GM Inside News Forum banner

Ecotec Crate Engine - good for the "Tuners"?

12K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  symbolical 
#1 ·
I've been waiting for this a long time. GM Performance Parts shouldn't be limited to carbureted V8 crate engines.

New-car buyers who modify their vehicles spend an average on $1,400 on extras. Popular items include computer chips and forced-air induction systems, as well as the usual popular aftermarket accessories such as custom wheels.

But for many drivers, brute horsepower reigns supreme. And dealers and automakers are answering the call.

Evidence of that will be on display this week at the annual Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas.

GM also plans to introduce a crate version of its four-cylinder 2.2-liter Ecotec engine. It's a supercharged motor with about 220 hp.

Before computers took over the engine's fuel and ignition systems, low-tech items such as carburetors, high-lift camshafts, headers and electronic distributors accounted for the bulk of sales of horsepower-increasing parts. But while those items are still popular, the mix is changing to include more computer-driven performance parts.

Hot rodders and performance enthusiasts who want the added power, driveability and reliability of a modern high-tech engine in their older cars and trucks now can buy ready-to-bolt-up fuel injected crate engines with integrated electronic ignitions. These engines come from the factory fully assembled and are complete with a computer that only needs to be wired into the car's electrical system.
Full Autoweek article here:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?por...t_code=03958805

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 4 2003, 10:49 PM
holy crap, i just noticed that the link provided isn't from GM itself. don't tell that you people, the supposed resource for GM inside information, are too lazy to go to media.gm.com to read the press releases each day, and actually rely on this site for news. i in no way mean any disrespect to the people here, but some of the info on this board comes at a much later date than what is posted originally at some official sites, and you guys even have paid advertising.
:blink: Huh? :blink:

I'm not a staff member nor a "paid" source of information, and I posted this in the lounge to discuss.

I'm just a GMI member who posts a lot because I like this stuff.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by mackingu@Nov 4 2003, 10:49 PM
holy crap, i just noticed that the link provided isn't from GM itself. don't tell that you people, that's wonderful, but i'm not paid, nor am i part of the "staff" here. but i mean, if someone is going to post stuff about a particular subject, and ask those for their opinions, do you not think that it would be beneficial to post official info so reader's can make an informed opninion?
So I guess in your opinion no publication's news is worthy, including Auto Week, The Car Connection, Motor Trend, Car & Driver, etc.?

I can only quote GM official sources of info?

<_<

Please.

Maybe if I was a staff member that would make sense.

Maybe if I was posting in the "News" (I don't think I even have access to post there), it would make sense.

But to ignore all other "non official" news? I don't think so. :woot2: That's what the LOUNGE is for. The Lounge
Almost Anything Goes....Kick Back and Relax.
Operative word here: Relax.

Maybe you should check the section you are reading before expecting official stamp-of-approval GM Certified, Lutz-signed-off-on-it-with-his-own-pen news. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.