, either get a backbone, or don't read my posts. sounds simple enough.

hugs and kisses. :ninja: :ph34r:

#16 ·
Originally posted by Skie@Nov 6 2003, 11:57 PM
mackingu,

If you have a problem with the admins or how this board is run, then either post in the feedback forum, or send a PM to either Branden or I. You don't have ads on your site. That's great. Good for you. I don't have ads on my personal site. GMI has ads for a reason, and that's to offset the cost of the expenses.

As for news, GMI staff members post news articles in the news forums. Any regular member is allowed to post whatever interesting articles they find in the lounge, not the news forums. Just because someone posts a link in the lounge, doesn't mean it's the most up to date or most accurate. They have nothing to do with GMI or the staff except they want to post here. Not everyone wants to goto GM's media site, and that's their choice.

As far as rules, we have rules on this site for a reason. You agreed to these rules when you signed up. If you don't like them or don't agree to these rules, I'll be more then happy to delete your account for you. Whether or not you like the rules or rules in general, you agreed to them, and you've already broken at least 2. If you have a problem with how this site or how it's run, then why continue comeing here? We never said there was freedom of speech here. Certain things are not allowed, and for a good reason.

I suggest you stop attacking other members as well as the staff here. Be happy I didn't lock your account as I was tempted to do. I think you're a nice guy, so don't make me realize I was wrong in thinking that. Next outburst and you may not be posting here for awhile.

BK
skie,

hi. BTW, who are you? i'm guessing you're a mod or an admin? anyway, who've i attacked? maybe, indirectly, you have, or another member, mistaken something i've said for an attack on someone, but really now, i haven't. on the otherhand, i've been attacked by 96zeefourme. did i make any comment to him [before his posting here]? nope. has he posted here recently? nope. do i know or have any previous experience with him? nope. but he felt the need to come out of the woodwork and attack me. but why aren't you talking to him about what he's done, and instead are talking to me? sure, this is your site or whatever, and you may do what you please, but why are you playing favourites?

on to the admins. now, i didn't say that i have a problem with them, now did i? sure, i think the way everyone is "oppressed" here sucks, and that limiting members to certain things [like i said before, limits within reason should be in place] is total BS, but i never said that i have a problem with the admins/mods themselves. i think stuff like this is funny in a macabre kind of way, but alas, it makes things a little less fun. am i saying that you guys should get rid of the swear/cussing censorship? no. but it would be fun. swearing is a great way to elicit one's emotions, espcially on the internet which is so devoid of feelings. HAHAHA. i crack myself up.

now, on to the rules part. if i've offended anyone, i can offer nothing but an apology and some words of advice - grow some thick skin. i really can't believe anyone gets offended on the 'net, especially on a BBS/forum. i guess that's just me though. now, if you wanted to delete my account, i don't see why you didn't. hell, i would have deleted my account if i were you. but don't think deleting my account means you have the last word. it doesn't change how anyone feels and is more like a bandaid solution to something - sure, a bandaid is nice to have to makes everything feel better, but it doesn't really help anything. someone will always be there to replace me. i'm sure there have been more than enough morons to come through here, only to get banned, and i'm pretty sure i'm not going to be the last moron either.

now, like you've mentioned, i have a problem - not so much with this site, but more with the way the site is run [for instance, the restrictions implied on everyone's part that i mentioned above]. because i have a problem does not necessarily mean that i should stop coming here [unless i was asked not to, or banned]. that's one of those argumentative fallacies, although i forget the name. but i digress. i can't believe i'm saying this for the umpteenth time, but i come here to read. when i read something i feel i can make a comment worth making, i make it. i can't help it if what i say offends someone. i can't know what will, or will not, offend each and every person who reads this site.

i do agree that i'm a nice guy. just ask sykboy. :D

p.s. which rules did i break?

#17 ·
Originally posted by PontiacJ8+Nov 7 2003, 12:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PontiacJ8 @ Nov 7 2003, 12:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mackingu@Nov 5 2003, 11:12 PM
great googly-moogly! what is that, trubo'd? where'd you shank that picture. it's beauty at its best.
sorry didn't realize at the time it was a Turbo (tired... :unsure: ) I got the picture off of the GM Media Site from the 2003 SEMA Pics. [/b][/quote]
smoking herb, weren't 'cha? just kiddin' :p anyway, do you have any more, or at least, a bigger version of that pic?

#18 ·
Originally posted by mackingu+Nov 6 2003, 08:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mackingu @ Nov 6 2003, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Skie@Nov 6 2003, 11:57 PM
mackingu,

If you have a problem with the admins or how this board is run, then either post in the feedback forum, or send a PM to either Branden or I.  You don't have ads on your site.  That's great.  Good for you.  I don't have ads on my personal site.  GMI has ads for a reason, and that's to offset the cost of the expenses. 

As for news, GMI staff members post news articles in the news forums.  Any regular member is allowed to post whatever interesting articles they find in the lounge, not the news forums.  Just because someone posts a link in the lounge, doesn't mean it's the most up to date or most accurate.  They have nothing to do with GMI or the staff except they want to post here.  Not everyone wants to goto GM's media site, and that's their choice. 

As far as rules, we have rules on this site for a reason.  You agreed to these rules when you signed up.  If you don't like them or don't agree to these rules, I'll be more then happy to delete your account for you.  Whether or not you like the rules or rules in general, you agreed to them, and you've already broken at least 2.  If you have a problem with how this site or how it's run, then why continue comeing here?  We never said there was freedom of speech here.  Certain things are not allowed, and for a good reason. 

I suggest you stop attacking other members as well as the staff here.  Be happy I didn't lock your account as I was tempted to do.  I think you're a nice guy, so don't make me realize I was wrong in thinking that.  Next outburst and you may not be posting here for awhile.

BK
skie,

hi. BTW, who are you? i'm guessing you're a mod or an admin? anyway, who've i attacked? maybe, indirectly, you have, or another member, mistaken something i've said for an attack on someone, but really now, i haven't. on the otherhand, i've been attacked by 96zeefourme. did i make any comment to him [before his posting here]? nope. has he posted here recently? nope. do i know or have any previous experience with him? nope. but he felt the need to come out of the woodwork and attack me. but why aren't you talking to him about what he's done, and instead are talking to me? sure, this is your site or whatever, and you may do what you please, but why are you playing favourites?

on to the admins. now, i didn't say that i have a problem with them, now did i? sure, i think the way everyone is "oppressed" here sucks, and that limiting members to certain things [like i said before, limits within reason should be in place] is total BS, but i never said that i have a problem with the admins/mods themselves. i think stuff like this is funny in a macabre kind of way, but alas, it makes things a little less fun. am i saying that you guys should get rid of the swear/cussing censorship? no. but it would be fun. swearing is a great way to elicit one's emotions, espcially on the internet which is so devoid of feelings. HAHAHA. i crack myself up.

now, on to the rules part. if i've offended anyone, i can offer nothing but an apology and some words of advice - grow some thick skin. i really can't believe anyone gets offended on the 'net, especially on a BBS/forum. i guess that's just me though. now, if you wanted to delete my account, i don't see why you didn't. hell, i would have deleted my account if i were you. but don't think deleting my account means you have the last word. it doesn't change how anyone feels and is more like a bandaid solution to something - sure, a bandaid is nice to have to makes everything feel better, but it doesn't really help anything. someone will always be there to replace me. i'm sure there have been more than enough morons to come through here, only to get banned, and i'm pretty sure i'm not going to be the last moron either.

now, like you've mentioned, i have a problem - not so much with this site, but more with the way the site is run [for instance, the restrictions implied on everyone's part that i mentioned above]. because i have a problem does not necessarily mean that i should stop coming here [unless i was asked not to, or banned]. that's one of those argumentative fallacies, although i forget the name. but i digress. i can't believe i'm saying this for the umpteenth time, but i come here to read. when i read something i feel i can make a comment worth making, i make it. i can't help it if what i say offends someone. i can't know what will, or will not, offend each and every person who reads this site.

i do agree that i'm a nice guy. just ask sykboy. :D

p.s. which rules did i break? [/b][/quote]
If you look at the left side of my posts, you'll see that I'm an admin.

holy crap, i just noticed that the link provided isn't from GM itself. don't tell that you people, the supposed resource for GM inside information, are too lazy to go to media.gm.com to read the press releases each day, and actually rely on this site for news.
Here, you attack the site in general and the staff, even though the starter of this thread is just a regular member.

as for the lounge and its "Almost Anything Goes" atmosphere, that is far, far from the truth. its more akin, in my opninion, to a lie. i'm sure its great in for this particular forum - but i feel that limiting and imposing rules on the posters here makes for some rather dry and boring posts. moreover, it's a little despotic of the admins here, and is close minded in that regard.
Here, you're specifically attacking the admins.

There are several smaller incidences as well. As far as the language filters, when in a professional setting, there is no reason to swear or use such language. If you do, you look childish and immature. To do so outside a professional just makes look childish. Regardless of whether or not someone sees this site as professional or not, it strives to be. There's no reason to have such stuff. Just like there's no reason to have porn here. If you want that stuff, there are plenty of sites out there for that. We don't need to add one more.

If you're gonna write someone's name, at least spell it right so I can look up the right posts. ;) As far as I see it, what he says doesn't come close to what you've been saying. I'm not playing favorites as I don't know either of you, nor do I really remember either of you posting before.

Yes this is the internet, however, there are those that look for nothing else but to cause problems. Are you one of those? It's people like this that ruin communities (online or off). Allowing things to get out of hand is counter productive to what this site is about. Sure, some people get bent out of shape at things that get said, but you can't control who visits and posts, or do I care to. We're running a site that appeals to a large number of people. We're not here to take everyone in. That's impossible. There will be some that think we're too strict and others that think we're too leniant (however you spell that). Yet most will find that things are just right.

Yes there will be one trouble maker after another. There's nothing you can do about it. But letting them cause trouble will destroy this site and most people will leave. That's why the rules are in place. One reason is so that mods and admins don't go making up rules as they see fit.

Again, if you have issues with certain rules or how things are done, you can always PM an admin to discuss it.

If you'd like to discuss this issue some more, please PM me so that we can stop hijacking Ming's thread. :)

If you need a refresher on the rules, the link is pinned at the top of the Lounge. Or you can click here.

As far as the rules you're breaking, look at #3 and #12.

BK.

#19 ·
wow this post really has been hyjacked
mockingu u should really carry on ur "suggestions" in another forum or through pms
the people who run this site are great they never go off on u unless u go off on them and even then they dont go and kick u off like some other mods/admins would do and they do not change anything in the posts unless it is needed to keep this a family site not some random annoying forum
why do u diss them so much even when they give u reasons why they do things?

an for more on topic that engine that pontiac j8 showed is awsome anyone have a idea if it is supercharged or turboed

#20 ·
Originally posted by hockey81289@Nov 7 2003, 02:55 AM
wow this post really has been hyjacked
mockingu u should really carry on ur "suggestions" in another forum or through pms
the people who run this site are great they never go off on u unless u go off on them and even then they dont go and kick u off like some other mods/admins would do and they do not change anything in the posts unless it is needed to keep this a family site not some random annoying forum
why do u diss them so much even when they give u reasons why they do things?

an for more on topic that engine that pontiac j8 showed is awsome anyone have a idea if it is supercharged or turboed
that's cute, you called me "mockingu"; how original.

anyway, i await any PMs from anyone willing to send them. so far, i've recieved two PMs since i've been here - one from someone about a site called "all cars chat" from NSAP and another from i think "john o" about the site i normally frequent [i can only assume that he wanted to join]. anyway, people keep posting here regarding me and their beef, so i'll continue it here unless someone wants to create a forum specifically for me.

now, i dont' know why people keep mentioning how great they think the admins/mods are here. i have nothing bad to say about any of them. moreover, i never accused any of them of changing posts - but please, don't get that confused with the member that DID edit a quote from me, and please, for the love of homer, could everyone here stop saying that i've dissed anyone. i have not, in fact, dissed anyone [of any importance that is :D]. i haven't punked skie or the brandon/en, so could everyone stop with the false accusations? actually, no, keep on doing it. it's rather entertaining. :mf_boff:

now, for the engine related part of your post. if you had cared to read the previous posts, you'd have noticed that i quite correctly stated that the engine that was posted was in fact a turbo'd ECOTEC [probably the 2.0L destroked version like the saab, saturns, holdens and opels]. i posted the 2.0L SC ECOTEC as well, if you want to see the difference. you can tell which one is the turbo because it has the turbo hanging off the back of the block with a shinny new manifold on the front.

#21 ·
great googly-moogly! what is that, trubo'd? where'd you shank that picture. it's beauty at its best.
"great googly-moogly" - OMG I laughed my *** off when I read that, I haven't heard it in so long. Anyway, that's the Ecotec drag car engine with 1000hp dude. I don't think its very streetable, heh heh. You can build it as the parts are all available from GM if anyone is nuts enough to do it. :D

#22 ·
Originally posted by 02eco@Nov 7 2003, 09:41 PM
"great googly-moogly" - OMG I laughed my *** off when I read that, I haven't heard it in so long. Anyway, that's the Ecotec drag car engine with 1000hp dude. I don't think its very streetable, heh heh. You can build it as the parts are all available from GM if anyone is nuts enough to do it. :D
not all of the parts. i've found blow-off vavles, i've seen the blank cams, but i still haven't found the matching blower or turbo system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.